November 2015 reintros

JenHZ

Hello everyone.  Today is my W31, and we decided to reintroduce dairy first.  For breakfast, I had half and half in my coffee and plain yogurt with fruit.  Before, I could eat breakfast around 7:30am or 8:00am and be fine until lunch, not needing to eat until 12:30pm or 1:00pm.  Not today - my stomach was growling at 10:00am!!!  And gurgling.  Lots of burps. Ugh.

For lunch, I had a burger with cheese, Whole30 ketchup, and compliant mustard.  Plus a side salad with white balsamic and olive oil.  My salad was the best part!  I felt very "eh" about my burger, like I could take it or leave it.  I actually like my burgers better without cheese now.

So far, I would say that I can live with just a splash of cream in my coffee and happily limit other dairy.

Tonight's dinner is zoodles and venison sausage with provolone, topped with Parmesan.  We'll see how it goes!

I am looking forward (sort of) to dairy extravaganza this weekend, but I have a feeling my palate has changed and the size effects are going to be too much except for maybe hard cheeses...

but I've been out every day this week because we are in recruiting season, and it's surprisingly easy (most of the time) to stay complaint. And two nights this week already I have passed up what would normally have been ultimate food with no brakes for me - freshly baked homemade cream biscuits with fresh butter on the side at this great foodie place. I want them, but the want is getting lower each time  ;-)

plan for dairy trial tomorrow

plain organic full fat yogurt with M1

Sour cream and butter on baked potato with M2

Whole Milk Latte with M3 if I can otherwise 2%

Cheese with M4

dairy is one I am really wondering about.  It is great for my mom and less so for my dad so it's an interesting question of genetics

Last night I did end up eating onions cooked in peanut oil which I hope wont' really throw things off for me.  Had to pay a condolence call and traffic was much worse than I anticipated and I got lost too so I did not have time to stop where I planned on way up and was too hungry to drive back without food.  I had already eaten my lara bar on the way up so I just stopped at the first place I saw on the way back, a 5 Guys burger place - all peanut oil. 

Hi everyone. I am on day 3 of reintroduction. I started with legumes and had no issues, can I keep them in my diet now? For example, tomorrow, day 4, can I introduce corn in the form of corn chips and dip them in hummus? 

No.

When doing reintroductions, the protocol is that once you reintroduce a food group, you don't have it again until all your reintroductions are complete.

So hold off on the hummus for now - have the corn chips on their own or use guacamole or compliant salsa for dipping instead.

So far so good with dairy.

yogurt was find though I couldn't find organic.  Dannon is just milk and active cultures.

Butter and sour cream were fine.

Even latte was fine, though again I couldn't get organic.  I really thought all the liquid plus coffee plus a bit of added stress would go straight to my guts but it did not.

1 ounce (30 g) cheese in 3 scrambled eggs feels fine inside but was incredibly rich when I ate it.  really too rich but I figure if I ate cheese at a party I would probably have an ounce.

will report how I feel in the morning

So far so good with dairy.

yogurt was find though I couldn't find organic.  Dannon is just milk and active cultures.

Butter and sour cream were fine.

Even latte was fine, though again I couldn't get organic.  I really thought all the liquid plus coffee plus a bit of added stress would go straight to my guts but it did not.

1 ounce (30 g) cheese in 3 scrambled eggs feels fine inside but was incredibly rich when I ate it.  really too rich but I figure if I ate cheese at a party I would probably have an ounce.

will report how I feel in the morning

want to hear how it feels next day, but that's great that you had no emergencies! Dairy is in basically everything when you are out.

I had ice cream last night and the mixing of a lot of sugar plus a lot of milk, cream, whey makes it hard to tell what the culprit is, so I am doing no sugar added whole yogurt (found grass fed on sale, wow!), and hard cheese today. I will admit that I really enjoyed eating the ice cream, especially at first. I ate too much, mostly so I would have that gross feeling and not want any more. I woke up feeling a little hung over (I expect that is mostly the sugar talking), sluggish, congested, eyes bloodshot and kind of gunky, sore body parts in ways I haven't felt in weeks. Noticeable, definitely. I was a little gassy and stinky and tummy rumbly last night, but I didn't get ill or anything. Good to know. Will report back on the less sugary dairy too.  Hang in there all! 

ps. eating yogurt now and stomach already rumbling. Headache still hanging around.

burgards sorry for the rumbles but we do want to know don't we?

still fine but when I woke up this morning I was a bit congested.  But spouse  got a cold so I might have that.  even if it was dairy it would be a small price to pay for a bit of fine cheese now and then.

burgards sorry for the rumbles but we do want to know don't we?

still fine but when I woke up this morning I was a bit congested.  But spouse  got a cold so I might have that.  even if it was dairy it would be a small price to pay for a bit of fine cheese now and then.

