I GAINED weight...and I'm happy about it!

hurdnat27

Here's one I bet you don't hear every day: I gained 4-5 pounds throughout the course of my Whole 30, and I couldn't be happier about it.

About a year and a half ago I found out I had severely torn my meniscus (I'm a college soccer player). My tear required surgery, and 5 hours and a lot of anesthesia later, I woke up with a full-leg brace and the knowledge that I would be on crutches for the next 8 weeks. During this time, I lost what felt like all the muscle in my leg. To a soccer player, that was devastating.

When I finally got off the crutches, I had months and months of physical therapy and rehab ahead of me. I had to learn how to walk again, how to sit normally, and how to train my leg to be a functioning member of my body again. Fast forward another 6 months, and I got the news that my initial repair surgery on my meniscus didn't fully work, and I was headed under the knife again.

The second surgery was a lot easier and the recovery a lot faster, and I was finally able to get back into the weight room. I lifted and ran heavily for months, but I just wasn't seeing huge improvements like I wanted to. For me, I knew the most important thing to do to prevent further injury was to put on a lot of muscle, but it seemed like I could only put on a little.

Well, I started my second Whole 30, mainly to break a reemerging sugar addiction, but I am so happy to say that I found so much success with finally being able to put a lot of muscle on my body. Right around Day 20, I started feeling like a warrior in the gym. The pre and post workout meals fueled my energy endlessly. I now feel totally confident in my ability to play my sport without fear of injury due to a lack of muscle, and I owe it all to the Whole 30. Who knew gaining weight could feel so good??

And of course, my non-scale victories feel fantastic as well: I wake up at 5 am for work feeling amazing and ready to take on the day. My skin, which has struggled with acne for the better part of 8 years, is finally starting to clear up. My positivity and optimistic attitude is so pronounced I think I'm starting to annoy people with it. Overall, I'm extremely proud of my results, and I cannot wait to see how this healthy eating lifestyle further impacts me in the future. Thanks Whole 30!

Yayyyyyyy!!!!!

I totally get this! I am dealing with Chondromalacia Patella.  I have to say that if I wasn't paleo I think I would be dealing with so much chronic pain and inflammation than I am.  Instead it's minor discomfort.

Archived