Starting tomorrow March 9th- 2nd time around

alissaks

I did a Whole 30 in sept/Oct last year and enjoyed the process of discovery.  Perhaps I enjoyed it more after the fact but the biggest piece was I was very proud of myself, which is not a feeling I have too often.  in the past 6 weeks, I have herniated discs in my back, which has completely eliminated my Crossfit workouts, started a new and very stressful job and worst of all, our house caught on fire.  Although we are now back in the house the 3 weeks of having to eat out almost every meal, definitely took it's toll.  

My partner and I have followed paleo eating for a few years but always have setbacks, which for me, correlate with my constant injuries.  When I am in the zone of working out, I have a better connection with my body and less desire to add crap to it.  Once my life hits a speed bump (or sinkhole), I start to not care if I have french fries and other salty food that aren't good for me.

Anyway, I am starting the Whole 30 tomorrow to gain some control of my life and feel good about myself.  Let the meal planning begin!

I just found this on the Internet an hour ago....I need help! I am a 47 year old woman morbidly obese addicted to food! Yikes! I can't stop eating! I know I am addicted to sugar! Flour, and wheat...and possibly dairy and whatever else I need to eliminate on this whole30 program! Starting my whole30 tomorrow....hopefully I can find my way back to this spot to check in....

You had a lot of bad luck to cope with past weeks! Hope it changes now! Would you mind if I join you? I've been struggling to complete a whole30 so a good example who keeps me going would be great!

Do you know what has kept you from finishing in the past?  I would find it really difficult to do if I didn't have the support of my partner.  I do most of the cooking in the house, and thankfully, I like to cook and think I'm pretty good at it, so that helps.  I also am a big planner, so plan out my meals on Sunday and try to do some prep then too.  I did that today but somehow I just realized I have no plan for lunch tomorrow.  What was I thinking?!

Anyway, I'm sure you've thought about what has occurred in the past to keep you from finishing, so hopefully you can get past those stumbling blocks.  It is worth it.  Don't think of the 30 days and all the things you can't have.  Just think about this week and what you need to do to stay on track.  Of course you can do this

I just found this on the Internet an hour ago....I need help! I am a 47 year old woman morbidly obese addicted to food! Yikes! I can't stop eating! I know I am addicted to sugar! Flour, and wheat...and possibly dairy and whatever else I need to eliminate on this whole30 program! Starting my whole30 tomorrow....hopefully I can find my way back to this spot to check in....

Good for you for searching and trying to find some help.  That is honestly the first step, recognizing that a change needs to happen.  This is a great site.  Ask lots of questions but also, be kind to yourself.  Food addiction is incredibly difficult and takes time to work through.  You didn't arrive where you are in one day and it will take lots of effort and a commitment to yourself to overcome years of eating choices that may not have been optimal.  BUT, the amazing thing is, you can do this.  It is all about you.  One day at a time really is true to move forward.  But know that each time you put something healthier in your body, you are making a choice to care about you.  Good Luck!

Hi Alissa and other March 9 start-daters

This is the first day of my 2nd W30 as well.  I successfully completed my first Whole 30 6 months ago.   Felt and looked great!  Holidays and surgery and just life in general, have lead me back to relying on some unhealthy coping mechanisms like wine, sugar, flour and generally foods that are not my body's friends.  Spring is sprunging (new word :-)) soon and I would like to have a fresh and healthy body.  Looking forward to staying accountable with the gang here to help get me and all of us through April 7 ( if I counted correctly).

Ready, Set, Go W30!!!

KellyGirl

So far so good. ..breakfast black coffee with 1drop peppermint essential oil. Sauteed greens, peppers, and tomatoe 2 fried eggs...all cooked in bacon greese...not sure if that is ok...greese from meat? And some avocado

Is it ok to post what I eat here? I need accountability and encouragement. ..

Lunch....huge salad...greens. peppers. Tomatoes. Cauliflower. Carrots. Jalapeno. Banana peppers. Hard boiled egg. Avocado. Balsamic vinegar. Coconut oil

Good for you for searching and trying to find some help. That is honestly the first step, recognizing that a change needs to happen. This is a great site. Ask lots of questions but also, be kind to yourself. Food addiction is incredibly difficult and takes time to work through. You didn't arrive where you are in one day and it will take lots of effort and a commitment to yourself to overcome years of eating choices that may not have been optimal. BUT, the amazing thing is, you can do this. It is all about you. One day at a time really is true to move forward. But know that each time you put something healthier in your body, you are making a choice to care about you. Good Luck!

Thank you. Food addiction is horrible...I know my body is actually just starved of nutrients because I give it such junk...I have eaten healthy whole foods for different times in my life but can never stick with it and gain any weight I had lost back. At times it seems very hopeless but I haven't given up. On paleo sites I have heard people say that junk is not even on their radar any more...they don't even want them. ..that is my dream...for life...sounds impossible but I know nothing is impossible. ...

