May 20th reintro starts

JillP

hey everyone! i miss the daily check-in on this forum...will try to be better about stopping by. life, eh? 

rissee - i don't know about 10 days. i think it would be enough, but i sabotaged myself on the weekend, so i only had 4ish days and then we had a date night saturday night. it was rough - we went to this amazing french restaurant i've been wanting to try. i had steak frites - we started with fried duck egg and smoked oysters. the frites were served with homemade bearnaise, which really should have been fine. honestly, other than the fried cooking method, everything should have been fine (except the bread we started with). BUT...i also had wine (two glasses). so maybe that? anyway...i ended up feeling pretty crappy and barfing in the middle of the night. :( 

so. back to it. i'm trying not to become a weekends-off-the-rails kind of eater, but it is tough! 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I decided to jump right back into another 30 and do the reintro properly then. I went off the rails. Was drinking beer when my neighbor offered me spaghetti and ate the heck out of that. Had a hangover, made bad choices, felt awful, decided to start over. I'm on day 4.

Glad you started over, Rissee!  That sounds like an awful experience.

Penny, the popcorn pain is not where I get mine, but I do suggest making sure you get a lot of liquid and ease up a bit on the amount when you have it.

Piper, you had an enormous amount of fat in that meal. That could have really caused a lot of problems, separate from the specific foods.  Bearnaise is basically butter and egg yolk -- a very rich food indeed!

I am continuing on a mostly compliant but not Whole30 path.  This past weekend was my stepson's graduation from high school as well as the very last weekend in my husband's house.  With that and dealing with the graduation party at his ex's house, there was plenty of stress to go around.  I had two bits of celebratory cake and a couple of corn chips -- not worth it.  Much more worthwhile was the actual barbecue sauce that I put on the pulled pork and the sweet, salty, fatty, luscious ONE rib that I had. 

Still debating about when to re-start my next formal round.  I meet with my dietician tomorrow, so will talk over with her what goals I really need to think about next.  She will probably say exercise rather than food, but I'm not sure of that.

ThyPeace, thinks that changing exercise habits is harder than food habits.

Went to Qdoba yesterday since that was what we were close to.  Ordered as I would at other similar restaurants, but ended up with a dairy-feeling tummy today.  Sure enough, they put some of the cilantro cream sauce in my salad without me realizing it.  And their ingredient list is not nearly as clean as other similar places.  Sigh.  Oh well.  Now i know.

Today I'm re-testing corn.  Specifically, I'm going to have corn on the cob.  I know that refined corn products -- tortillas, cornmeal mush, corn chips -- all give me a belly ache.  I'm not so sure about straight corn, however.  I'm kind of hoping I can still tolerate sweet corn.  Because, you know.  Summer.  Watermelon, grilled protein, corn, grilled veggies. 

ThyPeace, had leftovers for lunch today -- cauliflower soup, a burger, roasted potatoes and beets, grilled eggplant.  With that and knowing how to take care of dairy tummy (it's gross to talk about, but I feel better muuuuch faster), I am now having a good day.

p.s.  Washed DH's car for my exercise today.  Yes, I know that's lame.  But it's better than nothing, too.

Good for you, JillP!

This was the external wash and a wipe down of the console and other non-cloth parts of the interior.  Still need to do the vacuuming -- DH's car has borne the brunt of all our moving in the last few months, so it's pretty grimy.

ThyPeace, DD and I did a quick job on the worst parts of my car too.  We were outside for a bit more than an hour.  DH, on the other hand, did the yard.  He worked for 3 hours.  Now he's taking a nap.  And the yard looks great.

Had corn on the cob with my homemade pulled pork (with homemade barbecue sauce and yes, I did add molasses and brown sugar) and homemade butternut squash soup.  Nice meal, though a bit crazy with guests and weather.  We'll see how the tummy feels tomorrow.

Tummy was a bit off today, but I'm not sure why.  New thing yesterday was raw sauerkraut (so with live probiotics).  Made my tummy feel really good yesterday.  Today my digestion is slow, but that's probably the beets.  Beets do that to me.

ThyPeace, notes that this is the only place I post about my digestion.

The corn tasted good and did not leave me with the aching faux-hunger that cornmeal does.  I am, however, very tired today and emotionally volatile.  Not sure whether there is a direct correlation or not.

Also had more sauerkraut last night.  Still makes my tummy happy to have it. 

And the beets are slowly working their way through my system.  Emphasis on slow.

ThyPeace, knows that this many tests at once confound each other.  Oh well. 

Hmmm.  May have felt the corn-stomach stuff today rather than yesterday.  Possibly because of slow digestion from the beets.  Or not, who knows. I do feel somewhat better today than yesterday though, even though I got no more sleep.

ThyPeace, wonders if anyone else from this group  is around anymore.

