Erica's Whole30

ericaa

So - today is day 11 and I am just now starting a log... My first week was a bit jumbled, in that I traveled out of town for Memorial day weekend, and though I stayed compliant all the time, I wasn't really sitting at a computer during the day, which makes logging difficult.

I've been enjoying reading the forums and have found them extremely inspiring and helpful, so I thought, better late than never!!

Day 11 - Thursday, May 28, 2015

M1 @ 7:30 AM: 4 eggs, fried in olive oil, over a few tomato slices drizzled with olive oil and spinach; and handful of homemade cinnamon roasted almonds, big glass of water

9:00 AM, @ work: coffee, black - thinking of buying a carton of coconut milk to bring to the office for a little somethin' extra :)

M2 @ 12:00 PM: homemade chicken salad (w/ homemade mayo!) - made with chicken thighs, a few homemade chopped up pickles, granny smith apple, red bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes, wrapped up in romaine lettuce, with a roasted sweet potato on the side

I was not really feeling this meal before I ate ... Just wasn't thinking the chicken salad sounded appetizing, but knew I wasn't going to find anything else, and was hungry. So I ate really slowly and have for sure noticed that I've stayed full for a lot longer than normal. I didn't eat my planned mini meal.

About 4:30 or so I started to notice my gut rumbling/feeling bloated, so I filled up my water bottle once more. I've been trying to up water this week - after this one, I've had 4 22 oz bottles today.

M3 @ 7:30 PM: shrimp & sausage skillet meal with onions, peppers, summer squash, topped with green magic sauce!

In response to today's Whole30 Daily email - I signed up for a yoga class tomorrow night and walked home after work instead of taking the train (2+ miles from office to home). :)

Tonight I am definitely right where the timeline says I should be ..... I was just browsing Pinterest and all the crazy desserts are making me salivate!! I'm removing myself from the situation by turning on a show I love and getting lost in that instead :)

Day 12 - Friday May 29, 2015

This morning as I was eating breakfast, I reflected on a few things w30 has taught me:

• I can easily get up an extra half hour early to make and eat a healthy breakfast at my table before work, but try dragging me out of bed for a workout? Not happening. You can see clearly where my priorities are and have always been...
  • Why not create a bed of spinach for every hot meal? It's super easy and fast, and adds so many nutrients, it's a no brainer! Before w30 I hated spinach unless it was disguised into some scrumptious dip or omelet where the flecks were so small you weren't sure it was actually spinach leaves, but I'm warming to the possibility of having that bed on my plate for at least one meal per day - we'll keep experimenting for now.
  • While I haven't experienced any real boosts of energy, I have seen small changes. For instance, pre-w30, after dinner, I would see a sink full of dishes and think "ugh ... not now" and put off doing them while I just sat on the couch and watched Scandal. Now, I have been more diligent about cleaning dishes after dinner. I have more energy to do those little cleaning tasks when they should be done rather than pushing them off until the weekend when I just have more time. It's a small change, but I think it's a good sign for what is to come soon!
This morning I woke up with a headache and I just wanted to stay in bed all day ... But tomorrow is Saturday and that is what that is for :). I have been trying up up my water intake hoping this will help stave off headaches, but I have been having a dull pain most days this week. My brain still wants the sugar!

M1 @ 7:30 AM: leftover frittata (pork, peppers, onions), two slices bacon, one fried egg, apples sauteed in the bacon fat w/ a touch of cinnamon, spinach

Note: the last slice of the frittata was pretty small so i wanted to supplement with other proteins

9:00 AM @ work - coffee, black

M2 @ 12:00 PM: sausage & shrimp skillet (summer squash, onions and bell peppers), roasted sweet potato, magic green sauce (avocado, herbs, olive oil, lime juice)

Mini Meal @ 4:00 PM: couple shrimp, olives, snap peas

M3 @ 6:30 PM: seared salmon w/ green magic sauce on bed of spinach, bacon-wrapped asparagus

7:30 PM: yoga class

Day 13 - Saturday May 30, 2015

M1 @ 10:30 AM: 4 eggs fried, sautéed spinach, tomato slices, black coffee with a sprinkle of cinnamon

Right now I don't have any plans for the day except hitting up the farmers market. I strongly want to go to the movies and get a big bucket of popcorn... But obviously that isn't going to happen. Even going to the theater would be a trigger for food with no brakes so I feel like right now it's best to just stay away.

