Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DJS - I decided I will not look at the scale for another 30 days , well now 29.  But I can not focus on the number I have lost inches, and my food choices are going much better.  I keep thinking I may try something off program, but so far nothing has crossed my path that I care to have.  I thought about on Saturday I may go to the bakery and get me something good - BUT I am going to sit and enjoy every single bite. 

My mother in law is coming to town for 3 weeks - she is planning on cooking some recipe with canned of celery soup and canned mushroom soup.  Even during my old eating style I did not eat that crap - I have already been laying ground work that I eat "clean and green" now.  Hopefully she will not get overly offended! 

Keep on Keeping on!

Thanks lmc!  Felt fine! Even had lots of energy all day and no usual early afternoon fog!  Still not really into coffee.  Did have pizza tonight- very long day and never got to cook.  Kids had to eat and get showers, and I was too hungry to wait til that was done.  Instantly had heartburn.  Darned tomato sauce.  Seems like raw tomatoes are fine, but cooked tomato sauce is not.  Didn't want to mix gluten and cheese but oh well.  Do not plan to have cheese again til maybe New Years- I love cheddar yet know I need to eat clean.   Can do without gluten, so I will. 

Am so glad to know that I can and now prefer to eat clean.  Will be intersting to see how I feel in the next day or two after the pizza.  Back to W30 til Sunday to see how I feel other than heartburn.

So glad the PB seems to be working for your son, lmc.  Hope he continues to see the success!

Way to go team!

I weighed in and I lost 17 pounds and 2 inches off my waist (225 to 208).  I am going to keep going with a little more leniency.  If I feel like I am losing control again, I will go back to 100%.  

It's too much fun to stop!  I love buying so much produce and making new and healthy foods.  Who needs processed desserts when you can eat fried plantains, sweet potatoes and dates!?

So I'm not sure if the corn/rice made me feel bad yesterday or if I just had a bad day.  How is it best to determine if the non-glutenous grains were the reason for the mood issues as well as physical issues?  Ultimately I don't NEED these items in my life, but would like to know if they are the reason I was super grumpy, anxious, and irritable last night.  Also I wanted the biggest bag of m&m's known to man.  I had sparkling water with limes instead but that ridiculous craving was something I haven't had in a very long time!

So I'm not sure if the corn/rice made me feel bad yesterday or if I just had a bad day.  How is it best to determine if the non-glutenous grains were the reason for the mood issues as well as physical issues?  Ultimately I don't NEED these items in my life, but would like to know if they are the reason I was super grumpy, anxious, and irritable last night.  Also I wanted the biggest bag of m&m's known to man.  I had sparkling water with limes instead but that ridiculous craving was something I haven't had in a very long time!

You could retest to confirm.  Although it does sound like these not-gluten grains caused multiple issues for you: physical, mood and cravings.

Thanks lmc!  Felt fine! Even had lots of energy all day and no usual early afternoon fog!  Still not really into coffee.  Did have pizza tonight- very long day and never got to cook.  Kids had to eat and get showers, and I was too hungry to wait til that was done.  Instantly had heartburn.  Darned tomato sauce.  Seems like raw tomatoes are fine, but cooked tomato sauce is not.  Didn't want to mix gluten and cheese but oh well.  Do not plan to have cheese again til maybe New Years- I love cheddar yet know I need to eat clean.   Can do without gluten, so I will. 

Am so glad to know that I can and now prefer to eat clean.  Will be intersting to see how I feel in the next day or two after the pizza.  Back to W30 til Sunday to see how I feel other than heartburn.

So glad the PB seems to be working for your son, lmc.  Hope he continues to see the succ

Cvan- gliadin and glutenin are the largest culprits in heartburn and aggravation of the bowels. Tomatoes are not usually implicated, neither are peppers and spicy(hot) foods, unless they are consumed with wheat and corn products as their base. Just a thought. 

For the first time yesterday I went off of program.  I had chai tea latte from a coffee shop - had milk and a little sugar in it.  Did not sleep well last night, and this morning my nose will not quit running.  I have felt strongly that dairy was a problem, I will wait a few days and try dairy by itself again. 

