April 1st Whole30 Start date anyone?

Tmroach2

Hey Artymis!  That's really cool of your boss, she's a keeper :)  As for the squash in the quiche-thing, when I made it I had not baked the squash layer like a crust first and just poured the egg over soft squash; it was falling apart while trying to eat it.  Therefore I figured baking it first might help with that.  It was still tasty though, crusty or not!  Rub some EVOO in the pan first to keep the egg from sticking too bad.  Happy eating!!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I intended on starting April 1 but couldn't make the runs to the grocery store and Costco to stock up until yesterday. So I took the 1st as an extra Day 0 and started this morning. I'm going to have to keep something in the fridge for the morning. I'm just really not a morning person and I don't want to wake up early just to cook.

Having a real craving for a nice cold soda right now. It's really humid and nasty today.

Hi Everyone,

I'm so happy and surprised to see so many people supporting each other through the Whole30 program! Go team!!

I prepped the night before I started by making a couple things from "The Clothes Make the Girl", which I found from the Whole30 website. There week 1 routine has been very helpful: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

Items for my week 1:

Slower cooker Italian pork roast

Roasted Chicken Thighs
Sweet potatoes
Veggies- Green beans & Broccoli steamed
Moroccan dipping sauce
Home made mayo

I didn't make everything from the meal plan, since I'm going to make more items this weekend. However, these core items have been great to healthy and happy meals. The homemade mayo with fresh dill is amazing, and you'll want to eat it on everything. Be careful, haha.

Thanks!

Tara

Day two and so far so good.  LOL. 

Just a thought or two to try and keep the momentum going on this thread....

One of the ways I've managed to keep myself on plan with working out is to stop worrying or even focusing on physical results.  When I focus on how great I feel after a work out,  how I sleep better, how I am more emotionally balanced and calm and mentally sharper - that's when I keep coming back.  When I get caught up in the scale, or measurements?  That's when I find myself losing motivation.  I think that's because the scale and measurements are goals that are driven by what I think other people will think of me, and the other goals or benefits are things that I take or want for myself.

I'm planning on using the same motivatoins (feeling great, more energy, emotionally centered, better sleep, mentally sharper) to try and stay on track with Whole30, rather than focus on my weight or belly fat (which I desperately want to get rid of but dammit I'm not going to focus on, I swear!).  If I get the belly fat loss, great.  If not, but I feel like a million bucks and I'm sharper and calmer?  Still a success for me, I think.

I started my 2nd Whole30 yesterday also.  I did my first in July-Aug 2014.  My diabetes A1C number PLUMMETED while I was eating compliant (which is FABULOUS for those of you unfamiliar with the A1C test).  And as an added bonus, I lost 2 pants sizes and 2 cup sizes.  I never did an official reintroduction because I felt SO GOOD, I didn't really intend to start eating non-compliant foods again.  And I looked good - I got SO many compliments about how skinny/happy/healthy I looked.

But then the Girl Scout cookies arrived ... and March was quite a few trips to my Mom's house.  She changed some of her eating habits after receiving ISWF as a gift, and lost quite a bit of weight too.  She is an under-eater though, and my sister and I now realize that Mom never actually read the book.  She doesn't buy any variety of vegetables, relies on salad and fruit every day.  I think the moment I really jumped off the SAD cliff was when I ate some chocolate chip cookies she baked.  The ENTIRE BATCH. Yes it was over a few days, but still not acceptable both to my brain and my body.  And the really disappointing part of this, is that I don't particularly care for cookies.  Cheesecake, yes. Lasagna, yes. TV dinner Salisbury steak, yes. Cookies, not really my weakness usually.   And don't get me wrong, I was eating lots of other non-compliant foods that weren't Mom's, too.  Chicken strips and Egg rolls from the convenience store.  Hard butterscotch and Werther's candies. Crab puffs and fried wontons with my chinese dinner.  No rice, but a soy-gluten-dairy-sugar infested meal nonetheless.  And that's not even a whole dirty laundry list of the foods I know I should avoid but had started eating again anyway.