M2 @ 3:30 PM: homemade chicken salad (homemade mayo, cherry tomatoes, green apple, red pepper, dill pickles), half avocado, mashed sweet potato (about ⅓ cup)

Tried to do that whole "protein salad stuffed inside the half avocado" thing ... Totally didn't work! How do you actually eat it?! When you go in with your fork, all the salad falls out of the avocado! Then, if you were to just eat the protein salad out, you'd be left with a plain avocado! (Love them and all, but that's not the point!) New idea: just scoop out the flesh, lay it on a plate (or the bottom of your lunch Tupperware for work), sprinkle a bit of salt on top, mash slightly with a fork. Then top with the pre made protein salad! Just as portable and delicious, but much more functional.

M3 @ 7:30 PM: pork chop with tomatoes, onions, zucchini, handful of grapes

Spent a lot of time this evening planning meals for the entire week - tomorrow will be shopping & prep!

You are doing great! Sorry you aren't feeling the tiger blood yet, hopefully it's right around the corner for you! Day 12 (yesterday was definitely my hardest day hitting me around late afternoon and lasting until I went to bed, but I made it! Ate two damn lara bars yesterday which just isn't ok in my book as I have a history of snacking and that is something I am trying to cure during this 30 days!).

Keep up your great work, we are almost half way there!

Day 14 - Sunday May 31, 2015

M1 @ 8:00 AM: 3 eggs scrambled with a touch of coconut milk, sauteed apple, leftover pork chop (½ chop) with tomatoes and onions, coffee sprinkled with cinnamon

I woke up sans alarm this morning at 7am and didn't want to fall back asleep immediately! This is a small win in my book. Also, passing my the mirror, my face seemed thinner. :)

Around 12:30 or so, I took my leftover cold coffee (sprinkled with cinnamon) and added a tablespoon or so of coconut milk and some ice (haven't done this before but have seen it on the forums and wanted to try). Immediately afterward, I felt bloated in my lower intestines (one of the main reasons I came to w30) which I haven't felt in a few days. Anyone have thoughts about this?

M2 @ 1:30 PM: leftover chicken thighs with snap peas, roasted, mashed sweet potato (about ½ cup)

M3 @ 7:15 PM: turkey meatballs, whole30 red pepper sauce (omg so good and I'm so glad I have a ton to use all week long!), whole30 ratatouille

My family loves my meatballs so (even though they don't live with me) it's awesome I can incorporate a favorite into my meals. In the future (post w30) I will need to either just use breadcrumbs or find a gluten free alternative (depending on my reaction to gluten during reintro). The breadcrumbs play an important part in binding the meat together.

Also, it's pretty amazing to me that I lasted from 1:30pm to 7:30pm and I wasn't hungry or tired. I walked to the grocery store (1 mile), did my shopping and all my meal prep for the week between M2 and 3. I think that because my mind was focused on a task, even though that task was food focused, I wasn't able to manipulate myself into thinking I was hungry, when in reality I was just bored. I need to continue making sure my M2's are large enough, and really ask myself whether I'm hungry or bored in the afternoons.

Maybe it is a halfway thing! I'm also still (ugh) in the phase described on day 10-11 where all the junk food seems soooooo good. Even things I don't normally eat/like .... I was drooling at a Taco Bell commercial last night - Gross!!!!

And, I really want ice cream. This has always been a weakness of mine, but a Dairy Queen blizzard commercial also had me going last night! Need to find a way to distract myself during these commercials!

Day 15 - Monday, June 1, 2015

Officially halfway through!! Woo!!! :)

M1 @ 7:30 AM: Bacon Asparagus frittata, water, coffee

M2 @ 1:00 PM: chicken salad (homemade mayo, cherry tomato, red pepper, pickle), lettuce wraps, sweet potato

This is the last of the chicken salad - while non-compliant chicken salad is one of my favorite lunch options, this has not been my favorite! I'm glad I'm at the bottom of the barrel. I think this was due to the homemade mayo - I bought new olive oil this weekend and am planning on using lemon juice in my next batch instead of apple cider vinegar. We will see!

