2nd Whole30. Doing it for me this time.

kimberlyxo

Ahh I can't even believe it! I think I might keep up with this, honestly. Its been fun and it keeps me accountable. 

Thank you. Things always have their ways of working out I guess. My family wanted me to have a drink yesterday or eat snacks or dessert so bad lol My aunt made brownie pie with icecream and lemon meringue pie. I asked for an apple with almond butter!

I could not allow myself to quit on Day 28! I signed up for this for 30 days, not 28 lol

I am already contemplating what I will reward myself with as a "Congratulations you finished your 2nd Whole30" present. I realllyyyyy want a Ninja blender... but I dont use blenders that often, I just use my immersion blender. Then I thought I would buy myself a new pair of running shoes... the ones I have are neon yellow and super dirty. 

Any thoughts on after Whole30 rewards that aren't food related?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Congratulations on not giving in to the peer pressure and turning down pie and ice cream!

Any thoughts on after Whole30 rewards that aren't food related?

If you're going to continue eating this way most of the time, how about cookbooks -- if you don't have them already, I love both of the Well Fed books, and Nom Nom Paleo: Food For Humans is good too.

Kitchen tools -- I agree a blender isn't necessarily useful, but I did save up and treat myself to a food processor and love it, or a spiralizer if you don't already have one might be nice. Are you happy with your knives, cutting boards, mixing bowls, pots & pans? Upgrading any of those you're less than thrilled with might be an option.

The shoes are a good idea, or treat yourself to some cute running clothes or good compression socks if you use them (non-runner here, but trying to think of the things my sister and her running friends like). 

Or just treat yourself to a mani-pedi or a massage or facial, something really pampering.

Congratulations on not giving in to the peer pressure and turning down pie and ice cream!

If you're going to continue eating this way most of the time, how about cookbooks -- if you don't have them already, I love both of the Well Fed books, and Nom Nom Paleo: Food For Humans is good too.

Kitchen tools -- I agree a blender isn't necessarily useful, but I did save up and treat myself to a food processor and love it, or a spiralizer if you don't already have one might be nice. Are you happy with your knives, cutting boards, mixing bowls, pots & pans? Upgrading any of those you're less than thrilled with might be an option.

The shoes are a good idea, or treat yourself to some cute running clothes or good compression socks if you use them (non-runner here, but trying to think of the things my sister and her running friends like). 

Or just treat yourself to a mani-pedi or a massage or facial, something really pampering.

I will most definitely continue eating Paleo. Just based on the results I've had with my prior food allergies and stomach issues. I don't want to go back to the other way lol

I looove cookbooks! That is a great idea! 

We moved into our house about 2 years ago so pretty much everything in the kitchen is brand new however, I love gadgets. I have been wanting a spiralizer, thank you for reminding me! 

And who doesn't love cute running clothes? Love that! 

Such great ideas!!  :) Thank you!!

Day 30!!!!!

Seriously this month has flown by. The beginning was tough... but after I hit the midway point, it didn't feel like I was on a "diet" or eliminating any foods. It feels natural to eat this way and feel this good. 

My reintroduction period starts tomorrow with a glass of scotch. I have been seriously missing my Johhnie Walker... 

Yesterday, I didn't really like my first two meals, so I was getting hungry towards 3:00. I had a cashew lara bar with me, so I ate that. Dinner was super random. Salmon with a spice rub and left over chicken curry. I ate them separately because together it would have been weird lol I had my normal green apple and almond butter with it also.

I watched the new episode of Pretty Little Liars and the new show after that, Stitchers. This is when I snacked on cashews..... A HUGE issue for me has always been binge eating while watching TV. I actually really do miss that.... Its a terrible habit that I thought I've gotten through with this Whole30.... well apparently I haven't. I also haven't been watching TV when I get home. I am normally busy cooking or cleaning until I go to bed. I did all my cleaning this weekend, so I was able to relax. But that meant I allowed myself to snack. By the time I realized, the cashews were gone. There was a good cup or more in the bag... I felt terrible immediately afterwards. Super bad stomach pains and immediate bloating. I had an allergy test a few years ago and tested positive for a cashew allergy, which makes sense. Any time I have cashews I get awful stomach pains. This is all a learning experience. I'm not going to hate on myself for my choices.... I just know better for the future

Meal 1 - 2 Applegate hotdogs, ground pork and sweet potato hash with red peppers and onions (so good)

Meal 2 - More pork/sweetpotato/red pepper/onion hash

Meal 3 - I have softball tonight at 6, so probably Applegate hotdogs stuffed with guac and some veggies

I have iced coffee, water and seltzer for drinks today

-Kim

Day 31 - Results

I am down 8.2 pounds from this Whole30 and could not be happier! 

