If I eat Whole30 my entire pregnancy??

I want to eat clean my next pregnancy.  I'm doing whole30 now and my husband and I want to start trying this month.  If I continue to do whole30 thorughout my pregnancy and my body is totally adjusted to this lifestyle, will I lose the weight faster after the baby if I just contiune eating this way?  Or will my body be totally adjusted to this lifestyle that the weight won't come off as easily as it has not in the past? Are there any downfalls to eating this way while pregnant?  It seems like eating this way would be very healthy but wanted to double check.  I am also going to ask my OB when its time.

I am not able to breastfeed. (  Just thought I would throw that one in there.  

I know the Whole30 isn't for weightloss but I am just curious

Guest Andria

There is nothing about eating protein, vegetables and fats that would be problematic for eating longterm, pregnant or not.  You just need to be sure you are eating an adequate amount of food.

There is really no way to answer the other questions you have about weight loss.  It will all depend on how much weight you gain, your intake, your stress levels, sleep and hormonal balance, and to a smaller extent your activity levels as to if, when and how quickly your body will let go of the weight you gain during pregnancy.

Even Melissa, one of the founders of the Whole 30, wasn't able to eat 100% clean during her pregnancy. During her first trimester she ate a lot of Greek yogurt and a few other non-compliant things. Please don't force yourself if you can't eat this way during pregnancy. Use what you learn from your reintroductions to avoid foods that will do bad things to you (for me it's gluten, for some dairy) but do not make yourself sicker than you need to be because of a Whole 30.

• 1 month later...

I have to say that I never truly understood how bad it can be with aversions/early pregnancy appetite changes. I do now, though.

Yesterday the only things I could eat were Chex cereal with almond milk, gluten free bread with gobs of butter, a banana with a spoon of peanut butter, and mashed potatoes. The thought of anything else made me gag. I had the expected low energy to be had from eating that way...but gagging just thinking about eating something else will turn you off of it quickly.

Today's been marginally better...same Chex with almond milk, but so far for lunch I've had gluten free pretzels with homemade tomato soup and plain unsweetened applesauce...I guess this is why we take pre-natal vitamins.

One note too, just in case it helps someone else. I stopped taking my prescribed pre-natals a while back because they contained a laxative that had...let's just say explosive effects. I was taking a stand-alone folic acid, iron, and vitamin C supplement since those are typically the ones pregnant ladies need most. Within a few days I was noticing I had painful cracks in the corners of my mouths that I would treat with a little vitamin E oil but never got better. Did a little research - B vitamin deficiency can cause cracking in the corners of your mouth. I was already protein-averse because of hormones so I got a different pre-natal (a gummy, since big pills really aren't my friend at the moment). I've been taking it not quite a week and the cracks are gone. If you notice the same issue, get a more complete vitamin...it will help.

Archived