Breastfeeding 9 month old - will he "detox" too?!

I am on day 2 of my Whole30 and woke up with some pretty bad "detox" symptoms. I haven't yet got a headache, but I could barely function! Cold sweats, lightheaded, shaky and a general fogginess. (I ate a banana and a big glass of cold water and felt much better about 1/2 hour later) I think they are all normal "side-effects" but it got me thinking about my son. He is 9 months and still basically exclusively breastfeed. He is fine today, happy and normal, but I am concerned that if I am feeling it so much, that maybe he will "detox" as well :( 

Anyone have experience with this? 

He should be fine - he'll get all he needs nutritionally from you.

Make sure that you do NOT just eat a banana and drink a glass of water when you wake up. Instead, eat this:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (aim for two)

2. 1-2 OR MORE thumb-size portions of fat (aim for OR MORE)

3. 1-3 cups of veggies (aim for 3)

Do that four times a day while bfing - the first time within an hour of waking up.

You can also sip on a can of compliant coconut milk throughout the day.

Eat four full meals per day, and eat more meals if you are still hungry.

Remember that your son will get what he needs from you - it's up to you to provide yourself with enough nutrition to also keep you going while you nourish your son.  Eat up!!!

Thank you for the guide Amy! I know I didn't eat enough yesterday, so I really bumped it up today! I feel like I did much better and my body thanked me! 

Just to clarify, I didn't just eat the banana and water for breakfast. My husband brought that to me in bed, before I did anything else, just so I could function I ate a full breakfast about 40 minutes later (although, it looks like I could bump my veggies up all around!) 

I guess I was just worried that because he was getting sugar, soy, grains and a little dairy through my milk, that he may detox as well when I stopped providing him with those things.

Glad you were able to eat more today - that does help! Hubby bringing you food in bed is a nice touch too. :wub:

I understand your question now about effects on your baby, but I haven't heard here on the forums about babies experiencing the kind of carb flu adult Whole30ers go through. We're not a scientific sample of course, but based on anecdotal reports here on the forums, I think he's going to sail through.

Happy Whole30ing!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived