Pink Diamonds' W30 Log (September 2012)

pinkdiamonds

Hi everyone. I had a successful Day 1. For breakfast I had two free-run poached eggs on a bed of wilted spinach, 1/2 organic yellow bell pepper, 1/2 organic avocado, and 10 organic cherry tomatoes. spinach was wilted with a brushing of coconut oil in the frying pan.

I went to the summer fair/expo with the family and I managed to avoid all temptations, and there were lots, let me tell you: deep-fried butter (gross), deep-fried oreos, popcorn, cotton candy, caramel apples, etc. The list goes on and on. There was a raw-bar in the food building and I headed straight there. Unfortunately, they were sold out on most their foods, so I opted for the taco sans the shell. The server was surprised to hear me say no shell and he assured me that the shell was not the typical shell we're used to seeing. I asked about the ingredients and he listed them. There was nothing in there that I couldn't have, i.e. wheat wise, so I went ahead and ordered my taco in the shell. I also purchased a bison burger (patty only). The is the first time I've ever had bison. It tasted a bit like hamburger but a little bit different. if that makes sense. As a side, I had tomato slices and lettuce.

I drank water all day. Working on dinner now, which consists of a broccoli slaw, half a sweet potato, and the rest of my taco.

I have to admit that I'm not all that hungry, which is a bonus. Bring on Day 2.

Congrats on navigating all that crazy food. What was in the shell?

I know that when the vendor listed the ingredients there were no sugar items or any type of grain. Once I got home, I tried to find them online, so I could post the exact ingredients in my blog, but I couldn't find a website.

Day 2 was a success for me. Oddly (or maybe not), I'm not suffering from any intense cravings. I could have used a little something last night, so I opted for a tea (straight up...no sweetener). I'm used to drinking my tea that way anyway, so that wasn't much of a stretch for me.

Check out my blog for full details on what I ate. I took pictures, but I left the USB cord at work so I wasn't able to upload them. I will tomorrow.

Has anyone tried the master ground beef recipe? I have and I've eaten it two ways...morning mix style for breakfast and coconut curry style for lunch. Both were yum. In the future I'll be making two batches. Turkey and beef. This way, I won't be having beef for two meals straight. I think the hardest part of the program will be creating variety in the meals so I'm not eating the same thing every day.

I can jot Day 3 as being another success. My meals were as follows:

MEAL 1 -one poached egg, ISWF morning mix, one organic apple, ½ organic bell pepper, 1-tbsp Manitoulin Island apple butter, 1-tsp Omega 3 oil

MEAL 2 - ½-c ISWF ground meat, 2-tbsp Eudora's coconut curry, one organic sweet potato, half organic cucumber

MEAL 3 - one chicken breast, 2-c broccoli slaw, 1-tbsp white balsamic vinegar, one ear of corn, two slices watermelon

I had half a cup of tea in between meals 2 and 3.

I whipped up a homemade batch of vegetarian tomato sauce and it turned out so good. I'll be mixing this with my master ground meat (pork) recipe tomorrow for lunch.

So far, I'm on track with eating with little side effects. No headaches and no massive cravings. Still hoping the inflammation in my shoulder goes away, but I've got a ways to go, so I'm giving it some time still.

Day 4 was another success. Although I did feel a headache coming on towards the end of the workday, I felt better once I had dinner.

MEAL 1 - 1/2-c morning (pork) mix, 1 organic apple,1-tbsp apple butter, 2 hard-boiled eggs

MEAL 2 - 1/2-c ground (pork) master recipe, 1-c homemade vegetarian tomato sauce, 1/2 organic sweet potato

MEAL 3 - 2 nectarines, 1 grass-fed steak, 1 organic sweet potato, 1 organic tomato (roasted), 1/2-c organic green olives (w/ seed)

Meal 3 was big, but I was hungry, and everything I had stuck to the guidelines, so I feel OK about my choice.

Day 5 and it seems as though things are getting a little bit difficult for me in that I'm finding that I'm craving sugar.

