Hey all

Tara_Denee

Started the Whole30 today! I am super excited but also nervous at the same time. I have also decided to quit smoking during this 30 challenge (and longer!!!) I just really dont want to give in. Keeping my stress levels down will definitely help. I also think making a exercise program would help me. Does anyone have any suggestions for beginners? I don't have a lot of money so I cant join any gyms or anything. It is my goal to be healthier and I know I can accomplish this. I cant wait to see how differently I will be feeling at the end of this program!

Hey Tara, congrats on making a commitment to your health!  I'm sure there will be many challenges in the next 30 days, but you really can do this!  For exercise, it really doesn't have to be anything expensive or complex.  You could try walking 3-5 times a week, maybe at a local park or in your neighborhood.  You can also incorporate some healthy changes to boost it a little, like parking at the back of a parking lot, walking to multiple stores, rather than re-parking your car, etc.  I have a fitbit (they start at about $50) and it makes it easy and fun to track my steps throughout the day...and since I'm a little competitive, I constantly think about how to improve on my previous achievments.  

Best of luck...and definitely plug into the forum, lots of good advice and encouragement here as you go through the whole experience!

Started the Whole30 today! I am super excited but also nervous at the same time. I have also decided to quit smoking during this 30 challenge (and longer!!!) I just really dont want to give in. Keeping my stress levels down will definitely help. I also think making a exercise program would help me. Does anyone have any suggestions for beginners? I don't have a lot of money so I cant join any gyms or anything. It is my goal to be healthier and I know I can accomplish this. I cant wait to see how differently I will be feeling at the end of this program!

Simply start walking out your front door and keep going.  You don't need anything fancy or a gym membership.   You have to find activities you'll enjoy for the rest of your life and do them on your terms.

I can't tell you the number of gym memberships I've let fall by the wayside.  

Activities you enjoy won't be something you dread.   Doing activities we dread in the name of weight loss and dieting seldom last.  I know that in this day of extreme sports everyone and their cousin is doing a marathon. Bob in accounting does an Ironman carrying a heavy backpack and everyone else is participating in triathlon sports - that somehow a person who starts walking and hiking feels the need to put the word "just" in front of their accomplishment. 

But walking or hiking at some speed above completely still is activity.  You do not need any measuring or tracking gadgets.  They won't help you listen to your body's cues and that's what you want.   You don't have to count calories burned, macros, micros or distance.   Your body will tell you want it wants to do.   You may want to log your food so someone can take a look at it but eventually, you don't need to log your food either.   Your new Whole 30 habits will become second nature.

Find a hill when you're ready and more hills.   Driving someplace to walk can become a chore but simply stepping out the front door and coming home works for me.

Here's a couple of posts about tracking, counting, measuring...etc.

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 6363 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:30 AM

Devices and apps report crude calculations that are routinely out of touch with reality. They offer entertainment value, not meaningful information. 

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Drop it. During a Whole30, we want you to practice listening to your body. Counting/tracking gets in the way. You don't even need to keep a food log. A log helps so that we can spot when you might need to eat more protein, fat, or carbs, but a log should not be a substitute for tracking/counting.Your body may not be giving great signals now, but ultimately, your body is more authoritative than any record could be. 

Archived