So far so good. ..breakfast black coffee with 1drop peppermint essential oil. Sauteed greens, peppers, and tomatoe 2 fried eggs...all cooked in bacon greese...not sure if that is ok...greese from meat? And some avocado

Lunch....huge salad...greens. peppers. Tomatoes. Cauliflower. Carrots. Jalapeno. Banana peppers. Hard boiled egg. Avocado. Balsamic vinegar. Coconut oil

Way to get started today.  Just so you know, people post their logs of food on the log topic, which is further down on the main forum page.  So, each night, I will go back to my previous entry and add the next day.  The log topic is a great spot to get meal ideas.

As for your post, I always cook my eggs in the bacon grease, so I consider it fine.  It isn't exactly the healthiest fat but sure is tasty!  Your salad looks awesome but make sure you get enough protein in there.  One egg is probably not sufficient.

I would love to join you!  I started my second Whole 30 today!  I want to get back to that clearer/lighter feeling.  I read this article this morning about the 2nd time around.  http://whole30.com/2015/02/second-whole30/

I'm ready to get back into prep & planning!   What are your favorite go to meals? 

Cool, I will check out that article.  I am a big planner, so I plan my meals on Sunday and write it on our board, so if I'm home late, my partner can get it started or at least know what my plan was.  Today's dinner was Cottage Pie, which also gives me leftovers for at least 2 lunches.  That is typically what I do and it works for me.  Sometimes, I'll make a meatloaf on Sunday, along with a bunch of veggies and have that most days for lunch.  The Well Fed cookbook is great as is her blog, The Clothes Make the Girl.

Hi Alissa and other March 9 start-daters

This is the first day of my 2nd W30 as well.  I successfully completed my first Whole 30 6 months ago.   Felt and looked great!  Holidays and surgery and just life in general, have lead me back to relying on some unhealthy coping mechanisms like wine, sugar, flour and generally foods that are not my body's friends.  Spring is sprunging (new word :-)) soon and I would like to have a fresh and healthy body.  Looking forward to staying accountable with the gang here to help get me and all of us through April 7 ( if I counted correctly).

Ready, Set, Go W30!!!

KellyGirl

I am so with you in wanting to feel I'm in a healthier body.  I hope you had a successful first day!

Thanks...I need food ideas....I will check out the other forum! Thanks for the lunch protein tip too...I made it thru my 1st day! How was the cottage pie? Is kerrygold butter ok? Yesterday. I was very depressed and I had a headache...also starting a cold or possibly detox flu like symptoms?...I have had them before so bad I couldn't get out of bed except to throw up. The good...I slept amazingly awesome!

Hi there, would love to join. It's my first time doing the Whole30. I eat pretty clean normally but am addicted to my mostly decaf coffees with milk and sugar and diet soda once a week (a big cut back from earlier in life). Latest bad habits have been wine drinking and then chowing down on treats at night. Want to show myself I still have the ability to commit to something and stick with it even if it's hard. That's a great idea to add peppermint oil to coffee!! 

I'm a 47 year old female with 2 little ones (4 and 6), and a lot of driving them to different schools. My husband is trying to eat better but won't commit to the Whole30, and will about once  a week break down and bust out some wine, which is then hard for me to resist. His family is Italian and loves eating. They will all be coming here this weekend to celebrate my son's 7th birthday. There will be cake, sweets, gluten galore. I suppose I just need to have a plan for yummy food and fruit treats instead of dessert. I found myself eating a lot of grapes last night.

Anyway, enough rambling. I don't have the time.

Look forward to taking this journey with support!

Vicki

• Administrators

Bacon fat is fine, it's one of the things though that should be "best raised" as any toxins are going to be stored in the fat.  If your bacon is compliant (sugar free) and properly raised, using the fat is fine.

Did you only have one egg on your salad? If eggs are the only protein, a serving is as many as you can hold in your hand, for most people that is at least 3-4.  

Whole30 is not a veggie-only reduced calorie diet, we want you to eat; protein, fat and veggies in a balanced quantity that fits your context.

OMG...day one....slept amazing! Day two...major pooh! Normally very constipated...ugh Day three...major blow out....sinuses...normally my head is so stuffed and congested all the time! Still very congested but hoping more relief to come!!!! I am lovin this so far....

So far my food is very the same all the time ....easy...I know it is safe....will need variety...I still need to check out the recipes and maybe a food log...where people log what they eat daily....I need that for ideas....

Bacon fat is fine, it's one of the things though that should be "best raised" as any toxins are going to be stored in the fat.  If your bacon is compliant (sugar free) and properly raised, using the fat is fine.

Did you only have one egg on your salad? If eggs are the only protein, a serving is as many as you can hold in your hand, for most people that is at least 3-4.  

Whole30 is not a veggie-only reduced calorie diet, we want you to eat; protein, fat and veggies in a balanced quantity that fits your context.

I did only have 1 egg but have since added other protein like a burger or chicken....I love it when told to eat more!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I am mostly eating salad and eggs and protein...oh yea and besides bacon grease, coconut oil and avocados....I am having amazing things happen that I never expected! I have eaten whole foods before but never giving up all these food groups at the same time...aka elimination diet...this is exciting to see daily unexpected improvement!

