Sunday Morning Scramble: French Toast

Kat B.

And no, this isn't "paleofied" bad food!

I like to make a big batch of diced, cooked sweet potatoes to keep in my fridge and easily add to various meals throughout the week. One of my favorite meals to include sweet potatoes is breakfast. I've always been a breakfast person and I attribute this to my mother, who is a registered dietician. She always said that breakfast is your fuel for the whole day, so never skip it and make sure it's something filling and satisfying.

My favorite breakfast and brunch dishes are savory - the combination of salty and sweet, richness and acidity, ooh and ahh! I decided that today I would try to recreate this in a "french toast" scramble, save the bread, sugar, and maple syrup.

For one:

1/2 - 3/4 C diced, cooked sweet potatoes

1 large handful baby spinach

2 eggs

1 - 2 T sliced almonds

4 very ripe strawberries

1/4 tsp each of allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon

• Melt a little coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and spinach; stir to coat with oil. Add spices and stir until spinach is completely wilted.
  • Turn heat to low, add eggs and sliced almonds. Stir to evenly distribute the ingredients in the egg. Cook until set on the bottom, then flip to cook other side. Aim to cook this a little more than you might for an omelette so that it's more like a piece of french toast.
  • Serve topped with sliced strawberries.

I've made a variation of this dish with the addition of "The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat" from theclothesmakethegirl. Her spice rub for the chicken includes all of the "french toast" spices and yields a very similar result - you can even leave out the sweet potatoes if you want. I just heated some diced, cooked chicken breast with along with the sweet potatoes and spinach in step 1.

The spinach is there for a vitamin/veggie boost and honestly, you can't taste it at all.

You could easily substitute whatever nuts and fruit tickle your fancy - pecans with sauteed peaches? Walnuts with blueberries or blackberries cooked with a little lemon or orange juice? The strawberries are just easy because they warm up quickly when sliced thinly and placed on top of the eggs. I think you would want to cook the other ones, but maybe not!

I'm sure someone else has tried this, but thought I'd share. Enjoy!

Archived