Here I am Day 1 again.  My first Whole 30 was a definite learning experience, rather rough during that first week since I didn't pay close enough attention to what I was supposed to be eating and set about depriving myself that whole first week.  I did learn some valuable information and discovered tips to make this journey easier and had some serious non-scale victories.  I was doing so well I decided to extend my W30 into a W60, but alas, life happened and I wiped out.  So here I am, in the wrong sort of shape (round) and about 5 lbs heavier than the first time I started W30. (Forced inactivity is a B**TCH)

After some serious down time (and I'll admit it freely, a couple weeks of sulking over circumstances beyond my control), I am prepped up, psyched up, and have determined to GET UP AND DO SOMETHING instead of sitting here waiting for something to happen.  This time I know what I'm in for during this first week, which probably won't make it any easier, but I can at least remind myself, "Oh yeah, timeline!"

I have planned my emergency meals, put my goals on paper, subscribed to the newsletter (although I put tomorrow's date as the start date by accident, but it will work), and have a plan that I tested out to keep me motivated on my elliptical.  I'm rather proud of that last one, actually.  I used to love the ANTM show before it became more about catfights and less about the photo shoots.  So I am streaming season 1 (which I did not see) on my Kindle while I am using the elliptical.  It is the ONLY place I am allowing myself to watch it.  I got so involved yesterday during my "test" run that I exercised away 42 minutes before I knew it.  :D 

My prepping is a little less labor intensive this time.  I have stocked up on frozen veggies (chopped spinach is great for my egg dishes!) and have a supply of coconut everything.  I have places to be this upcoming holiday season and I am NOT setting myself up to be self conscious over the way I look.  I WILL enjoy the fruits of my labor and bask in the warmth of my own regard and the admiration of my husband as I calmly walk past the cookie table and enjoy the company instead.

Day 1 accomplished fairly well.  Got in my 42 minutes on the elliptical, with some added wall push-ups and lunges.  :)  Experienced a draggy headache that I was hoping to miss this time around, but nothing serious.

M1: 2 fried eggs, sautéed green bean, wax bean, & carrot mix with shaved almonds

M2: Chicken/apple sausage link with spinach, butternut squash, onion, and red pepper

PWO: Fried egg

M3: Chicken/apple sausage link with yellow squash, cauliflower, carrot, & red pepper

Chai tea w/coconut milk

Day 2 done :)

M1: Chicken/apple sausage w/baby carrot

M2: coconut water, smoked chicken, carrots, cashews

M3: salad w/lemon, baked sweet potato, 1/2 steak

Sunday is my "recovery" day from regular exercise, so got casual exercise running errands and got a good long walk in the dog.

Day 3 almost in the bag!  Got back on the elliptical with no whining today, somewhat surprised myself.  Forgot to turn on the monitor for the first couple minutes, but after I saw and turned it on, I put in a full 40 minutes for 1643.  It was another full episode, so I'm thinking it was actually 42 or 43 minutes.  Followed by my cooldown of wall pushups, lunges, and walking it down.

M1:  1/2 steak, sm. banana

M2: sausage with greens, cauliflower, carrots, and snow peas.

PWO: cashews.   (I know, not the right pwo meal but better than nothing)

M3: currently in progress - will be smoked chicken, with vegetable blend.

Day 4 has been a battle but I emerged victorious!  I am bouncing around the timeline today.  Started off with brain fog and fatigue, finally talked myself into getting up and moving - managed a full session on the elliptical, 43 minutes for 1740 which is actually a little faster than yesterday.  Stuck with my active cooldown and felt better after exercising.  Then the craving train hit me from behind, spent the rest of the day fighting that battle, but held fast. 

M1: 2 eggs scrambled with chopped spinach, mushrooms, and onions, coffee with coconut milk

M2: smoked chicken soup, wild blueberries

M3: pot roast with parsnips, carrots, onions, potatoes, small banana

Chai tea with coconut milk

Goodnight Day 5! It was a good day today. :)  Got my exercise done with no problem, picked up the pace a little without even noticing.  42 minutes for 1840 (revolutions).  Followed up with my set of wall pushups and lunges, then stretched and walked out the cool down.

M1: 2 eggs, spinach, mushroom, onion

PWO: fried egg, chai tea with coconut milk

M2: 2 eggs, spinach, mushroom, onion. 1/2 c wild blueberries

M3: Pot Roast, parsnips, carrots, potato, onions.