Hi there, would love to join. It's my first time doing the Whole30. I eat pretty clean normally but am addicted to my mostly decaf coffees with milk and sugar and diet soda once a week (a big cut back from earlier in life). Latest bad habits have been wine drinking and then chowing down on treats at night. Want to show myself I still have the ability to commit to something and stick with it even if it's hard. That's a great idea to add peppermint oil to coffee!! 

I'm a 47 year old female with 2 little ones (4 and 6), and a lot of driving them to different schools. My husband is trying to eat better but won't commit to the Whole30, and will about once  a week break down and bust out some wine, which is then hard for me to resist. His family is Italian and loves eating. They will all be coming here this weekend to celebrate my son's 7th birthday. There will be cake, sweets, gluten galore. I suppose I just need to have a plan for yummy food and fruit treats instead of dessert. I found myself eating a lot of grapes last night.

Vicki

Hi Vicki...I'm 47 too and have 2 kids, mine are 8and 9. Both boys! This morning I put cocoa essential oil in my coffee and it was yummy too!

Hello,  I started (over) March 9th also.  I'm in a few other threads, but like to see what everyone is doing.  So, we all seem to be on day 3.  Like you, I am 49 (50 next month !) and I have a 12 year old girl and an 8 year old boy with Autism.  The simpler meals the better.  Trying to get everyone in the house to eat like me, but alas, they are loathe to give up their mac and cheese and chicken nuggets.  

I originally started on February 23rd, but Saturday night I had an egg roll because I was starving and it was the only thing in front of me, so I ate it, and now I am starting over (don't ask about Sunday!), so I decided to make Monday the 9th my first official "perfect" day.  This is my first time, but I already feel like an old hat at it because I went two weeks, and what I learned so far is (for me anyway) the weight doesn't just fall off, you have to do some prep work, chopping, slicing, shopping, etc., and I find it's best to keep my meals simple and colorful.  I can seriously eat the same thing every day for breakfast without tiring of it because it's so good !  Waiting for the restful sleep to come back.  It's amazing how one slip can throw your whole body off.  Now, I will be whole30 well into Easter where I have a camping weekend planned.  I will stay strong.  The drinking in the evenings will be missed, but for the best.  I'll be the designated kid watcher, and feel so good the next day.  They are going to hate me in the mornings :).

Vicki

I would find this REALLY difficult if I were doing it alone.  When I did this last fall, my partner did a paleo challenge at our Crossfit gym at the same time.  His was less strict, but we both cut out alcohol and have actually stuck to that pretty much, which has been surprising.  I think what the Whole30 is for me is becoming more aware of that mindless eating.  A piece of chocolate at work, a handful of chips, a kind bar AND eating 3 meals.  It also has pushed me to add more veggies back, although we weren't so bad about that.

Good luck with this weekend and yes, having a plan for food is the way to go and just thinking that this is not forever.  It is one day where lots of tempting food will be in your face but you will feel awesome when you make the choice to not give in.  You will be really proud of yourself and that's a great feeling.  And just know that after the 30 days, you will decide what you want to add back into your life and have at times. 

I would find this REALLY difficult if I were doing it alone.  When I did this last fall, my partner did a paleo challenge at our Crossfit gym at the same time.  His was less strict, but we both cut out alcohol and have actually stuck to that pretty much, which has been surprising.  I think what the Whole30 is for me is becoming more aware of that mindless eating.  A piece of chocolate at work, a handful of chips, a kind bar AND eating 3 meals.  It also has pushed me to add more veggies back, although we weren't so bad about that.

Good luck with this weekend and yes, having a plan for food is the way to go and just thinking that this is not forever.  It is one day where lots of tempting food will be in your face but you will feel awesome when you make the choice to not give in.  You will be really proud of yourself and that's a great feeling.  And just know that after the 30 days, you will decide what you want to add back into your life and have at times. 

Thank you! I've already figured out a few things that help and will help in the future, like putting the leftovers away right away especially the children's food. It has made me aware of mindless eating. Again, with the kids...grabbing a fry here or there when we're out to eat and they're eating junkier than usual. That's great about your partner. My husband has recently cut out a lot of things and is eating better and cut back on alcohol, so that helps. 

Thank you for your advice. It helps!!

Let's see...today is day 4... Last night I did not sleep well because I kept feeling my legs start to cramp up. Never went into a full blown Charlie horse...thank God....today I am upping my water intake to try to keep my from getting cramps tonight. Any other suggestions...is bullion ok on this program?

• Administrators

Bullion would be like anything else, check the ingredients. If you're talking about the cubes or powders I can almost certainly say they would not be compliant.  Try making your own bone broth?

I started my first Whole 30 yesterday. I would like to join your group. I had been eating Paleo but had fallen off the wagon badly. I decided I needed to do something much more defined to help get my irritable bowel syndrome back in control. So, here I am on day 2 and feeling better than before I started. I hope this trend continues.

Archived