I am still having a rash on my chest - I think the culprit maybe olive oil when it is heated.  Not sure if I need to have a dermatologist test this - if it is not that it is a soy isolate problem, I have tried to avoid it, but I looked at something this week and it was on the label down low.

Still doing well lots of energy, and not hungry!

Thanks Chef.  Makes sense with how quickly the syptoms start after a glutenous (is that a word?) product that the reflux would start.  However, had some reflux with the W30 gezpacho and my own tomato sauce.  Not as bad, but still there.

Starting W30 again tomorrow.  Will drink occasional coffee w/cream.  Maybe an occasional sweet if it is worth it.  Went off program this weekend- our 125th Anniversary this weekend at church.  Feeling very very tired this morning and heartburn sucks.  Can tell you that other than the coffee and some honey for my sore throat, nothing really tasted all that great.  Was glad for that.  Was sad that I went overboard w/the sweets.  Looking forward to going back on program- obviously not ready to be on my own.

Decided to start Whole30 again today with my girlfriend joining me. She had a fit when she got home and all her 'goodies' were not in their places. I think she thought that this was an option, I assured her it was not. When we had discussed starting today, she had no problem with it, then after dinner she had a craving and all her stuff was not available and she kind of freaked. I was supportive and sympathetic, but not giving in to her begging. When I said it was only day one, she had to relent and be strong. This will be a challenge for her. She is a sweet addict, so she needs this very badly, but it's got to be her doing it. so on we go. One day at a time.

She started doing most of it with me the last round, except for her dessert with tea at night. She also has a snack problem that she inherited from low fat eating all these years, where you have to eat every 2 hours or crash. She knows this stuff intellectually, but still has the Jones that override her mind. All I can do is be there for her when she needs it.

Completed my Whole 30 and felt fabulous.  Lost weight, inches.  

Last night had a waffle with berries and whipped cream.  Tasted so good going down, but OH!  I had that foggy headed, pounding in my brain and couldn't stay awake.  Terrible.  Never doing that again.  It has to be the sugar because a couple of pieces of bread 4 days ago didn't do much.  

I need my Whole 30 life back.

Good morning everyone!

Hope everyone is doing great and feeling great!

Today I am reintroducing gluten....hoping for the best.

So far I have reintroduced, non- glutenous grains and dairy.  

Dairy I am not sure of.  In the morning I had eggs in butter, and a bite of yogurt.  I went out with my wife for lunch that day, my first time eating out since starting W30, I had grilled chicken with avocado and tomato and dry greens.  I used maybe 1/2 teaspoon of ranch dressing and ate 1/2 slice of swiss cheese.  About 20 minutes later I felt like I was going to explode.  My stomach was doing somersaults and i was getting chills, horrible gas pains and cramps.  It wasn't pretty.  But after a few runs to the bathroom I was finally done with the cramping.  Dinner I made enchilladas with a little cheese and sour cream, then had a bit of ice cream.  I didn't get the same feeling after dinner that I did with lunch.  I was tired and fell asleep - I assume it was the sugar from the ice cream.  The next day just felt a bit achy and icky from the day before.  I assume dairy is not good with me, but also wonder why it happened when I ate out and not that night at home.  What on earth could they have used on the chicken that would do that to my insides?????

Learning and keeping notes...

The truth hurts, especially when it's something we have always considered a staple. I find that as far as glutenous grains go, I stick with organic, heirloom small batch ground or whole grains. The grains have not been overly processed and come from plants that have been in human diets for thousands of years, Anything that has been hybridized post 1945 I stay away from. It takes some research and trail and error but it is possible to enjoy certain select grains in limited quantities. As always, it has to be worth the possible effects, because of it's quality and taste make it a must.

Dairy always gives me gas and the stinkies. 

Keep plugging away everybody.

