Starting June 8th

HannahFH

How is everyone doing? I made it through the cold without quitting Whole 30! We're on Day 21 now, right? I have actually lost count. It's just starting to become normal for me now. My rosacea is improving each week, my energy is up, my joints and muscles don't hurt as much from carrying and chasing 2 small boys around all day, and I just feel pretty good right now. My mood is improving too. I still get impatient with the kids at times, but I am pausing more and thinking about how I say things to them before I say them. I'd love to hear how it's going for others!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 28. Is anyone else still doing this? Interested to see how others are doing. Today I am wanting cookies, breads and pies. I am not eating them of course, but for some reason I really, really want some. I am feeling great. My rosacea flared up again, but I think I may be reacting to spicy foods. I made the buffalo sauce and the chili this week. I haven't decided if I should do the fast track reintroduction or the slow reintroduction. What is everyone else doing? 

Hi Kendra,

I was reading this topic since I was interested to find out how people 'further down the road' are doing (I'm on day 16 myself), and I read that you've been dealing with rosacea. I have rosacea as well and for me that was the main reason to try the Whole30. If you don't mind me asking, what are your experiences with rosacea during and after the whole30? And how are you dealing with reintroducing things?

I still have about two weeks to go before I'll start reintroducing things, but I've been thinking about it already.. I'm a bit afraid that it will be difficult to establish what exactly is causing flare-ups, since I feel that the effects of things that I've been eating don't always immediately show up, but sometimes take a bit longer..

How do you think you will go about this?

Thanks for reading, and congratulations on making it to day 30! :)

Hi Kendra,

I was reading this topic since I was interested to find out how people 'further down the road' are doing (I'm on day 16 myself), and I read that you've been dealing with rosacea. I have rosacea as well and for me that was the main reason to try the Whole30. If you don't mind me asking, what are your experiences with rosacea during and after the whole30? And how are you dealing with reintroducing things?

I still have about two weeks to go before I'll start reintroducing things, but I've been thinking about it already.. I'm a bit afraid that it will be difficult to establish what exactly is causing flare-ups, since I feel that the effects of things that I've been eating don't always immediately show up, but sometimes take a bit longer..

How do you think you will go about this?

Thanks for reading, and congratulations on making it to day 30! :)

Thanks for the message. Day 30 wasn't nearly as exciting as you would think. I guess because this has become normal for me now. I hadn't thought about reintroduction too much until today. During the Whole 30, I didn't really see any improvement in my rosacea until after 2 weeks in. It's a slight improvement. I still have issues, and cystic acne which I haven't had in 21 years has returned. I am a little confused as to why on that one. The flare ups definitely seem to be from the spicy foods, but that's all I've noticed so far. I am interested to see what happens as I reintroduce foods. I think I am going to do the fast track, because I really want to know how certain foods affect me. I think I will take 2-3 days of eating Whole 30 between reintroducing each type of food so I know exactly what is causing my flare ups. I am a little nervous. I've been feeling great, and the thought of feeling bad again isn't too exciting. I'll keep you posted here and thanks for the congrats. Good luck to you on your Whole 30! 

• Moderators

Thanks for the message. Day 30 wasn't nearly as exciting as you would think. I guess because this has become normal for me now. I hadn't thought about reintroduction too much until today. During the Whole 30, I didn't really see any improvement in my rosacea until after 2 weeks in. It's a slight improvement. I still have issues, and cystic acne which I haven't had in 21 years has returned. I am a little confused as to why on that one. The flare ups definitely seem to be from the spicy foods, but that's all I've noticed so far. I am interested to see what happens as I reintroduce foods. I think I am going to do the fast track, because I really want to know how certain foods affect me. I think I will take 2-3 days of eating Whole 30 between reintroducing each type of food so I know exactly what is causing my flare ups. I am a little nervous. I've been feeling great, and the thought of feeling bad again isn't too exciting. I'll keep you posted here and thanks for the congrats. Good luck to you on your Whole 30!

You might be sensitive to nightshades, which include tomatoes, peppers, and regular potatoes. If you're up for more eliminations (now or sometime in the future), that might be something to look into. On the plus side, even many people with a nightshade sensitivity can still eat some, they usually just have to limit how much or how often they eat them.

Hi Kendra,

Thanks for your reply! Sorry to hear about the acne returning, that must be difficult!! Good luck with the reintroduction, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

@Shannon, thanks for your message as well. I've read about nightshade sensitivity and rosacea, there might definitely be a connection there. But then how is it possible that rosacea seems to improve while on the Whole30, where there are potatoes, tomatoes etc included? Is it because the Whole30 is anti-inflammatory in nature, and then the nightshades aren't as harmful as when eaten in a 'normal' diet?

Also, I've been looking into the connection between rosacea and high-histamine food. Do you think there is a relation there?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just been wondering about the best ways to deal with rosacea, and there is so much information out there, but some of it is quite contradictory.. Thanks in advance!!

• Moderators

Hi Kendra,

Thanks for your reply! Sorry to hear about the acne returning, that must be difficult!! Good luck with the reintroduction, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

@Shannon, thanks for your message as well. I've read about nightshade sensitivity and rosacea, there might definitely be a connection there. But then how is it possible that rosacea seems to improve while on the Whole30, where there are potatoes, tomatoes etc included? Is it because the Whole30 is anti-inflammatory in nature, and then the nightshades aren't as harmful as when eaten in a 'normal' diet?

Also, I've been looking into the connection between rosacea and high-histamine food. Do you think there is a relation there?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just been wondering about the best ways to deal with rosacea, and there is so much information out there, but some of it is quite contradictory.. Thanks in advance!!

I'm definitely not an expert on this. You might get more and better information if you started a topic in the troubleshooting section of the forum asking what others who have rosacea have found work best for them, or google whole30 rosacea and see what's been discussed in the past. It was your mention of the correlation with eating spicy foods that made me think of it, so I thought it was worth mentioning in case you hadn't thought of that.

I suspect the generally anti-inflammatory nature of whole30 may explain why things improve some even with nightshades included. There also seems to be a lot of variability in how an individual may react to nightshades. Maybe you can eat a little bit most days, but if one day you have a lot more than usual you'll notice a reaction, or maybe you can have bigger servings, but only once or twice a week and if you have more than that you see a reaction. That can make it harder to pin down exactly what's going on, since you could be eating the exact same foods you always have and not realize you've been eating more of them.

Also consider that skin issues seem to take longer to clear up than some other issues, so it can take longer than 30 days to really see results.

I'm really not that familiar with how histamine might affect skin issues.

I really think you ought to make a post in the troubleshooting section. In the title try to include the words rosacea, nightshades, and histamines to hopefully get the attention of people with more experience with these things than I have. Explain that you notice spicy food seems to cause it to get worse. Hopefully someone can give you a little more guidance and you can get this figured out.

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your reply (and sorry for my late answer). I think I will start a new topic about it. I've read some topics of people who mention rosacea but I could't find any specifics on rosacea and nightshades.

How are you doing, Kendra?

Doing the fast track reintro. Legumes weren't horrible but I definitely noticed some gastrointestinal issues from them. They'll most likely become an every now and then food for me. Gluten free alcohol seems ok. My rosacea is still about the same. I am wondering if nightshades may be the problem. Going to look for a reintroduction forum topic to join and try to reduce the amount of nightshades. It's so hard to avoid them all together. It definitely limits the food options if I am not bringing back Whole 30 banned foods very often. Checking out gluten free grains tomorrow. Hope your Whole 30 is going well!

Archived