Was not hungry all afternoon and didn't feel like I needed a mini meal, however on the train home I knew my blood sugar was dipping. Still trying to find that balance of making it between 12:30 and 7:30.

M3 @ 7:00 PM: seared salmon with coconut curry over spaghetti squash and lots of frozen stir fry veggies

I did notice when I got home tonight, that my feet ankles and calves felt swollen and that pesky lower abdomen bloating was back. I drank plenty of water today (80oz) and don't think anything was overdone on the salt... These were the things I thought w30 was supposed to solve!! Argh!

Day 16 - Tuesday, June 2, 2015

So I was putting off posting my log today because I woke up generally disappointed and frustrated with whole30, which I know is just a phase but it is reality nonetheless. Here are my frustrations:

• I have woken up more times in the middle of the night over the past few nights than I did pre-w30. Mostly to go to the bathroom, which may be due to my significant increase of water. Increased water intake should be a good thing, but anytime I am woken up, I am not happy.
  • I have been generally more bloaty the past few days... Swollen feet/ankles/calves and tummy bloating at the end of the day.
  • I woke to a significant headache this morning - not fun. Additionally, I had some (painful) digestive issues first thing in the morning (gross, but reality). These two things combined put me in a generally bad mood for the day. 
  • I am the one to blame for this - however, it is now 4:30 PM and I forgot to snag a mini meal as I thought my M2 was large enough; however, I am now hungry and won't be leaving work for another hour. Thank god I planned on having leftovers for dinner so it is a simple reheat once I get there.
  • I cannot get ice cream out of my head !!! I want it so bad, and I've been craving it for a few days now. Pre-w30, if I genuinely wanted something for more than 2 days straight, I would allow myself to have it. Trying to stay strong now is becoming difficult.

My body has been a few days behind the suggested "timeline" since the beginning of this journey ... I'm really hoping better days are ahead!

M1 @ 7:30 AM: Bacon and asparagus fritatta on a large bed of baby spinach, drizzled with some olive oil and a sqeeze of lemon juice.

M2 @ 12:15 PM: Sausage and shrimp skillet (summer squash, bell peppers, onions) with the whole30 red pepper sauce (this sauce is fantastic), peaches and blueberries (fresh from the farmer :) )

M3 @ 7:00 PM: Leftover pork chop with tomatoes, onions, 1/2 cup roasted sweet potato

Looking over my meals today, I should try to incorporate more fat. I have an avocado sauce that I have been eating on the side with every meal, along with the cooking oils (olive). Maybe more fat would aid with the swelling and digestion?

I have also been daydreaming about ice cream and am not usually one to go ga-ga over it! I am planning on a family ice cream trip towards end of July though so will wait for that. I do enjoy it more when we go to our favorite place as opposed to at home so that is a good thing as it makes it more of a special occasion (and it's pricier so not something we would get into the habit of doing regularly anyway).

My tummy is also bloated and LOUD yesterday and today. Maybe a mid-way adjusting to all the meat and fiber thing? As far as night time bathroom trips, do you have a time you cut off drinking? I know that I need to not have any really past 7pm or I am guaranteed to get up in the night to go! 

We got this not much longer now! 

Day 17 - Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Well today I woke with a genuine smile on my face and jumped right out of bed, ready to begin the day. This is new! Maybe I am turning a corner after all...  :D

M1 @ 7:30 AM: Bacon and asparagus frittata, some leftover pork chop from last night, avocado sauce, coffee

M2 @ 12:30 PM: Turkey meatballs from sunday, w30 ratatouille, w30 red pepper sauce

1:30 PM: coffee - we had new interns start at my company today so I had coffee with a girl to talk about her upcoming summer!

So a few hours after the afternoon coffee, I started feeling bloated and gross .. This is just what happened on Sunday as well! I had coffee in the afternoon (Sunday it was just a few sips, today a full cup) and felt bad... Interesting ....... 