Mike

No major issues so far, but thinking about starting up again late next week or so.  Need to experiment a bit more with veggies and such to make it easier next time.  Still so NOT a veggie person, no matter how and what I try.  But, will make it work.

Sounds like everyone is finding out some interesting things about themselves. 

Mostly compliant here too- just coffee.  I did have a milk shake last night because of the surgery, and no idea if that has contributed to feeling yucky or not.  Will be able to further investigate as the weeks go on.  Have not done grains or beans at all and have avoided gluten since learning it probably triggers my reflux.  Not really missing anything at this point.

Had regular Half & Half in an ice coffee yesterday. Not good, had the gas, bloating and the nasty smells. Won't be doing that again. Had real organic butter from Trader Joe's and had no issues. Also had some Trader Joe's 1000 day Gouda with no problems. Going to stay away from the liquid dairy and yogurts.\

I had 2 margarita's last nite, my head is killing me!   I have stayed on program except for 1 taste of milk, and the 2 drinks.  I am happy on program.  My mother in law is in town she wants to cook tonite, and none of it is compliant not sure how to handle this one tactfully. 

For those of you extending your Whole30 beyond 30 days, it's fine to keep posting on this thread.

For those of you who have moved onto reintroductions, we ask that you create a new thread in the Whole30 Reintroduction section to keep the forum clean and not confuse newbies who might read this thread and see off-plan foods being consumed.

Thank you!

Happy Friday!

Chef Mike, I like how you think and analyze things, I am learning a lot from you...THANK YOU!!!!

I am going back to whole 30 eating next week and see how I do.  I have done the structured reintroductions this week and am really overall not feeling great.  Had horrible reaction to gluten that is taking days to get over, dairy wasn't great, and non glutenous grains weren't wonderful.  So it seems that if I want to feel good I need to be eating W30 compliant meals more often than not.  I do love learning how my body is working and how things affect me.  I need to break down my dairy further like Chef Mike.....I suspect some might be ok and others not.

My wife on the other hand did not do the structured reintroduction.  She has been aware and reintroducing some foods and restaurants she ate before.  Other than a little discomfort on some meals she hasn't had major gut upset.  Although her blood sugar levels are not as good as they were while on W30 and the swelling in her legs, feet and ankles is back.  Disappointing, but eye opening for her to decide if it is worth it or not to eat out and not have compliant meals.

So thankful for what W30 has taught me and continues to teach me!

Hey gang,

Since we don't want to confuse the newbies, should we start a stream/topic of "Some of us sorta reintroduced on 9/23" and make GFChris happy?  I am not literate enough to start a topic on my own, but if someone can I will follow.

As to reintro, I am so frustrated!  The bag of antibiotics they gave me before and during my surgery was almost as big as my IV bag.  Now I am on horse pills for a week!  So, I will be on W30 until Thanksgiving, then MAYBE through til Christmas so I can clean out my gut again.  I have a rash again, the same kind I kept getting with over-use of antibiotics in the first place.

On the plus side, I know that in a few weeks, after W30 takes over the damage done this time, I will be healthier.  Maybe between Tgiving and Cmas I'll do a little reintro depending on how my self control is holding up.

Hey gang,

Since we don't want to confuse the newbies, should we start a stream/topic of "Some of us sorta reintroduced on 9/23" and make GFChris happy?  I am not literate enough to start a topic on my own, but if someone can I will follow.

As to reintro, I am so frustrated!  The bag of antibiotics they gave me before and during my surgery was almost as big as my IV bag.  Now I am on horse pills for a week!  So, I will be on W30 until Thanksgiving, then MAYBE through til Christmas so I can clean out my gut again.  I have a rash again, the same kind I kept getting with over-use of antibiotics in the first place.

On the plus side, I know that in a few weeks, after W30 takes over the damage done this time, I will be healthier.  Maybe between Tgiving and Cmas I'll do a little reintro depending on how my self control is holding up.

iT'S ALL DONE cVAN- http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/31574-re-introing-and-staying-as-clean-as-possible-whole-30-ending-92315/, C U THERE

Archived