Day 6 taught me another lesson.  Do NOT skip the PWO!!  I was hungry and tired during the whole session and weak and shaky when I got off the elliptical.  I did make my 42 min for 1740 but it was a struggle.  I completed my wpu and lunges, then walked it down.  Added in some toning exercises this afternoon, will attempt to keep rotating 3 sets of exercises to keep me active the 2nd part of the day.

M1: 2 eggs, banana/blueberry "mash"

M2: beef vegetable soup made from leftover pot roast, veggies, broth, and mushrooms, blueberries, coffee with coconut milk.

Snack: macadamia nuts (I need to cut down on the nuts, I know)

M3: 1/2 steak, salad with vinaigrette and pepitas, sautéed green beans with onions and sliced almonds

Day 7, feeling pretty good tonight. :)  Tried something new, ended up with an excellent batch of sausage stuffed acorn squash. Tasty!

Behaved myself today, stayed away from the nuts and got the fruit cut back to one meal.  Ate my PWO like I am supposed to and exercise was ever so much nicer.  Had 43 minutes on the elliptical for 1760.  Not my top pace, but not my slowest either.  Keeping my heart rate in the "fat burning" range, rather than the cardio pumping stage, but I expect the pace will pick up next week to keep me there.  Finished up with my working cool down of wpu and lunges, then the walk down.  Got in my posterior exercises today, too.

M1: 2 eggs, spinach, sweet red pepper, garlic

PWO: fried egg, coffee with coconut milk

M2: steak, fried green beans with onions, sliced almond.  banana/blueberry "mash"

M3: sausage stuffed acorn squash

I have had a good day today.  Even with a lack of sleep last night (my dear husband was not sleeping peacefully), I am feeling energized today. :)  Plus, I've noticed the sleep I am getting is much more peaceful and sound than previously.  And, after testing leftovers today, I have decided that I definitely prefer the green acorn squash over the white.  I don't know if it just absorbed more flavor from the sausage/veg filling or if the flesh does have better flavor.  The white is very mild, it was ok, but the green is GOOD.

Exercise was good today, got going on the elliptical and got 45 min in for 1980!  I'm almost to the 2000 rev mark. :)  Finished with my set of wpu, lunges, and walk down for cooling.

M1: 2 eggs, banana, baby carrots, coffee with coconut milk.

PWO: fried egg, chai tea with coconut milk

M2: sausage/veg stuffed white acorn squash

M3: sausage/veg stuffed green acorn squash

Day 9 was a beautiful day.  Since it is Sunday, no formal exercise scheduled but I got more exercise than if I had.  We went up to Palisades Park, Devil's Gulch, and Split Rock Park and climbed all over the rocks and walking up river trails taking pictures.  Was totally compliant in food choices, if a bit off on when I ate them. :)

M1: 2 scrambled eggs with sausage, onion, bell pepper, coffee with coconut milk

M2: Coconut water, cashew/pistachio pack

M3: Ribeye, steamed broccoli, baked sweet potato

Day 10! Although I was tired today (lack of sleep because I stayed up WAY too late editing photos), I did get in my exercise.  A little slower than I have been the last couple of days, but still made the 42 minutes for 1840.  (shorter episode, lol)  And, the day was successful, because I did stay compliant and did not suffer the monster cravings for sweets and/or salty snacks that usually occur when I haven't had enough sleep.  In fact, I didn't even think about it until just now.  Wow. :)

M1: 2 eggs scrambled with spinach, mushroom, & onion.  Coffee with coconut milk.

PWO: Fried egg, iced coffee with coconut milk.

M2: 2 eggs with spinach, mushroom, & onion, roasted sweet potato sticks

M3: Salad w/lemon, baked sweet potato, ribeye

I need to get over drinking coffee just so it won't be "wasted."  It's a bad habit I had to break with food as well.  It is NOT better for me to eat it just because it is there.  The way to deal with unwanted/excess food is to put it in a container in the fridge or freezer.  Or just not make so much.  :) I am not a garbage disposal.

Day 11 - Not entirely happy with my food choices today.  Technically, all foods were W30 compliant, but not in the spirit of W30 as I over ate fruit and had a snack in the afternoon.  Got up groggy this morning, not meeting my goal of getting to sleep on time.  I really need to watch my caffeine intake when we go out to dinner.  2 glasses of ice tea equals me being awake until nearly midnight.

Exercise was accomplished today.  42 minutes on the elliptical for 1865 revs.  Wall push ups, lunges, overhead strethes, and walking cool down.

