The Whole 50!

maddieaddie

Hi All,

Starting my Whole 50 today - countdown to the beach trip!

About me... 41 years old; height 5' 7"; weight 167 lbs; mother of two young ones; grad student with long commute; sleep 7-8 hrs a night in all dark room, but I often wake up 1-2 times during the night; was eating low-carb paleo; started Crossfit Bootcamp this week.

Difficulties... Over the past 3 years I haven't been able to lose weight/2 pants sizes, despite being low carb primal/paleo. I am always working on it, and I have to manage my attitude at times because of my lack of success. I try not to despair, but I also have to try not to get too excited about the next "new" thing. I think that very low carb may have led to some down-regulated hypothyroid function, so I added some veggies back in. It helped some symptoms, but my weight did not go down - in fact, it went up a few pounds. Keep in mind, my whole hypothroid story is long and science-y and not supported by my doctors. I have reached out ot the community at times (Robb Wolf and Mark's Daily Apple forums, plus reading PaleoHacks and many others) and tried various suggestions, but without any lasting success.

What's new to me?... I'm already eating pretty clean (no grains or legumes, little dairy, no seed oils, little fruit). I think what is new is that my protein portions and fat portions will be in controlled portions and that I will be 100% strict about having no exceptions. My weight has continued to climb slowly, so this morning, Day 1, I handed my scales to my husband and asked him to put them in the attic for me.

Crossfit is also new. I have struggled with consistent exercise over the past 3 years, but find it hard to make the time. The accountability of Crossfit Bootcamp is great for me at this stage of my life. I highly recommend it - WARNING: You WILL be sore!

I plan to update my Whole9 log with food/workout stuff. Who knows -- it could end up being a hard-won success story that could benefit others who find weight loss/improved body composition to be so difficult.

Thanks for visiting!

maddieaddie

Hey Maddie!! I'm at CF Durham, too. I started my whole30 with Ashley (she teaches morning bootcamps) at the end of my last boot camp and now I'm in the foundations course, which ramps you up to do the crossfit workouts. I am having an impossible time finding a place to eat out (you cook a LOT on this plan) around the Triangle, so if you know of anywhere let me know.

I did two bootcamps and loved them. I'm on day 18 of my first whole30 and was nothing close to primal/paleo before hand. Straight up SAD/Weight Watchers and i went cold turkey on everything. Let's just say it's been tough :)

I had a pretty decent Whole 30 meal at Neomonde in Raleigh this week: beef kebab, fruit salad, and a fattoush salad made with olive oil. They list their ingredients on everything so it's easier to make good choices. There are two other Neomonde locations in the Triangle in Morrisville and North Raleigh.

This is my first Whole 30 but I went mostly paleo for Lent and it was a great experience!

Hi dboothsummers and ambermae! Our absolute favorite place to go is Ted's Montana Grill. They have bison or beef burgers, side dishes, and salad options that are paleo. Best of all, they are careful to keep your food gluten-free if you request. We have never been "dosed" with gluten there. We also like Blue Corn on Ninth Street (fajitas no beans, rice or tortilla, add order of guacamole or ceviche) - they are also good about keeping foods gluten-free, and the Whole Foods in Chapel Hill (best location in the triangle - lots of meats on their hot bar with ingredients listed; good for take-out).

In Raleigh I've had Thaiphoon (Thai; bring your own "soy" sauce), Mantra (Indian), and The Pit (Carolina barbecue). All good and gluten-free upon request. Thanks for the tip on Neomonde. I live in Durham but work in Raleigh, so I'll have to try that one out!

Hey NC people! I just bought sugar-free bacon from Coon Rock Farm at the North Hills farmer's market. I know they visit other markets around the Triangle, so you may want to keep an eye out. They have two kinds of bacon: one that is made conventionally with sugar, and one that is processed by the awesome German meat guy at the Weeping Radish that doesn't have sugar. Both are made with Coon Rock's pastured pork. It was delicious!

http://coonrockfarm.com/

http://www.weepingradish.com/

Maddieaddie- I just commented in another thread of yours. Reading your intro was interesting, especially your thought that your thyroid isn't right. Have you checked out StopTheThyroidMadness? Your story sounds typical of many of the stories there. Just another source to check out—I will say that STTM helped me hugely in getting my energy and my life back! It was first, then Whole30s have helped to support my thyroid and adrenals (and other hormones).

Hey everyone!

Another NC girl here, though I'm closer to Fayetteville. I am a recent transplant from Colorado and am having the HARDEST time finding fresh ANYTHING! No unsweetened coconut, no pastured eggs, no grass fed animals of any species... I'd rather not have to order everything online and Raleigh is about an hour from me, so not particularly practical.

Can someone help me??

NC rocks! We just got a groupon for Carolina Grown, which is a twist on the farm co-op, where they have gathered together a bunch of local farmers to make sort of a C.S.A. that delivers to your house (Coon Rock bacon is included on their menu). We're thinking about getting a few shares for chicken, pork, eggs, fruit and veggies. Check it out at www.carolinagrown.org. The groupon right now is for half off of a $50 veggie package or a different special on meat - you'll have to read the details. They deliver to the Triangle and Triad on Fridays and Fayetteville area on Saturdays!

Archived