Yoga @ 5:30 PM

Yoga is one of those activities where every day is a different day - you can be super balanced one day and the next be falling out of poses everywhere. Today, I felt fantastic. I felt solid. I felt flexible (which is saying something since I was really bloated after that afternoon coffee!!). All I could think about is how thankful I am for w30 today. I feel like I am able to move easier (hopefully) because general chronic inflammation has reduced all over my body. I hope this feeling only expands over the next 13 days!  :)

Mini meal @ 6:30 PM, walking out of yoga: shrimp and olives

M3 @ 8:00 PM: steak with mocha rub from ISWF, brussels sprouts & butternut squash hash

I actually used a measuring cup at dinner to make sure that I was getting between 1-3 cups of veggies. Two cups is A LOT!!!! WOW! Although I heated up 2 cups, once I put it on my plate, there was literally room for nothing else (I have always used smaller salad size plates for my actual dinner). I removed some and was probably left with about 1 1/3 cups or so. I made PLENTY of this brussels and butternut hash on Sunday, and was planning on freezing some. I just didn't realize exactly how much it would make!

As far as night time bathroom trips, do you have a time you cut off drinking? I know that I need to not have any really past 7pm or I am guaranteed to get up in the night to go! 

We got this not much longer now! 

This is interesting - I hadn't thought of it, but it makes total sense!! I tend to keep water with me all evening after dinner, because that is when my "bored-eating" strikes me the most ferociously... I find if I keep water near, I will stave off the urge to eat something by drinking water instead.

I should look for other ways to distract myself when I get bored, which I tend to do a lot. I'm the kind of person who has to be doing 3 different things at once. Even as I type this I find myself looking over to my phone just to check if anything is going on ...... So in the evenings when I'm winding down before bed, reading or watching tv (or both at the same time!) I have a tendency to grab snacks as well.

Day 18 - Thursday, June 4, 2015

Earlier day in the office so M1 comes earlier ... 

M1 @ 7:00 AM: some leftover steak from last night (just barely one palm) with 3 eggs, leftover brussels and butternut hash, coffee once i get to the office

Had another cup of coffee around 10:30-11 or so, and already, I feel the bloating!!! It's pretty severe and painful today. The one cup in the morning doesn't affect me, but it seems when I reach for the second, it is just wreaking havoc on my system! I want to explore this further to make sure that its not something else that I'm eating in the morning, though my breakfasts today and yesterday were pretty different (eggs was the only common denominator, and I'm 99% sure its not the eggs).

M2 @ 12:00 PM: coconut curry with shrimp, lots of spaghetti squash

Its still pretty amazing to me how many veggies can fill up a plate! I now feel so bad for people who are so concerned about not eating too much, even when its veggies! Eat up! You'll feel so much better!

Mini meal @ 3:15 PM: shrimp and olives

I'm not really sure why I just ate that mini meal. But I'm so foggy and tired right now.  -_-

M3 @ 7:30 PM: 3 eggs, brussels and butternut hash

So since about just after lunch today I have been so foggy and tired. After I ate dinner, I pretty much just laid horizontal on the couch until 9:00 when I went to bed.

Erica I have struggled the past couple nights with wanting to snack in the evening (my time used to be right when I walked in the door from work) I did allow myself a banana with coconut and almonds last night but then found myself grabbing a cup of pistachios too.....it was totally out of boredom/habit and I think recognizing that is a step in the right direction! Same goes for your mini meal and evaluating how you felt and why you actually ate it? Although I am still learning I am seeing my mindset starting to shift into a "food is fuel" mindset and really questioning my choices when I have allowed myself a compliant snack! 

Can you believe it, only 11 more days and we are success stories! 

~Steph

Day 19 - Friday, June 5, 2015

So I awoke this morning STILL feeling so tired and foggy ... And the feeling has stretched until at least 3 PM today (when I'm posting this). Yoga on Wednesday night left me very sore, especially in my legs and back... I wonder if my immune system is throwing all my energy at recovering? Seems like a stretch (haha pun - but seriously) ... I keep spacing out and blanking on what I'm saying or doing. Trying to up my water intake to see if that helps.

M1 @ 7:30 AM: 2 eggs, pork sausage, broccoli, coffee

Had the same bloating feeling after coffee this morning though not as severe as yesterday. Since coffee is actually a stimulant and can have laxative effects, I'm wondering if the "bloating" feeling is actually just my intestines firing up to do some moving. But nothing is really moving either....

