My recap--30 days done!

EmilyK

So! I just finished eating my last meal on my last day of my first whole30.  I have a very detailed recap here:  https://fumblingtowardself.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/whole-2/

Here are some highlights:

I lost nine pounds, 2 1/2" off my chest and hips and 1 1/2" off my waist.  I dropped two clothing sizes.  I have gone a LONG way in healing my relationship with food and my physical health.  I'm sleeping well and eating so much delicious food.  I've tried new foods, new recipes, and I've made fantastic strides across all areas of my life that began with cleaning up my nutrition.

I've learned a lot about myself and my body, and I hope in the next couple of weeks as I dabble in reintroduction I will learn even more.  This has been an amazing experience that I am so glad I gave myself.  

I hope to continue to build on the energy I've found and continue on my journey toward even better health.

Congratulations Emily!!! I'm so happy for you. The work you invested into you and your whole 30 returned multiple fold. So many NSV as well as quantitative victories! I hope you continue on your amazing journey of discovery and healing...and send a few recipes north of the border. :)

Thanks, Eva.  :)  I will share any recipe you want--this really was such a fun and positive experience overall, especially in the later half.  One thing I had to deal with was my discomfort with investing this much time and energy into myself.  In general, I come last--that's just how it is.  But taking this month to really focus on and, as you said, invest in myself was so invaluable.  I'm not done learning yet, but I can't believe how far I've come.

Also, my husband (the dropout) surprised me with a congratulations card hidden in my purse this morning.  I guess I'll keep him, even if he is eating girl scout cookies in front of me. ;)

Full disclosure: I read the long version of your post via your blog. I think you're (as the kids say) crushing it. Your mindfulness, awareness and enthusiasm are going to go a long way in forming the foundation for a happier, healthier life. I'm not married and have no kids but I totally get where you're coming from about family and coming last. I *am* an Asian daughter. I'm the shopping mule in the family and the cook. :)

Coming to the realisation that you count, that you're worth the work, money and time by undertaking your whole 30 - doing all that upstream swimming - it says something to you and the rest of your family. They may not quite hear it (yet), but they'll eventually come around. You count. What's important to you counts. Food is so much more than fuel. It holds so much emotional sway and baggage. It's why it comforts us, and also why the people around us can feel so threatened when we start eating differently than they do. Just be patient and be consistent about making time for yourself and don't be shy about asking for help when you can. It worked for me!

higs wrote something that really resonated with me in my whole 30 wrap-up. He said that (for him) undertaking a whole 30 wasn't about eliminating the bad in his diet - it was about embracing the abundance of good. I *love* that. Embrace the good - and celebrate it by nourishing and nurturing it within yourself.

I look forward to your re-intro posts. Just like all the other posts you've written. :)

ps. Your husband is sweet. He's a keeper! He still might come around to taking on a whole 30. Either way, with such good food around, he'll be eating better and benefiting his health.

Archived