Round 3 with Worse Nightmares

Hondeez

Hi Everyone!

This is my 3rd W30 this year and I have noticed that every time I start it around day 4 I start to have horrible nightmares 3-4 times a night for a week. I am on day 7 of round 3 and it hasn't gotten any better. I try to not stress but it makes my sleeping patterns even worse. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nothing really has changed besides I try to go to bed around 10:30 instead of midnight. I eat at the same time pretty much every time. When Im off whole30 I hardly really eat because I have an IBD so it kills my appetite and food just over all doesn't sit well with me so it could be that I am eating more. 

• Moderators

Nothing really has changed besides I try to go to bed around 10:30 instead of midnight. I eat at the same time pretty much every time. When Im off whole30 I hardly really eat because I have an IBD so it kills my appetite and food just over all doesn't sit well with me so it could be that I am eating more. 

Wait, so when you do a Whole30, you're eating 3 meals a day to the template  but when you're not on a Whole30, you hardly eat?  

I would be more concerned with your lack of nutrition during your non whole 30 times than getting nightmares (which is likely from your hormones trying to readjust).

I have Ulcerative Colitis so like I posted above, foods do not agree with me. When I am on whole30 I try to eat 3 meals a day, whether they following the whole30 template completely or they don't. The first time I did it I really struggled to hold food down. As for the nutrition I deal with that differently off of whole30. 

• Moderators

I have Ulcerative Colitis so like I posted above, foods do not agree with me. When I am on whole30 I try to eat 3 meals a day, whether they following the whole30 template completely or they don't. The first time I did it I really struggled to hold food down. As for the nutrition I deal with that differently off of whole30. 

as long as you're eating compliant food, your meals don't need to be template exact and you're still doing a Whole30. If you're not able to eat enough to sustain yourself at only 3 meals a day, eat 5 or 6 meals with each of the three macros (protein, veg, fat) and see how that does.  As you said, when you're not on Whole30, you don't eat this way, but maybe finding a way (smaller meals more often) to eat a healthier diet all the time would be something you may learn from this experience. Then you don't need to deal with nutrition differently (what does that look like?)when you're off the plan.

I do stick to compliant foods. I don't break, even on my worse days when I cant hold food down and I just want to grab a pedialyte and drink that. I tried the smaller meals my first round but it doesn't work. I get full really fast and if I add food on top of that its going to be a rough night or couple days for me. When I am off I eat what I can but try to get the calories I need when I am in a flare. When a flare is really bad I don't eat. But when I can eat its mainly baby food, soups, Ensures and soft foods. Its a roller coaster with foods because 1 day something will sit well with me and then the next day it doesn't agree with me. So anything raw, hard to process or anything with too much fiber ruins me. Its something I am still learning to deal with so that's why I chose whole30, to see if I can help to control my flares alongside my medications. 

• Moderators

I tried the smaller meals my first round but it doesn't work. I get full really fast and if I add food on top of that its going to be a rough night or couple days for me. 

So eating more frequent but smaller meals doesn't work?  I understand that you wouldn't feel full for terribly long on a smaller meal (but probably feel stuffed at the time of eating), but if you can eat again in a couple hours, does that help?  Definitely not suggesting that you eat past feeling full or comfortable... more that you split up a day's worth of eating into more manageable portions throughout the day.

You may consider helping to heal your gut by doing a longer Whole30 (maybe 60 days) to see if that helps give your gut a chance to heal more... sometimes 30 days is not enough to heal long standing problems or a very damaged gut lining. As well, if you can give yourself a longer chance to heal before going back to Pedialyte and ensure, then maybe you'll start to find a pattern of things that cause a flare and things that help with it.

I do feel full for a long time. I can eat 2 scrambled eggs with veggies, and a little bit of avocado at 10 and that will keep me full until about dinner time. I try to squeeze in a salad for lunch but sometimes its too much. When I did the smaller meals I get very uncomfortable. 

I am actually do that this time around! I cant eat a lot of the whole30 meals that most people make so I stick to the foods that have made me feel ok and I am going to continue until the end of the year. All 4 of my doctors are aware and just tell me to keep taking my medications and to monitor my weight because I have a higher chance of being hospitalized for complications such as blockages, a flare from too much of one thing or even going into another flare from some of the foods. 

just wanted to say, as a sufferer of crohns disease myself, to hang in there! good for you trying to eat 3 meals a day. I dont think the nightmares are related to what youre eating, perhaps subconsciously you are fearful of something and thats related to the whole30. care to comment on the contents of the nightmares? I'm not a dream-reader but I think dreams have significance especially when there is a theme in a dream that can be related to something youre facing in the present.

As for the wanting to skip meals and drink your food, I feel ya. Drink coconut water to get extra electrolytes since you cant have your pedialyrtes. UC = diarrhea = dehydration and loss of electrolytes, so make sure you replenish those. When I was very sick, docs wanted me to replace all my water with something with electrolytes in em, and Coconut water is a great compliant source of potassium and other lytes.

And yes take your meds. We need our meds or else we will not be so happy. what do you take? maybe you should up the dose if you  cant eat ?

Thank you for the coconut water too Erica! I'll try that now! I drink a lot of kombucha too because it helps to settle my stomach. It's such a hassle trying to eat the 3 meals but I'll do my best.

My nightmares change a lot but when I'm on whole30 they are normally the world ending, I can't save my family or having them together and I relive each of my dogs deaths or the ones I have die. It's about 3-4 times a night so having to deal with it is driving me insane!

As for my medications I am on prednisone, asacol, humira and another one that I can't remember that treats malaria but it helps with my arthritis pains.

Eesh well that sounds like pred to me honestly lol. The food changes are probably affecting the degree to which you have them. But they sound like prednisone dreams which I never liked.

Have u done levels for humira and how much are you taking? Is it working?

I feel like you should have more of an appetite. Do you live in a MMJ state?

Im tapering off and Im at 10 mg so that could be it. When I was on 40 I was hardly sleeping so I had to be prescribed ambian. 

What do you mean levels for humira? I take 40 mg every other week. I have seen huge improvements on it! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work this whole time. 

I thought I would too but nope, after a small snack or meal I have that bloating painful stomach ache. But that could also be because I am a little constipated from pain killers that I started taking once it got colder. I do. I have some edibles that help a lot but arent whole30. I also have CBD oil and MJ without thc. 

Archived