Here's what I had today:

MEAL 1 - 1/2-c morning (pork) mix, 1 organic apple, 1-tbsp apple butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1 hard-boiled egg, 1/2 organic avocado

MEAL 2 - 1 grass-fed steak, 1 organic tomato (roasted), 1/2 organic avocado

MEAL 3 - 1 nectarine, 1 orange

MEAL 4 - chicken, one corn on the cob, 1/2-c organic green olives (w/ seed)

I was hungry, so I had some fruit in the afternoon. I felt as though I was starting to get a trace of a headache, so I didn't feel guilty about my decision (I'm trying to stick to three meals).

I think I'm going to go to bed early b/c I was losing steam around 3 p.m.

Day 6 was a difficult day for me. By mid-afternoon, all I could think about was Tim Horton's cookies. Weird, I know. I so wanted the macadamia nut/white chocolate cookies. I had it planned in my head that I was going to buy six and eat them all on my drive home from work. What could be easier than pulling through the driveway and picking up a few?

As I neared the donut shop on my drive home, I thought about the whole fish distraction that's in the ISWF book. Think about whether you're really hungry or if it's just a craving, and the picture of the steamed fish came into mind. If I was really hungry, would I eat that steamed fish right then and there? My answer was, "if it was seasoned properly". The fish looks pretty bland in the picture. But seriously, at mid-afternoon, my answer was no. At 5 p.m., my answer was yes.

So, I managed to drive right by Tim Horton's and I avoided "cookiegate". But all I could think about during the remainder of the drive home was sugar. I knew this program was going to be hard, but I didn't think thoughts of cookies and donuts would occupy so much of my thought process.

Sadly, once I got home, I caved and had chocolate. Dinner wasn't much better after that either.

I will continue with the plan, because I am determined to do this. I will keep today as Day 7 (for ease of labelling/tracking), but I will tack on 6 days to the end of the 30, to make it the full, proper 30 days.

Here's what I had (minus the screw-up).

MEAL 1 - 2 fried eggs (w/ coconut oil), 2 slices bacon (no sugar, no nitrates, grass-fed), 1/4 avocado, 10 grape tomatoes, broccoli, baby carrots

MEAL 2 - fish, broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots

MEAL 3 - 1 organic apple, 1 orange

MEAL 4 - disaster

As a note, my stomach was almost immediately MILDLY upset after I ate the chocolate.

I am happy to report that Day 7 was successful.

Here's what I ate today:

MEAL 1 - 2 fried eggs w/ coconut oil, 1/4 organic avocado, 1 snack pack baby carrots

MEAL 2 - rotisserie chicken, Cooking Greens (Athlete's Mix – collards, spinach, kale, sweet red pepper, white beans), 1/2 organic avocado

MEAL 3 - banana, peach

MEAL 4 - rotisserie chicken, Cooking Greens (Designer's mix – spinach, collards, rapini, yellow beans, onion), 1/2 -c organic olives

I removed the white beans from meal 2 as they are non compliant. Water intake increased a bit today too, although I know I could do better. I'll work on this tomorrow.

Got through Day 8 rather easily. I didn't really fighting any craving demons. I had my meals spaced out and that seemed to keep me satisfied.

Here's what I ate today:

MEAL 1 - 2 eggs, fried w/ coconut oil, 1/2 organic avocado, broccoli, banana

MEAL 2 - Kimchi, organic, raw (cabbage, radish, red pepper, garlic, ginger, apple, pear, chives, and sea salt), sweet potato (roasted w/ olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg), curried shrimp, peach

MEAL 3 - tuna salad (1 can tuna, 1/2 organic avocado, 1/2 organic English cucumber), sweet potato (roasted w/ olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg), tea (licorice flavour)

I haven't noticed any sleep pattern change yet. But then again, I fell off plan on Day 6, so I'm not expecting miracles. I'll give it another week or two before I hope to see any significant changes.

I made the most awesome sweet potatoes yesterday. I loved it so much, I made it for dinner, because I just had to have it again. it's like having dessert, but not really.

Here's what I did:

• Peel and cut one sweet potato into cube sized pieces
  • Place in roasting pan
  • Drizzle with olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and freshly-cracked sea salt
  • Shake contents around for even coating
  • Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
  • Enjoy!

Love it! I made it again for dinner, but I added one tablespoon of apple butter to make it even more heavenly.

Archived