Anyone have experience with alpha gal?

Not sure where to put this, but it will definitely impact my next W30.  I recently had a serious outbreak of hives.  Serious to the point that I was near needing an ER trip, having some issues breathing, etc.  I've had these outbreaks a couple of times in the past, but it was over 2 yrs ago.  Each of these times, I've been home and it's been late in the evening...as in, not being exposed to any outside triggers, no bites of any kind, no immediate food response.

I finally went to an allergy clinic.  Thankfully, I'm allergic to much LESS than I thought I'd be.  Only 1 tree, ragweed, a couple of outside molds, and cats, dogs, and horses.  I knew about cats...the dog and horse is unexpected since I have both and don't feel bothered by them.

But...I also tested positive for alpha gal.  The allergist thinks my hive reaction was due to the meat I ate for dinner that night.  What doesn't make sense to me is that once you have the alpha gal allergy, it doesn't really come and go.  I've done 2 W30s in the last year, routinely eat beef and pork...and yet I've had the ONE hive reaction.

I'm now told to carry epi pens every where I go, where a medical bracelet, and avoid ALL mammalian meat.  Now, I'm not the kind to completely want to ignore medical advice, but given that I'd eaten meat numerous times (with no reaction) between the hives evening and the actual allergy clinic appointment, I honestly don't believe it's an issue.  And even after the appointment and before getting the actual lab results, I've had pork, venison, and beef...so again, if the alpha gal allergy is so "critical," why am I not exhibiting any signs of it?

Not sure exactly where my question is... LOL  Just trying to get feed back from a group of meat eaters. ;)

What kind of allergy testing was done? Skin prick, blood work, both?

Alpha-gal allergy is characterized as a delayed response--pretty much the opposite of every other food allergy. There are some sources that claim the allergy can diminish over time (8 months to five years) just as long as you don't have another tick bite from the tick that's associated with Alpha-gal issues.

When it comes to allergies leading to anaphylactic-type symptoms, my general advice is "don't f*** around with it." No meal is worth compromising your airway. However, given the isolated reaction, I don't think it's unreasonable to seek a second opinion. Do you remember exactly what you eat on the day of your last episode?

Archived