I plan to continue eating Paleo for sure. There are way too many positive side effects from eating this way for me. I have no intentions of going back to binge eating cheese curls or calzones. My cravings are under control, my old habits are mostly under control and I feel leaner than ever. 

The most important part is having control. This is my body. This is my life. I will not allow food to control me again.

Meal 1 - Grass fed burger with grilled peppers and onions and topped with guac. Also a few grilled chicken tenders marinaded in coconut aminos, olive oil and a ton of spices.

Meal 2 - Same as Meal 1. This is the best meal I have made so far!

Meal 3 - A few grilled chicken tenders and left over sweet potato ground pork hash

I have a softball game at 9 tonight..... Sooo naturally I took a day off from work tomorrow  :D

I plan on having a drink at the bar after our game. Hopefully the owner remembered to stock Johnnie Walker Black for me!

Scotch right now is the only thing I plan on reintroducing. The Whole30 daily said yesterday that I shouldn't reintroduce foods that I don't plan on eating again. Makes perfect sense right? Why put yourself through that pain and discomfort for something not even worth it?

I also plan on continuing to update this log. I look forward to writing this every day  :D

-Kim

WOOHOOO!!!! 8 lbs! That is AWESOME! I'm kind of jealous (in a good way!) because I lost nothing. LOL.

Enjoy your Johnnie tonight but don't let it off road you with tasty snacks! That usually went hand in hand for me. Drinking and eating horrible crap.

Thank youuu!!!

The NSV are more important to me now more than they ever had been. That damn number has ruined my life lol Now I dont even care about it

Yes definitely staying away from the Dominos thats next door to the bar... I have an Epic bar just in case I get hungry!

It went good! No Johnnie... so I drank Jameson. I had two on the rocks and about 4 soda waters. And I feel good today. Nothing different than normal. I had chicken curry with applegate bacon for breakfast and some coconut chips. These are definitely a treat. So far I've reintro'd coconut chips, whiskey and a handful of enjoy life choc chips. Apparently all I'm reintroing is sugar.. lol I have today off from work. I'll probably go good shopping a bit later

Just wanted to say that I've been following this topic ever since I started my Whole30, and I've found it so inspiring! Congrats on the weight lost and the NSVs! While I know how important the NSVs are, I definitely would love to lose some weight especially since I didn't lose any during my first whole30! I love how your signature says "Took back control of my life", because that's definitely a goal for me as well! Again congrats!!!

p.s. I made those buffalo chicken nuggets last night and they were crazy delicious

Just wanted to say that I've been following this topic ever since I started my Whole30, and I've found it so inspiring! Congrats on the weight lost and the NSVs! While I know how important the NSVs are, I definitely would love to lose some weight especially since I didn't lose any during my first whole30! I love how your signature says "Took back control of my life", because that's definitely a goal for me as well! Again congrats!!!

p.s. I made those buffalo chicken nuggets last night and they were crazy delicious

Aw thank you so much! I hope your Whole30 is going well!!

Dude I am so glad you like those nuggets! They take some time to prepare... but every second is worth it!

Well... this weekend has been rough.... I'm not going to lie I have not eaten completely Paleo. I apparently have a binge issue. Not only with food but shopping as well. I saw a therapist on Thursday who pointed it out to me. Its a way for me to have control when I feel like I've lost it in some other area of my life.

I'm very happy to see that people on here are inspired by me. However, I am not perfect. Not even close

I needed to post this because while I am disappointed with my decisions, I am not going to just throw away this very successful Whole30.

Zach and I are grilling steaks for dinner. We are also baking potatoes in the coals of our fire pit. (Russet for him and sweet for me)

I'm going to grill up a bunch of chicken, peppers and onions and other veggies in preparation for this coming week.

I have a new coworker starting tomorrow who is also my replacement so I will be super busy at work, distracting me from wanting all the chocolate.

ugh...

