I can eat pineapple! But why?

darlagiam

Our Whole30 has created a very postiive avalanche.  My husband & I have each lost 20 pounds, feel amazing, sleep soundly and have real energy.  Several friends have looked into this crazy thing we're doing as a result of seeing our results. 

I have a question.

My entire life I've been severely sensitive to citrus.  My fruit intake was limited to apples, bananas and pears.  Boring.  It's not like I'd die if I ate strawberries or pineapple.  I'd just want to.  Crippling and painful mouth sores were always my reward for trying.

About 3 weeks into our Whole30 I really wanted to try Melissa Joulwan's Pina Colada Chicken from WellFed2.  No reaction.  I made it twice in a week.  Nothing . 

Now i'm going completely citrus crazy & am eating oranges, pineapple!!!, plums, peaches...NO REACTION!  

Why is this?  What happened during the Whole30? 

Does anyone know? 

I wish I had an answer for you - I don't.  All I can tell you is that I used to get the same reaction - maybe not as severe - but would eat pineapple anyway (hands down my favourite fruit).

As soon as I go "off plan" by just a little bit - I get the sores back.

I do know that whole 30 will help alleviate allergies in general - so maybe it's one of those things.

• 3 months later...

I don't have an answer either but I have a tingling reaction to many many fruits when I eat them peaches, apples, cherries even raw carrots to name a few. I'm so excited to see if whole30 can help some of my allergies. That alone would be life changing. I start tomorrow!

I don't have an answer either but I have a tingling reaction to many many fruits when I eat them peaches, apples, cherries even raw carrots to name a few. I'm so excited to see if whole30 can help some of my allergies. That alone would be life changing. I start tomorrow!

Lectralove this sounds like what I have.  Its called Oral Allergy Syndrome.  Do you notice you can eat these fruits and veggies when they're cooked? I've been putting baby carrots into boiling water for about 3-4 min, and then into an ice bath to stop the cooking.  No more itchy tingles, and tastes just like raw!

Archived