M2 @ 12:30 PM: leftover steak, sweet potato, roasted broccoli

M3 @ 7:15 PM: tilapia, roasted broccoli, sweet potato, avocado

Realized as I was eating dinner that I was legitimately having the "steamed fish and broccoli" meal that is used as a hunger gauge, haha! I was planning on having tilapia tonight but I was just too tired when I got home to do anything other than bake it, and the broccoli and sweet potato were simple warm ups since I already had them cooked!

Thank god for the weekly cook up and having something ready to go, or else I may seriously have broken my w30.

SO TIRED -_-

So now about two hours after dinner, 9:30, my mood has definitely improved! I really think I have been low on fats. I have been eating an avocado dressing, but a few dips here and there ain't enough! I need a whole half avocado worth of healthy fats to feel great. Lesson learned!

How did you do this weekend? We are in the home stretch lady!!!! Yes I have a half or whole avocado or 10 or more olives with each meal! I am feeling a bit slumpish myself right now but think it is due to a hard emotional weekend more than anything. I went out to a bar and out to lunch yesterday and was compliant at both (unheard of!!!!) Just need to make it through my husband's work picnic next weekend and then two conference work days and then I am onto re-intro woop!!! 

I had such a busy weekend I didn't have time to log! Also it's just so much easier to use an actual computer rather than my iPad to post on the forums, therefore I tend to do it during work hours (shh....).

Day 20 - Saturday, June 6, 2015

M1 - 3 eggs, pork sausage (homemade) spinach, other veggies (I promise I ate veggies, I am just blanking on what they were!)

M2 - went to the National's game - brought a hardboiled egg with me, and ate a compliant hot dog

M3 - out with friends after the game - ate a burger ... menu said no cheese but waitress brought it with cheese! AHHH had to ask her to make it again ... also had asparagus

Day 21 - Sunday, June 7, 2015

M1 - 4 eggs, spinach, other veggies (I promise I ate veggies, I am just blanking on what they were!)

Cookup day!! Made so much good food for the week - I'm really excited to eat it all! Also bought hella avocado so I can certainly have some more fat this week :) Also, I was super proud of myself for sticking to a budget. I planned meals for the entire week and bought everything I would need. That has been my biggest criticism of the w30; I spend so much money my first 3 weeks. But now I seem to have some handle on it. I even bought a few extra, un planned proteins, just in case, and was still just at my budget!

M2 - I was being lazy and I wasn't really hungry .. had a hb egg with some avocado, some veggies

M3 - Burger on portabello mushroom, carmelized onions, avocado, roasted red potatoes with red pepper sauce

GO CAVS!!!!

Day 22 - Monday, June 8, 2015

Woke up earlier than my alarm this morning ... At first I was mad because I stayed up late watching the game, but I felt rested. Ended up staying in bed until my alarm did go off, but bounded up and got ready pretty quickly! No draggin' on this Monday!

M1 @ 7:15 AM: Spinach and tomato fritatta (contains coconut milk), homemade pork sausage link, black coffee

M2 @ 12:30PM: burger on portabella, avocado, roasted red potatoes

I know I won't be home until 8:30-9:00 tonight so definitely needed to pack a mini-meal.

MM @ 4:45 PM: shrimp, olives, baby carrots, guac

I am glad I am posting the times that I ate, because it clearly helps me see that food has fueled my body for a specific amount of time. This helps my brain say, "See! I told you you didn't need all those snacks you used to eat! You just did that because you were bored/sad/lonely!"

M3 @ 8:30: leftover tilapia, cauli/broccoli mash

Today's Daily Whole30 email was about prepping to "ride your own bike" ... Not gonna lie, not having the "excuse" of being on w30 is kind of scaring me.... I have been down this slippery slope before. I need to think this though and really plan how I see myself being successful post-w30.

I also log mostly from work ;) during the weekends I use myfitness pal to track it all then transfer onto here on Mondays if I don't get on my home laptop LOL! 

My times are almost ALWAYS the same for my meals, meal 1 around 6:30am, meal 2 at noon, and meal 3 usually before 6pm (I don't really see myself as a creature of habit but I think with eating this way it has turned me into a definite creature of habit when it comes to my meal times!). 