I read the email and then never come in to respond! We are busy trying to finish a shed, clean out garage, get a new fridge and then Monday the kids and I leave for nebraska! We have dr appts and vet and dentist this wk too! Food wise I think nothing but the beans really did us in. So no it is trying to get back to clean mainly with some other stuff thrown in occasionally.

It's been an off-road weekend for me, and it's only Saturday evening.  We are traveling again for DH's work going-away party.  We did the drive after work on Thursday, which meant leaving about 6:30pm and arriving here after 1am.  We had salads, nuts, and raisins in the car on the way.  The salads are from this awesome restaurant called Chop't.  I don't think they're very common yet, but they make an awesome compliant salad if you pick your ingredients correctly. 

No breakfast Friday, and then straight to the party and associated potluck.  I had planned to do my best to stay away from dairy, but not worry about the rest of the Whole30 restrictions, and I'm glad I did that.  There were essentially no completely compliant foods except for the sliced fruit, and by that time (about 16 hours after my last meal), I was starving.  Even though nothing was perfectly compliant, it was still also quite far from the standard American diet.  There were lots of salads and lots of fruits, some protein, and plenty of items that didn't have dairy in them.

I did try the chicken and rice casserole made with cream of mushroom soup.  It tasted just as utterly delicious as I remembered it being.  Note the dairy there, though.  I also had dessert.  DH's former colleagues are excellent cooks, and I knew there would be real homemade desserts worth trying.  The "almond joy" cookies were the best.  Coconut, sliced almonds, and chocolate chips, plus something gooey.  Very nice.  And the two homemade layer cakes were awesome -- one was a mocha with raspberry filling, the other was lemon with a berry frosting.  Luscious to say the least.  And there were brownies, but something was wrong with the frosting so I left that be.  I found that the first bite of each of the home made desserts was absolutely worth it, but that the returns diminished extremely quickly.  i had a bit more than I intended to, but not much -- it just didn't taste good enough to overeat.  And again, dairy in the frosting and baked in the cakes.

By 5pm I was absolutely starving again, and when given a chance to get something, I chose nearly pure protein.  It was something called "pork wings," which were basically pork on a bone -- maybe a rib?  -- cooked into tender oblivion.  There was a rub on the outside, but not much else.  I probably had 8 ounces of meat and would happily eaten a fourth one.  I realized as I was eating that I had had far less protein so far than I usually have in a day.  My body was definitely missing it!

Had popcorn at the movie afterward, and found that to be only mildly satisfying.  I think having iced tea rather than soda made it much less of a "eat mindlessly while watching mutant dinosaurs eat people" experience than it would have been otherwise. 

So lots of offroading yesterday, and some today.  Had a wonderful lunch of vegetable soup, cabbage rolls (there was some rice in them, I'm sure), sauerkraut, a mix of pork shoulder and bacon chunks, and green beans.  And then had a much less satisfying dinner of fajitas.  Had a few corn chips, but DH sent them away from the table after we'd had a half dozen each.  And a bite each of rice and flour tortilla.  Bleh.  No need to bother with those!

And most interesting, in spite of the casserole, frostings, and baked goods yesterday, I've seen no ill effects.  And it's been well over 24 hours, which is the longest it's ever taken to notice it before.  Could be that it was mediated by having it after a lot of other food, or it could be that my daily doses of sauerkraut are helping readjust the bacteria in my gut and helping me digest a bit better.  Either way, I'm happy that I'm not in pain right now!

ThyPeace, also happy that the major work of the weekend is over and that we have been able to relax tonight and will get on the road early tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Papa John's garlic knots are not with the thirst that comes with them.

And I keep thinking I'm not getting enough variety of fruits and vegetables. Here's what I've had lately for veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, carrot, celery, cabbage, sweet potato, eggplant, asparagus, lettuce, red pepper, green pepper, onion, mushrooms. Guess I'm missing beets, spinach, and kale from my "usual" veggies. Maybe that's what's bugging me. Or maybe I need a big stir fry full of more exotic stuff -- bok choi, jicama, oyster mushrooms...

I filled the house with summer fruit over the weekend too. That worked out well, especially the grilled fresh pineapple. Who needs sugar when nature makes that?

ThyPeace, looking for ways to majorly shift activity levels. Haven't found the key yet but will keep looking,

Turns out I was craving Brussels sprouts.  Knew it as soon as I saw them.  My husband made a "oh my god you got those green things" comment.  I think I said something about how he was welcome to take over the majority of the cooking duty any time he wanted to, and he got all nice and helpful.  Good thing we have figured out a way to deal with food commentary that doesn't immediately start a fight or leave me in tears.

ThyPeace, yes, I know.  People are supposed to figure that out the first year they're married.  We're doing things in an unusual order.  First get married, then finish raising one set of the kids, then move in together...

Archived