M1: 2 eggs with spinach, kale, mushrooms, and onions, coffee with coconut milk

PWO: fried egg

M2: 2 eggs with red pepper, chopped spinach/arugula, and kale.  Spicy plantain chips, black grapes

Snack: banana, black grapes

M3: Beef mushroom soup, spicy plantain chips

I really think the plantain is a bad idea for me.  It did not taste at all like a chip and was meant to add texture into the meal but seemed to lead to more snacking urges.  Too close to being a real chip.

Day 12 - much better today.  Got up feeling sleepy and wanted to go back to bed but perservered.  After eating M1 I was totally energized and feeling excellent.  Stayed energized througout the day, amazing!

Exercise was a bit of a challenge, got right on and got going but about 5 minutes before my time was up my poor elliptical developed an issue that has to be fixed, so will be taking it apart and greasing it up again.  Also forgot to turn on display when I started, but recorded 40 min for 1765.

M1: 2 eggs scrambled with chopped spinach, kale, mushroom, and onion.  Coffee

M2: 2 eggs with chopped veggies, baked sweet potato wedges

M3: Crockpot chicken, parsnips, carrots, onions

Stayed off fruit entirely today and it seemed to go well.  I will try it with one meal tomorrow and see what happens.

Day 13;  Still fighting some cravings brought on by that extra fruit, but they are dying down.  Distraction, distraction, distraction.  Got my elliptical regreased this morning and moved right along, 43 minutes for 2045 revs.  I'm hoping to be able to add more resistance in soon and still maintain my target heart rate for fat burning.  Also ordered myself a new fitness tracker that has an auto alert to remind to get up and move every hour if I have not done so.  It should be here Monday.  Tried the hula hoop, was hilarious but not very successful.  Completed 40 wall push ups before I realized what I was doing, finished off with my lunges, stretches, and walking cooldown.

M1: 2 eggs, baby carrots, banana

M2: 2 eggs fried into "haystacks" of sweet potato hash

M3: Baked acorn squash filled with chicken broth, chicken, chopped kale, chopped onions, carrots

Day 14 and I'm feeling pretty good about things tonight.  I SO enjoy being able to sleep soundly and peacefully and being able to taste the marvelous flavors in real food that I was missing when my palate was deadened with sugar and additives.  I rediscovering the love of squash that I had as a child.  Today I felt so good that I did two sessions on the elliptical. 43 minutes for 2040 and this evening 42 minutes for 2003.  Did my usual wall push ups and lunges in the am, plus "lunge walked" my cooldown.  This evening I cooled down by cleaning the house and cooking dinner for my poor overworked husband. :) 

My yoga ball (gym ball? balance ball?) showed up today along with "Pilates on the Ball" DVD, am planning on switching up some short evening workouts to help the toning and flexibility I currently do not have.  Get up and MOVE. :)

M1: small stuffed acorn squash, fried egg

M2: small stuffed acorn squash, poached egg, banana

M3: stuffed acorn squash, Italian veg mix

I have the feeling I'm really over doing the starchy veg with all this squash, but turns out husband doesn't care much for it so I ended up with a lot of leftovers.  One more meal to finish it off.  I could eat it for days, the flavor is so good.

Day 15, halfway there!  I am in planning mode.  I don't want to be caught unprepared when the official program is over and I start reintroduction.  I am questioning, planning, thinking - all good things. :)  I am prepared for this week, making chili tomorrow and have everything for seafood creole.  Plus some chicken in the freezer for a perfect sear in case we want something else to eat.  Celebrated today with new yoga pants and an immersion blender.  :)

M1: stuffed acorn squash, coffee

M2: Leftover crockpot chicken and veggies

M3: Chicken veg soup, mashed banana coconut flakes and raw cocoa nibs.

Feeling strong today.  It is very comforting to have set goals and a plan in place to both meet them and deal with any unexpected circumstance.

Day 16 - think I got kicked in the head by something.  Day started off pretty good.  Felt good when I got up, slept well had energy.  Forgot it was Sunday and supposed to be my recovery day until I was already on elliptical, so went ahead and finished up, just took it easy.  42 minutes for 1960.  Walked for cooldown.  For some reason became ravenously hungry in the afternoon, started to eat a banana, after too bites was too full.  Weird.  Fullness and not feeling well in the evening, unable to eat dinner.  Got up in the middle of the night to take prescription migraine meds.  Haven't had to do that in awhile.

M1: 2 eggs scrambled with onion, kale, mushroom

M2: 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash garnished with toasted coconut and cocoa nibs

M3: banana (would have called it a snack, but never made it to another meal)

LaCroix grapefruit (hoping it would make tummy feel better-nope)

The only thing I had different from usual was a LaCroix grapefruit.  I know I have issues with grapefruit but thought I might be able to get away with the water since it was not the actual fruit, just fruit essence.  Apparently not.