After my last trip to Mom's, where I got to see my sister (rare, because we live about 8 hours apart), I felt so yucky. Cranky, headachy, bloated, tired.  My husband told me that my butt had a little more cushion than it had for the last few months.  I had to admit that I gained about 5 lbs back.  (And for the record - his butt comment was meant in the most complimentary manner.  He's complained since August that my butt is flat, tiny, non-existent, etc.)  And then I stepped on the scale Sunday night and realized that it was really nearly 10 lbs.  Ugh.  My sister must have been feeling the same - on Monday March 30th she texted me asking if I was up for another Whole30 in April or May.  I texted right back that April sounded great --- here I am!

To keep myself a little more accountable, I told a co-worker that I'm on a Whole30.  Usually I would have just kept it to myself.  I also have a Whole30 logo on my email reply signature.  Let's do this, April Fools.  =)

I love the momentum, April Fools!!

je78nn, I used this chicken recipe and it was awesome! http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/   It's from the same blog that Tara posted above... she has some great recipes and advice on her site.

artymis - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your boss!

TexasWhole30 - I LOVE that... and I feel the same way.  Yes, my love handles and belly fat are staring at me in the mirror mocking me, but I'm trying to keep my head up and focus on what I see in my eyes (energy, sleep, clarity).  I have to admit, half way through day two I am not feeling a whole lot different (maybe a little more energy than usual at 2pm at the office, my typical 'crash' time), but I'm looking forward to the changes as I work through this month, and beyond.

Mamakitty - LOL... my man likes a booty also.  I keep telling him, "I don't get to CHOOSE where the weight will come off or go on,"  so I will stick to the food plan and keep doing my squats and hope for the best!  :P 

-Laura

Stay with it hebchill.  And look out for headaches.  When I started trying to eat more "paleo" a couple of months ago, I got smacked in the face with headaches for a day or two to go with the fatigue.  Sucked.  But I think it was just the junk working its way out.  And they go away and it's better on the other side.

Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies are totally my nemesis, mamakitty.  I would have (and have!) eaten the whole batch myself too. 

More consistent energy througout the day is definitely something I'm hoping to discover is an effect of my Whole30, LJT.  Glad to hear someone else is looking for that and finding it early on.

Stay with it hebchill.  And look out for headaches.  When I started trying to eat more "paleo" a couple of months ago, I got smacked in the face with headaches for a day or two to go with the fatigue.  Sucked.  But I think it was just the junk working its way out.  And they go away and it's better on the other side.

Yeah thats what I have been telling myself...I mean if its been only 48 hours since I ate the last "crap" food and I feel like this.... there has to be a reason that it leaving me makes me feel like this.  I see it as a fight and the good food is fighting out 

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this post and I started my first Whole30 yesterday. Feeling great and I'm surprised usually by 3PM I'll be hungry for a snack but I haven't felt anything except i'm recovering from a cold and have this lingering cough but I can't put a cough drop or honey tea to soothes it.

Day One

Breakfast - Purple Sweet Potato & a cup of black tea

Lunch - Salad with lettuce, avocado, egg, carrot, cucumber, onions, olive oil, S&P, lemon

Dinner - Banana & Handful of Nuts

Snacks - clementine

Day Two

Breakfast - Tomato, Avocado, Egg, Olive Oil S&P

Lunch - Mixed vegetables and oven roasted chicken breast

I started 1st of April. I was motivated by a work colleague who lost his whole belly..but it's not even just about the weight loss..for me it's about being able to withdraw and start again. Be more in control. I am feeling quite horrible I just want to stay in bed. I know it's the sugar. I am satisfied with the food. I'm not craving..it's just the withdrawal I guess from the sugar. I saw on a forum how we will feel during each phase..day to day..that is really helpful to recognize that this is normal and I will survive and not to give in....I can't find it haha. Worst thing is it is Easter and everyone comes over for the weekend and it is a huge event for us. It's not the chocolate I worry about..chocolate I'm not fussed on..it's the snacks...the cheese and Dips etc. I gave up smoking 2 years ago and occasionally I feel like one but don't. .I don't buy thdm either just to keep as a back up incase..so I want to use that to help me believe in myself. Just as u ladies use ur running. Good luck everyone

