Lori's Checking in

LoriLifts

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished Whole30.

My bloodwork results are back, I'm very happy with the numbers. I wrote about it on the Success Story page. The number that really made me smile are my Triglycerides. They dropped from 59mg in 2011 to 38mg this year. I'm eating lots of fat but it's not hanging around in my blood!

My next experiment is to do a low carb/high fat diet. Eating high fat seems to agree with my body. If I eat eggs with bacon and avocado, I'm satisfied for hours. I've learned that if I'm satiated, I don't crave carbs.

In 4 weeks I meet with the Paleo doc. He also advocates a LCHF diet. When I'm at his office I'm doing a glucose tolerance test. I think I'm also getting bloodwork done again. I'll see if there is a difference, good or bad, with eating more fat than protein.

I ate too much fruit during Whole30, I'll make sure my next round isn't during peach season!

Fruit is limited on a LCHF diet, mostly just a small serving of berries. I'm going to adhere to this rule for the next 30 days. If I can give up dairy and wine for Whole30, reducing fruit should be a snap!

Some days I also succumbed to snacking. This is one habit I need to break. On Whole30 I was never hungry, it was just a mindless activity. The snacks were never bell peppers or celery, usually it was a (big) spoonful of almond butter with coconut butter. Time to cut this out.

So, until I meet with the Paleo Doc in October...

-No Snacking

-Limited fruit

-Add back high fat dairy

I'll see what happens.

Thanks

Yup,I am going on,probably for a week or two

I am finding it quite easy now that I have worked out how my my body likes to eat.

I am more comfortable eating mostly veggies and just a little meat or chicken

I didn't lose any weight but my clothes are looser and hopefully if continue eating like this,in time i will lose weight

Into to Europe at the end of the month so we will see how I manage there

I can always do another W30 when I get back.

Thought I'd check in to mark my spot.

Odds and ends..

-So far I'm enjoying eating low carb/high fat. Dairy doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

-I did however, find that I can't control my dark chocolate intake. I added back the 70% kind, thinking a square or two would be nice. Much to my dismay, I found that I can't just have a "square or two". I've cut it from my daily rotation, dang it.

-I haven't been weighing myself but I can fit into all my clothes. I'm a happy camper.

-When I was doing Whole30 I was eating the recommended 3 meals a day. Maybe it's the high fat but I'm doing 2 meals a day now. I eat breakfast and then am not hungry until dinner.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Gerber (AKA the Paleo Doc) on October 12. I'm going to do a glucose test to determine how many carbs I can be eating on an average day.

Later Gators...

I've found a sure fire way to stop thinking about food.

Get a kitten.

During Whole30, we had to put our 16 year old cat down. It broke my heart, for the first time in over 20 years my husband and I didn't have a cat in our house. We thought that maybe next year we might get an older cat.

Instead we got a kitten in less than 2 weeks.

Holy grass-fed cow! We've had old cats for so long, I forgot what an 11 week old is like! I've been so busy chasing after him that I'm not missing my daily dark chocolate!

It's time for a nap!

-I did however, find that I can't control my dark chocolate intake. I added back the 70% kind, thinking a square or two would be nice. Much to my dismay, I found that I can't just have a "square or two". I've cut it from my daily rotation, dang it.

Hey Lori :)

For myself, high-quality unsweetened chocolate scratches the cocoa itch without flipping the sugar switch (hows that for bad poetry?).

I also enjoy blending Valrhona cocoa powder with coconut milk, adding a pinch or two of spice, espresso powder, a tablespoon of goat cheese, or whatever... Mmmm!

-I haven't been weighing myself but I can fit into all my clothes. I'm a happy camper.

-When I was doing Whole30 I was eating the recommended 3 meals a day. Maybe it's the high fat but I'm doing 2 meals a day now. I eat breakfast and then am not hungry until dinner.

Me too! A proper breakfast holds me all day--though I tend to enjoy an early dinner (by 5PM) Being fat-adapted is a beautiful thing. My body runs very smoothly this way.

The hunger I feel in the hour or so before dinner is much more manageable; I feel hungry, but my energy and mood are still pretty even, whereas years ago "hungry" was almost a synonym for "bitchy" or "4:00PM face-plant on my desk".

I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Gerber (AKA the Paleo Doc) on October 12. I'm going to do a glucose test to determine how many carbs I can be eating on an average day.

Glad you are monitoring this and sharing the results...always interesting :)

Enjoy the kitten chaos!

Maeva

Later Gators...

Hi Maeva,

I'm working out of town, as soon as I get home I'm making that Valrhona combo! Thanks!

Being fat adapted rocks! I'm on the same type of schedule as you, breakfast, then an early dinner. I'll never go back to being a carb-a-holic.

Talk to you soon...

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya Lori,

I am beginning another Whole 30 this Sunday, 21 November.

I think I remember that you were considering a Whole 30 for the 30 days preceding Thanksgiving.

Are you with me?

And/Or anyone else...?

Archived