Also nervous about riding my own bike, I am doing the proper re-intro and even stretched it out a bit longer I think (have it written in my planner and also mentioned it on the ladies board in here). I am pretty sure I am going to continue food logs on this site to hold me accountable for who knows how long....it will force me to come here and be influenced and keep me on the whole9 way of life! I know alcohol will most likely be the thing that I have most often while riding my own bike but I really think I can do without the rest except at parties and holidays etc...

Day 23 - June 9, 2015

M1 @ 7:00 AM: spinach and tomato frittata (contains coconut milk for fat), pork sausage link, black coffee

I didn't really enjoy the "perfect sausage" recipe found in the w30 book .... Seemed to be less fatty and juicy than the "real" thing.

This morning I'm pretty tired and foggy. I think it's mainly due to lack of fat at M3 last night. Its difficult, even with pre-prepared food, to eat a full template when I get home late and know I'm heading to bed in only an hour or so. But I should have done a better job - there's no excuse.

M2 @ 12:15 PM: tuna salad (homemade mayo [this batch is better!], orange bell pepper, granny smith apple, diced pickle), sweet potato, baby carrots

MM @ 4:00 PM: hb egg, baby carrots

M3 @ 7:30 PM: skirt steak fajitas, peppers, onions, guac

While my energy level has not been "tiger blood" status - I really am seeing the benefits of w30. I've been using less of my favorite skin product for acne, yet my skin is clearer than ever. My pants fit fantastic. I'm a bridesmaid in my best friends' wedding in two weeks - I tried on my rehearsal dinner dress and bridesmaids dress last night and they are roomier than pre-w30. Still waiting for the tiger blood! That'd be the icing on the cake!!

I know I need to make a better effort to get more, quality, sleep as well. I haven't been hitting the hay earlier as I should be. Maybe that is also the cause of the energy deficiencies :)

Slowly but surely ... I'll get there!

Day 24 - June 10, 2015

First, I want to say GO CAVS #ALLinCLE Though I currently live in Washington, DC I grew up outside of Cleveland ... and I am a huge sports fan in general. I can't explain what Lebron coming home means to me, and I can't explain what a championship would mean to that city.

Anyway ...... whole30!!!

M1 @ 7:45 AM: 3 fried eggs, spinach and garlic chicken sausage, sauteed green apple, spinach, dollop of homemade mayo

I had a dress in the back of my closet that I had been dreading pulling out for the past 4-5 months (I last remember wearing it 6 months ago) because of the additional padding I had gained on my backside. I am proud to say that today, I'm not only wearing that dress today, but I'm killing it. It zipped up without even the hint of a fight. Hugs my beautiful curves in ways I forgot were possible. I couldn't stop smiling in the mirror and even sent a picture to my mom like a proud first grader on the first day of school! THIS is reason I am falling in love with w30. THIS is the kind of non-scale victory I can get behind. :D

M2 @ 12:30 PM: grilled chicken thighs, w30 ratatouille, avocado

I am meeting a friend after work for drinks (THIS IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE ON WHOLE30!!! I am hating the negative articles I am reading about elimination diets ruining your social life for an entire month, because it is just plain not true!) - anyway ... I will need a mini meal because by the time I get home to have my dinner, it will be late.

MM @ 5:00 PM: baby carrots, shrimp, guac

M3 @ 8:00 PM: 3 fried eggs, zucchini, red potatoes, olives

Guys, please never underestimate the power of some sliced in-season zucchini, sprinkled with a healthy pinch of sea salt, placed flat in some hot olive oil, don't move those little nuggets around except to flip once. They get nice and crispy on both sides, perfectly salty and wonderful. Omg these zucchini slices were just TO DIE FOR. couldn't have asked for anything more satisfying tonight.

Day 25 - June 11, 2015

Holy HELL TWENTY-FIVE DAYS

And ummmm ...... Can I tell you that when I got to work this morning, I have been just READY to go. I don't know if this is *Tiger Blood* or not, but I feel so productive, energetic (not in the, I could do cartwheels down the hall kind of way, but in the, I feel like I can complete this day with enthusiasm, kind of way) and ... HAPPY!

