Starting July 16....

Karunya1008

Kate here!  53 years old, living with lupus, and I recently found myself bingeing again after losing 120 pounds on a commercial diet.  I learned some things during that time (sugar and wheat are a no-no, it's important for me to eat protein and fat, etc.) but I'm having trouble getting back "on the wagon" despite rapid weight gain and health issues.

I am starting my Whole 30 on Thursday because I will be at work (I work at a high-end organic market, where I will have immediate gratification opportunities for organic produce and farm-raised meat during my 12-hour shift).  I chose to open a body care shop in this market in 2014 because of the vendor perk of getting everything for 50% off.  I really don't know how to cook meat (I was a vegan before starting my diet in 2012 and reluctantly allowing meat and dairy into my life), and I hope to pick up these skills during my first Whole 30.

My original diet put my lupus into remission, and I look forward to even more positive results from my first Whole 30.  I know that my eating has enormous effects on my health, and I am anticipating "pushing the reset button" and getting back to a healthier food lifestyle.

• Moderators

Hi, Kate! If you can, get yourself a copy of The Whole30 -- it has a ton of kitchen tips and recipes, including basic how tos for everything from ground meat to steak to burgers to shrimp to chicken. Obviously, if that's not in the budget, there are tons of how-to videos on youtube and elsewhere on the internet as well, but sometimes it's nice to have everything all in one place.

50% off organic produce and farm-raised meat is an amazing benefit, definitely take advantage of it!

Thanks, Shannon! I've ordered a copy of the book, and I was able to get a copy of "It Starts With Food" from the library, which I am picking up today.  I'm also getting the daily e-mails.  I have to remember that most people in the world have learned how to cook meat, and I am fairly smart, so I can learn it too!  I know that my favorite meats are roasted turkey and ground beef, and I know how to cook them.  So I might just be having lots of those two foods for a few days, until I am ready to try more complex recipes.  I'll ask our butcher shop to make me a rotisserie turkey with no flavorings, and that plus some burger patties will keep me out of trouble for awhile.  I'm really blessed to have the resources available to easily get wholesome foods, and I have a long grocery list to pick up at work this weekend.  I considered keeping dairy foods in my diet, but decided that for 30 days, I can live without them.  Hard cheese might be my first reintroduction after the Whole 30, but for the duration I will do the plan as written.

Greetings, Kate!

Simone here. I am also starting July 16 (that's how I found your post!). So we are Whole30 twins. :) I'm inspired by how you are taking your health into your own hands! I have also become a carnivore over the past couple years. I've got the Whole 30 book as well, and for me I suspect that the massive amount of cooking will definitely be the main challenge. I think it is the *convenience* of the forbidden foods I will miss most! Anyway, I hope it is OK to check in with you since we will be going through the same 30 days together.

All best,

SImone

Archived