I had three eggs and a banana for breakfast. I was starving before lunch where I immediately was sick for the next few hours and completely lost my appetite. Fun. There's something that's been going around our class and I think I caught it. I've got ghee bubbling on the stove and hope it improves my veg sautés flavor.

I'm so glad I found this group! I'm doing it alone as well, but a coworker who has done two Whole 30's last year will be keeping me on my toes.  

Is anyone else competing in any events during this month? I am doing a 10k on April 12th and am really hoping I have enough energy to continue training and do ok during the run.  Let me put it out there, I am NOT a runner, I'm a swimmer, so this was a bit of a stretch for me to begin with. I was reading the timeline and it looks like I will hit a day with energy, so here is hoping! This is probably my biggest mental hurdle right now so any thoughts or encouragement are appreciated! 

I am doing a 10k on April 12th and am really hoping I have enough energy to continue training and do ok during the run.  Let me put it out there, I am NOT a runner, I'm a swimmer, so this was a bit of a stretch for me to begin with. I was reading the timeline and it looks like I will hit a day with energy, so here is hoping! This is probably my biggest mental hurdle right now so any thoughts or encouragement are appreciated! 

I am doing a 10k on the 12th as well!  But I am walking/jogging it as I am not a runner either and am out of shape right now anyway.  Good luck!

Day 2 - going well!  Planning on a few blueberries and some pineapple for an after dinner snack to knock out any sugar cravings.  Tried a new recipe - Chicken Hash with egg.  Heres the link - replace the butter with clarified butter or additional olive oil... Really yummy...

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-hash-with-eggs 

Good luck to all the swimmers/runners.  I would love to be running.  But I'm injured and facing surgery in May.  Whole 30 is a way to get lighter before the surgery and be in better shape for the recovery; including eating better because 6-8 weeks on crutches means I better be eating well.

Here's to being ready for Day 3!!

Good morning, April Fools! Is anyone else totally struggling with breakfast? I am not a huge egg eater by nature, and I'm a grab and go girl. This morning I just couldn't stomach eggs again (and it's day 3, people!?) so I just put some compliant mixed nuts and raisins in a baggie and ate it on the drive to work. I've got to rethink breakfast. I know a lot of folks say leftovers from the night before, but I have 3 kids (one being a 17 yr old boy) so leftovers don't usually exist in my house.

Anyhoo, I grilled steak last night with a marinade of EVOO, garlic, SP, and coconut aminos. It was truly amazing. With sweet potatoes and roasted broccoli. Yummy. Tonight is some kind of pork chop (thinking grilled, maybe baked) with brussel sprouts roasted with bacon. Can you tell I love food? :rolleyes:

Howdy y'all,

So day 2 sucked hard for me.  I felt bad all day.  My head hurt, my gut was ehh, I wanted to sleep all day.  Got home from work, ate some Trader Joe's sardines and smoked oysters with some cherry tomatoes.  Went to bed early hoping that it would pass soon.  Had super weird dreams about BBQ sauce last night. But....

I woke up feeling amazing.  Had a great breakfast of bacon, salmon, eggs, tomatoes, and baby bell peppers.  I know that I will feel bad again in the up coming days but right now I feel awesome. 

Good morning, April Fools! Is anyone else totally struggling with breakfast? I am not a huge egg eater by nature, and I'm a grab and go girl. This morning I just couldn't stomach eggs again (and it's day 3, people!?) so I just put some compliant mixed nuts and raisins in a baggie and ate it on the drive to work. I've got to rethink breakfast. I know a lot of folks say leftovers from the night before, but I have 3 kids (one being a 17 yr old boy) so leftovers don't usually exist in my house.

