Starting today! (Sept. 5)

SewCapricious

Hello,

I've been reading about and researching the Whole 30 for the past couple weeks. Yesterday I made a week of meals plans and went shopping. This morning I had my first compliant meal--scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, spinach, and 1/4 an avocado. It tasted pretty good, but it was too much fat and made me a little sick to my stomach (I used a TBL of coconut oil to cook the eggs). I guess I need to stick to the lower end of the fat recommendations. 

I'm excited to be starting this challenge and hopeful that it will make a big difference in the way I feel. But I'm also worried that I won't be able to stay away from sugar. I have spent some time thinking about what I will do when I really start craving sugar or some other off-plan food. Maybe that will make a difference.

Right now I'm really wanting my morning cup of tea with sugar. Time to drink some water and distract myself.

I hope I can get plenty of support here.

Welcome!

Don't short-change yourself with fat. You're already at the low end with what you had this morning. Instead, I encourage you to try other fat sources and find what works for you, using the amounts recommended in the meal template. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

On the sugar concerns, use the Whole30 to help you distinguish a craving from hunger. In those situations, ask yourself if you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli. If the answer is yes, and it's between meals, have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Don't feed sugar cravings with fruit. If the answer is no, do something non-food related. Paint your nails, call a friend, do a puzzle, work on a craft, whatever.

I just started today too! I've suffered from chronic migraines my whole life and after a recommendation to go gluten free, I decided to use whole30 as my elimination diet.  A couple weeks ago I sort of weened for 6 days and did okay, YET my birthday was this week and I pretty much almost went back to normal.  i was going to wait until Labor day, but decided to just go.  HI to the above poster, I also LOVE sugar and munching.  It is possible with planning and we can do  it.  My breakfast was peppers, spinach and eggs (cooked in extra virgin olive oil) plus I started the day with a tangelo.  I typically drink an emergenceC in the morning to start my water intake, but i think the citrus punch will do it.

Going shopping today to make some complaint dressings and spices.  

I'm Melissa!

@GFChris - thanks for the advice. I did already decide not to use fruit to assuage my sugar dragon, based on what I read in the Whole 30 materials. And yes I think distracting myself when the cravings hit is the way to go. It is easier when I'm at work because I keep so busy I don't really have time to think about food, except when someone brings in donuts :(  I guess I need to keep just as busy at home. As far as the fat thing goes-- I've always had a hard time eating high-fat food. However, I will do some experimenting to see what I can tolerate better.

@MasBYUGal - I was hoping to meet someone who started the same day as me! Migraines are terrible, my son gets them but only occasionally. For myself, I keep having issues like sciatica, plantar fasciitis, and lower back pain. Then there is acne and feeling chronically tired. I'm also Bipolar II and on a lot of meds. It would be nice if I could manage to back off on the meds a bit and have some energy. I wouldn't be sorry if I lost a little weight either, lol. Btw, I know how it is trying to "wean" off sugar. I've tried it before and I always fall of the wagon, usually because of a special occasion or a bout of depression. I'm really counting on the Whole 30 to break my sugar addiction. Funny that you mention drinking the emergenC in the mornings. I have been in the habit of mixing a 5-hour energy with orange juice every morning to get myself awake. It's been the only way I've been able to stay awake on my long drive to work. I'll have to leave earlier and be prepared to stop and wake myself up until my new-found energy kicks in!

Here's to a rock'n Whole 30!

Caprice

Hello @SewCapricious and @MasBYUGal,

I started on the fifth as well, just late getting here! I'm doing the program with along with my twelve year old daughter. The past three days have given me opportunities to become very aware of some of my eating "habits" and triggers, as opposed to eating to satisfy hunger or a biological need. Very interesting!

I'm so focused on trying to get my daughter through this, I feel as though I don't have much spare time to stress out about myself, which is a welcome distraction.

Here's to an amazing journey!

Jessica

Hey new friends.  We are all starting day 6.  It's weird how in the back of my mind I'm always thinking of planning my next meals.  Yesterday night I dreamt of eating a dum dum sucker and knew it was a dream, then went back to another dream I thought was real and noticed halfway through my handful that I was eating twizzlers.  I was SOOOO mad at myself and the dream was so real.

Yesterday, I did my Tae Kwon Do class and my hot yoga and first time ever, the heat sort of got to me and I was a little queasy. I did  keep up my water, but I think I should have had a snack between activities.  After wards I could tell it was a blood sugar issue and I now know to have something like a fruit or something safe to eat before and after the workout.  I just didn't expect it. I also think I will increase my starches like potatoes, I did have a portion of sweet potato and a half a regular potato yesterday.  

This morning, I'm dragging.  My mind has a list of things to do and it's not happening yet.

Also, I think I slept better last night, but I know for awhile it's been hard to sleep.  Is that whole30 related too?  On the flip side until today, I still have had a lot of energy to get things done.  But mentally I feel tired.

Archived