Day 17 - did not make it to any exercise today.  Barely made it from the couch to the kitchen.  Thank God for crockpots.  Head still feels like it's in a vise, hope for better things tomorrow.

M1: NY Strip, raw carrots

M2: Beef stock stew

M3: Chocolate chili

Finally feeling better today, getting used to my Vivosmart, first day using it.  It does indeed remind me insistently to get up and move if an hour has gone by and I haven't been active.  Made my elliptical session today, 43 min for 2069 revs.  Followed by the usual wpu and lunge walk cooldown.

M1: 2 eggs, mushroom, onion, peppers

M2: chocolate chili, banana

M3: chocolate chili, zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, red onion

Day 19 and I am on it!  Love this energy and re-discovered flavors in food. :)  Had a good day today, eye appointment went well, washed the truck, got the shopping done, took the dog out for socializing and still got my exercise when I got back home.  Today's elliptical was 43 minutes for 2008 revs.  I'm a little slower when I exercise in the afternoons.

M1: 3 eggs, onions, red peppers, mushrooms, coffee with coconut milk

M2: Chocolate chili

M3: Chocolate chili, sugar snap peas, pomegranate arils

Day 20 :)  Struggling with weather related headaches, but hanging in.  They didn't start until this evening, so I got my elliptical in and even walked up to the store (a whopping 1 mile round trip, lol).  Elliptical was for 43 min, 2045 revs.  Energy/mood stable, did notice craving for snacks when I was in the store, but believe it is just habit.  Although I was craving a snack, nothing in the store looked good so it was easy to leave it all there and just get what I went in for.

M1: 3 eggs, onions, mushrooms, peppers

PWO: A couple bits of chocolate chili

M2: Aidell's chicken and apple sausage link, sugar snap peas, wholly guacamole & spicy pico

M3: Pot roast with root vegetables

Day 21! :)  Good exercise today - 45 minutes for 2143 revs.  Had a little technical difficulty with my kindle and picked up a couple extra minutes.  Vivosmart battery ran out shortly after lunch so have no idea what my total steps ended up being, but by lunchtime I was somewhere around 4900 or so.

Ate out twice today and was completely compliant both times, in fact dinner was great and turned out to be fairly low cal - how does that even happen??

M1: Chocolate chili, coffee with coconut milk

M2: 6 oz sirloin w/grilled avocado, steamed broccoli, garlic roasted tomatoes

M3: Hamburger patty w/avocado, tomato slice, onions, lettuce. Sweet potato fries. (sliced and cooked in olive oil by the chef!)

Day 22 - feel like I ate too much tonight, suddenly sleepy from being full.  Trying day dealing with cravings to snack.  The siren call of breads, chips, and anything crunchy ringing in my head today.  Extinction burst? I hope so.  Hope I am not developing what I used to call "hibernation complex" due to the change in weather.  Whatever, it is temporary, I will beat it.  Exercise was good today - got in 45 minutes for 2142 revs, wpu, and walked cool down.

M1: 3 eggs, mushroom, onion, kale

M2: chicken apple sausage link, sugar snap peas, blackberries

M3: pot roast with root vegetables, bone broth, banana

Day 23!  I think I probably overdid it on the food today, at least for weight loss purposes.  Still within the template, but definitely closer to the top than the bottom.  Remembered it was Sunday today, so took the day off from the elliptical. :)  Got in plenty of walking, though.  We went out to the State Forest on a picture taking foray, met my goal and then some on the fitness tracker.

M1: 2 eggs, banana, coconut flakes, cocoa nibs, chopped pecans, baby carrots

M2: smoked chicken quarter and a half, sweet potato fries

M3: chicken/avocado spinach salad with sun dried tomatoes

Day 24.  Started off tired today after spending the night on the couch.  By the time I got around to getting to bed last night, dear husband had rolled diagonally across, leaving no room.  Didn't have the heart to wake the poor man, so I couched it.  Took a nap this morning, caught 2nd wind about 8am and made my exercise work - elliptical today 45 min for 2166.  I'm thinking I can up that resistance soon. :)  The usual wpu and walking cooldown.  Got my "chores" done this afternoon, detailed the kitchen instead of a bathroom, I'd been cooking and it needed it more.

M1: Bone broth with pot roast and root veg

PWO: Fried egg

M2: Leftover bone broth, chopped spinach, 2 eggs

M3: Chicken apple sausage link, celery, onion, mushroom, carrots, potatoes

Archived