Anyhoo, I grilled steak last night with a marinade of EVOO, garlic, SP, and coconut aminos. It was truly amazing. With sweet potatoes and roasted broccoli. Yummy. Tonight is some kind of pork chop (thinking grilled, maybe baked) with brussel sprouts roasted with bacon. Can you tell I love food? :rolleyes:

I've had sweet potato with a dash of cinnamon in the morning and that is very satisfying.

Smoked salmon with avocado, red onions & tomato

Bacon and potatoes

RE: breakfast, I'm lucky because I don't mind eggs at all, so breakfast is the easiest meal of the day for me, scramble 4-5 eggs with a bunch of veggies and a dash of tabasco and done.  Even so, I can see getting sick of it.  Smoked salmon with capers and onions?  Mixed berries and nuts?  I dunno.  Would have to get creative, that's for sure.

Thank God for the salad bar in the cafeteria here at work.

Anybody else a little worried about Easter brunch/dinner/etc?  I've also got a Final Four Alumni party at a local bar for the MSU v. Duke game on Saturday that is going to be .... challenging.

I too struggle with breakfast in general, and I woke up feeling really crappy (headache, flu-like symptoms) so was NOT looking forward to eggs again.  BUT... I pushed through and grated some sweet potatoes that I cooked up in coconut oil, SP, and garlic powder.  Then two eggs over easy and a half of an avo went on top of that.  I took my first bite and was THRILLED at how delish it was. I think I could eat this for breakfast every day!!  I was able to eat the whole thing and am feeling pretty darn good right now.  Still a little body achy, but the headache is gone for now.

Last night was a HUGE success....I was fighting a headache after work but had plans to stop by a friends house.  A mutual out-of -town friend surprised us and it ended up being an impromptu party.  Oh no!   Wine, hummus, gooey, cheesy, pesto bruchetta-like things that looked aaaah-mazing, and cut veggies.  SO HAPPY I was able to enjoy the evening with my friends while only partaking of veggies and water.  Whew.  Got home and quickly sitr fried some veggies, left over chicken breast and the yummiest tahini/date sauce on earth: http://lowfatveganchef.com/asian-vegetable-stir-fry-in-tahini-sauce/  I used coconut aminos instead of tamari so I am pretty sure it is compliant.  Try it.... you'll LOVE it!

Here is to day 3, April Fools..... let's do this!

-Laura

Lunch break shout out to the April Fools!  I'm loving having this forum to read all of your stuff, it makes me smile and even though I don't know you all, I enjoy our crap-food vacation we are taking together :)  Thanks for your thoughts, insights, and recipes!

Like many of you, I got hit in the head (it felt like literally) with the headaches here at work yesterday and immediately started pounding water.  It helped some, but they lasted all night.  And the cravings came bad too, but not for sugar surprisingly.  All I wanted was a big bowl of tri-color rotini with butter and parmesan cheese.  So I ate more veggies and meat.  It didn't help.  Tangerine?  Still nothing.  But then...

DATES!  Fresh dates, not dried.  And not too many for sure.  But oh, the sweet chewy love that is fresh dates did it!  Hopefully this helps some of you with those night time cravings because berries didn't do it for me, even though I love them.

And water, lots of water.

Artymis - maybe try some chicken salad with HM mayo, walnuts and grapes?  You can make it the night before so its ready to enjoy in the morning with some bell pepper scoops.

TexasWhole30 - TOTALLY dreading Easter Dinner!  I'm cooking for us plus his mother, brothers, wives, kids, etc.  Ritual pineapple upside down cake, ugh seriously??  So I will be relying upon my prepared veggies and meats (...and dates!) if I can't figure a way to disguise the compliance of my dishes.  Crossing fingers, here goes nothing!

Happy Day 3 and Happy Healthy Bellies to us all!!!

Cheers,

Erin

Archived