M1 @ 7:30 AM: spinach and tomato frittata, half avocado

But, time for some real-talk. I have been backed up for ... a while ... and have had this dull pressure/pain that I previously had been interpreting as "bloating" but I really think its just because something hard is sitting there and isn't really moving. It has pretty much been there for the past 3 days at least. The feeling is below my belly button (maybe intestines area? .. it's not menstrual pain). I've read up on the constipation threads on the forums, and I think I just need to move more ... ugh (this is another area of my life that causes guilt and shame and has a whole lot of emotions attached).

Early in my w30 I had been including fruit and nuts; however, the past week-ish I have cut those babies out as well. I thought I was having a hard time digesting nuts, but this constipation feeling still being here makes me think its something else?

I am going to post about this in the "troubleshooting" forum just to get some additional moderator advice.

M2 @ 12:30 PM: leftover fajitas! (skirt steak, peppers, onions), avocado

MM @ 4:00 PM: shrimp, baby carrots, avocado

M3 @ 8:30 PM: salmon, poached egg, homemade mayo, spinach, zuccini

I was having some ummm blockage issues too...finally found relief yesterday, twice! I had gone on a walk the day before so maybe that is what helped? I am also trying to push as much water as I can! I think its the protein that can cause this? I keep meaning to look on the threads about this.....off to look now. HUZZAHHHH to day 25! (also feeling peppy!)

Day 26 - June 12, 2015

I got very little sleep last night due to the NBA Finals Game 4 ...  :( But, this was a choice that I made that did not increase my health. As Melissa Hartwig teaches us, that's okay!!! As long as it's a choice you made, and you understand the consequences and have a plan to add some deposits to your health bank. I am still learning not to feel guilty about these kinds of choices.

I also found out yesterday that I will be going on a last minute business trip to Florida next week ... meaning my Day 30 will be spent flying to Florida!! Complete honesty: I found a hotel on the beach only 15 miles from where I will be working on Day 30 ... even though it's not the closest hotel, I felt like I deserve it for completing the whole30. Plus, its still within the limits set by my company and client, so ... no one can fault me  :P

But!! This trip just means additional stress next week, being away from home and the comfort of my own kitchen. In addition, I will now be flying straight from Florida to Ohio, for my best friends' wedding. That means: stress of packing for two very different trips at once ... and making sure I don't forget anything for either trip!

I have complete confidence that I will do just fine. I have plans to take along some compliant emergency food, and have mapped out the entire trip. The blessing here is that the business trip will be solo, so I don't need to impress clients or colleagues or worry about what they think of my food choices. When I get back to Ohio, I'll be staying with my parents who are supportive of my whole30 and are trying to do something similar (low carb, high fat). So really, while the planning may feel overwhelming, I'm in a very good situation.

M1 @ 7:30 AM: 3 fried eggs, spinach and garlic chicken sausage, broccoli & cauli mash, black coffee

M2 @ 12:30 PM: lunch out w/ new interns! roasted half chicken (i asked, no butter used when roasting), green beans

MM @ 5:45 PM: had a few bites of the tuna salad i had brought for lunch because i was very hungry and my friend was taking forever before happy hour; at happy hour, we had steak bites and guac. I am full after this so if anything, I will have something small later tonight.

My goal is to get laundry done tonight, clean my apartment a bit, and get to bed early! And maybe a yoga class tomorrow morning. Gotta get some sleep and exercise deposits in that health bank!!!

I have been thinking about life after my 30 days and I've decided the following things:

• During the wedding I am in next weekend (after day 30), it will be a struggle to find compliant foods all day. And as a bridesmaid, its not like I have the luxury of having a purse/bag with me all day where I can store nibbles. Although I firmly believe that eating w30 is not a stressful exercise, it is really not something I want to have added to my, or the bride's, stress plates Friday and Saturday. For these reasons, I will make the healthiest choices I can, but I will completely off-road during these two days.
  • I return to my home kitchen the following Monday - depending on if i can get to the grocery store/what is left in my fridge - I will plan on coming completely back to whole30 either Monday or Tuesday. I still don't know if I want to do another complete whole30, or if I just want to do a whole15.
  • Because I am just doing a quick off-road then right back to compliant, whole30 rules, I will keep logging in this same thread.
  • After my whole15 or 30 days, I plan on doing full, proper, reintroductions. Then, I'll start an official "post w30" log.

Archived