Start Date August 2, 2015

oceangirl

Hello. I am Oceangirl.   I read an interview with Dallas Hartwig in Experience LIfe magazine and related so much to the focus on whole foods and frustration with pain and inflammation in the body. Decided to read "It Starts with Food" and it made sense, so I am on the Whole30 journey since August 2. The hardest part for me is breads and other grains. I'm fortunate in that I don't drink alcohol and I already weaned myself off of milk.  I never ate a ton of yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese, cheese but I feel their absence right now.  Also .... nut butters! .... I know almond butter is OK but I used to have almond butter on whole wheat toast as a go-to breakfast EVERY DAY! Now, eggs and meat, meat, meat, meat. That's what it seems like to me, I've never been a "voracious carnivore".  I love fish, but it's pricey.  I already eat a lot of veggies (or so I thought!) and fruit (maybe too much?).  Not reaching for the Hershey's bite-sized snacks, or ice-cream with my husband, is different.  But I'm doing this in August for a reason - a lot of people are away, and stress at work is a bit less. Really want to succeed.  My gut has not been well, the past four months have been particularly bad.  Gas.  Bloating.  Unpleasant elimination.  Was eating more grains and beans in an effort to increase consumption of plant proteins.  Look forward to seeing how this works. And in particular, with reintroduction, learning what foods are the culprits.  

Biggest challenge for me is planning ... making & prepping enough food ahead of time so I can follow the plan during a busy work week.

Hi oceangirl & welcome to Whole30

If you're already struggling with gas & bloating you might want to restrict your consumption of raw & cruciferous veg to once a day maximum as both can be hard on the digestive system, as can nuts. Try adding cooked veg in with salads to make them more satiating & easier on the tummy, and make sure you're drinking the recommended 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Good luck!

Archived