2nd whole 30 and weird digestive issues

leigh

Hey all,

So I did a whole 39 back in September with some great results. I experienced a few days of odd digestive issues (ranging from diarrhea to constipation) and then things levelled out and were quite healthy and normal and regular (which was new for me). Then I didn't follow the reintroduction and went back to bad eating habits. So I started again and am on day 14 with the plans to go paleo after this whole 30 is done. The thing is that I've been extremely bloated and constipated for the full two weeks so fat which seems really odd for me. Has anyone else noticed really different results the second time through?

Here's why I've eaten the lady few days:

Today

Breakfast. 2 cups Zucchini ginger soup and two slices compliant chicken lunchmeat

Lunch: 2 cups turkey chilli (lots of veggies in this)

Dinner: 2 cups cabbage cassarole (beef, compliant tomato sauce, cauliflower rice, lots if cabbage) and a few grapes.

Post workout snack : slice of chicken lunchmeat

Yesterday

Breakfast : in a rush so had a smoothie with banana, eggs, berries and coconut milk and a handful of nuts

Lunch. Cabbage cassarole.

Snack. 1/2 cup pulled pork.

Dinner: grilled asparagus, large salad, roasted chicken.

Day 3

Breakfast. Hash of roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets and chicken and kale.

Lunch. Pulled pork on cucumber sandwiches.

Dinner. Roasted potatoes, beets, carrots, sweet potatoes and roast chicken

Snack. Handful of olives, pickles, celery and a few slices of compliant sandwich meat (we were at a party and brought this stuff as compliant snacks so we wouldn't be tempted by the junk food there. )

How have you responded to cabbage before? I know many Whole30ers swear by the stuff, but I can't be in the room with it. Major digestive issues. Kale can have the same effect, and cucumbers, for some folks.

One thing I've found with subsequent Whole30s is that what worked the first time may need to be tailored the second, third, etc. time. So it can be helpful to keep some compliant digestive enzymes on hand, as well as some palatable form of magnesium. Many folks here love the unflavored Natural Calm (I do better with a compliant pill form of the stuff).

Any new medications? Personal example: I recently started a new maintenance med, for instance, that can cause constipation (imagine my delight). Taking enough magnesium counteracts this.

You might go through your menus and note how many cruciferous, raw, or just new veggies you have been eating, and you might see about cooking veggies very well and trying some magnesium and maybe some digestive enzymes.

Whole30 is always an adventure!

Archived