-Kim

Hey, at least you were able to recognize a problem!

This is honestly why I'm afraid to go to back to some stuff, and I don't think i'll be able too! Once I have one piece of chocolate, GAME OVER!

Yes I only let it go two days... I went off plan basically this entire winter. So I guess that's a positive... 

Ugh my fiance had to basically box me out with the shopping cart yesterday so I didn't grab chocolate bars at the store... 

Its bad.... This is the control I thought I had gotten back... I guess not. Oh well. I am not allowing this to be an excuse to eat everything for the next week lol

Meal 1 - Grilled chicken marinated in olive oil, coconut aminos and spices with grilled peppers and onions and a baked sweet potato

Meal 2 - Grilled chicken marinated in olive oil, coconut aminos and spices with grilled peppers and onions and a baked sweet potato

Meal 3 - Zach has golf tonight which will leave me alone in the house for dinner. I have more cooked chicken and can easily whip up a cauli rice (Trader Joes)

Today is so rainy and yucky outside... Luckily my basement is big enough where I can walk/run around in circles to get my steps in. The dog loves it too. He thinks I'm chasing him  :)

-Kim

6 days after Whole30

Meal prepped some amazing stuff last night. I took Diane from 21dsd recipe for chicken "parm". I made chicken parm tenders with a homemade tomato sauce over steamed broccoli. The chicken is breaded in almond/arrow root flour and spices (after being dipped in an egg wash) pan fried for 2 minutes per side and then baked in the oven on parchment

Sooo delicious!

I worked out last night for the first time in a few months. It was rainy so I ran around my basement with my dog and then made up my own circuit exercise with push ups, burpees (5 total LOL), squats and walking lunges. My arms are so sore! 

I keep complaining about bloat or how I noticed more definition last summer... the list goes on and on. I know what I need to do and what I need to eat. Its just a matter of getting my mind in the right place. 

I have this super labor intensive cake I need to make for my Aunt's birthday this weekend. I'll be honest, I will probably have a piece. I can make the decision to eat a piece of this cake because its a super old recipe passed down generations. I would not make a decision to eat a piece of cake from a box or the grocery store. These things need to be special at special times. 

Softball tonight then home to meal prep for tomorrow and fold laundry. Woof

-Kim

• 1 month later...

And I'm back.....

Completely fell off the wagon, rolled down a hill, slammed into a few trees and landed in a river the past month.

I decided to do follow Whole30 rules for the next 11 days before my golf tournament and vacation begin. 
Its amazing the effect food has on your body... yesterday I was on the phone and noticed my left arm was shaking uncontrollably. I could tell it was sugar related. I felt like complete sh*t all weekend based on the choices I've been making. I wouldn't even call them choices... its more of a spur of the moment, its in front of me so I'll eat it kind of thing...

Anyways... I've gained back the weight I lost on my recent Whole30 and more importantly, I feel terrible. I am not the kind of person that can allow "moderation" into my life. But honestly, who needs a moderate amount of peanut m&m's? Those foods are not making me any more healthy and are not making me feel good... so why do I do it? Because I have lost all control....

The worst part for me is that I lost 55 pounds last year and have gained almost 20 of that back. I feel different and look different based on that weight gain and feel like a failure. My family says they can't tell a difference in how I look... but the clothes I bought last year don't fit and I can see how puffy my face is in pictures.... There is no one to blame but myself... I know exactly what I need to do.... there are no excuses. 

I went for a run with my dog last night for the first time this summer. I am definitely not a runner... but I signed up for my first 5k on August 28th. A bunch of people from my softball team will be running/walking it so I said I would do it. I want to be as prepared as I can be... 

My legs and hips are sore today. I love being sore from exercising though...

Meal 1 - Chorizo with summer squash, red peppers and roasted potatoes

Meal 2 - Chorizo with summer squash, red peppers and roasted potatoes

Meal 3 - Not sure yet. I have some applegate hotdogs that I might grill with some summer squash or red peppers. 

I plan on going for a run when I get home. I figure, even if I'm out there and run a mile, thats better than nothing. We ran .9 miles last night before I started walking. And then ran/walked the rest. 

Chief is a great motivator although he pees on ever tree/fence/mail box every three feet lol

That is all for now.... Its good to be back  :D

-Kim

Archived