Glad you have had minimal effects, JenHZ. I think because I really went for it (lots of ice cream, which I would never normally do, followed by yogurt, which I had my suspicions about already) I have had a rather unpleasant day and have been exceptionally glad I had a bathroom a few feet away. Now I know! Good to really know, yes  (:

burgards sometimes learning isn't' much fun but I hope you can focus on all the days you won't unexpectedly find yourself tied to the throne.

going to try gluten tomorrow, last official reintro but I will certainly post 2days beyond that as that's part of the  protocol too. 

I think I will start a post W30 log after that but anyone will be welcome to post or comment on it.

Gluten plan

M1 whole grain cereal ( Kashi 7 grain puffs)  I did test one between my teeth today to see if  they were stale, seemed ok but I spit it out.  will have with compliant almond milk, Eggs scrambled with spinach, Orange

M2 Whole grain crusty bread, Baked fish with tomato sauce, Ghee, Orange raisin salad with nutmeg, Cauliflower

post workout meal Sweet potato, protein

M3 Wheat crackers, Soup

M4 Beer, Poached salmon with dill sauce (W30 book), Baked squash, Asparagus with lemon

Well...reintroductions have been bizarre for me, and sadly I haven't learned as much as I might wish, mainly because after about 5 days of shooting stomach pain and bathroom issues, I realized I had a stomach virus -- so all my reactions during reintroduction were in all likelihood due to a stomach bug. This was proven out when I went back to clean eating for several days, and then tried reintroductions of dairy, gluten and non-gluten grains again, with some very small reactions but nothing like what had happened the prior week.

Dairy definitely presents some issues for me, but since it's a great source of protein that we'll probably continue to use in my household, I've begun doing Chris Kessler's method of "curing" lactose intolerance, which consists of taking very high-quality probiotics AND eating some high quality yogurt every day. That's been sitting really well with me, so I think I'm going to continue that.

That being true, I think it's still pretty clear to me that I just feel better when I "eat clean," so I think that's what I want to do in general, with some allowances for occasional gluten products (definitely baking a Thanksgiving pie and making some actual stuffing),a bit of dairy here and there and some sweets or chocolate now and again. And I'm adding back alcohol in cooking, which has no adverse effects at this point -- and will probably have a drink or two over the holidays. I'm not that attached to legumes, although I think my husband will want to go back to peanut butter eventually. I still love sweets and chocolate, but I'm finding that the cravings are pretty minimal, and that (UNBELIEVABLE) I don't need or reach for chocolate every day, just once in a while. I think the great comfort is knowing that we have the tool of the Whole30 -- and we know how to eat this way and enjoy it.

Progress, not perfection...

Jeweliana great plan.  Good it was flu and not lots of reactions and that you got to try again with the reintros.

I have pretty similar goals.

Gluten went fine except I snored when I went to bed.  I think that was the alcohol not the gluten in the beer.

I did wake up a couple times during the night with anxiety so I will keep an eye on that.  But spouse has a cold so was sleeping on couch so that may just have been being alone in the bed.

I am very lucky where we go for Thanksgiving is with a very whole foods group, one of whom is gluten free.  Only real bumps are some dairy, plentiful availability of alcohol, and my specialty to take is toffee! We will make sure there are plain nuts and W30 compliant cold cuts along with our cheese platter.  I found a recipe link on here(Tiger tots) so we can modify our sweet potato gratin to W30 instead of heavy cream.

Hi everyone! My new Day 30 will be Monday, 11/23 (I had to start over at day 23 when I realized my vitamin D supplement had soybean and corn oil in it... so not officially going to be a Whole53 but mentally that's what it's been!)

Since I want to be able to have at least one non-compliant food group on Thanksgiving I'll probably stay whole30 on Tues and Wed. and then try one food group on Thanksgiving. I know they recommend introducing gluten last because it's the most likely to cause problems but it feels like I'll be the least restricted on Thanksgiving if I try gluten that day (stuffing, pie crust). Then maybe I'll go back to whole30 for a few days and run through the rest of the reintro schedule in the recommended order ... except I have my 15-year HS reunion the day after Thanksgiving and really think I need a glass or two of wine or booze to get through that!!! Do you think I'm killing my chances of an informative reintro if it looks something like this?

• Thurs (Thanksgiving): introduce gluten, everything else whole30 (except some added sugars though I'll take it easy on the pie, offer to make the sweet potatoes myself so there's no added sugar, etc.)
  • Friday: all whole30 except a couple non-beer drinks at the HS reunion
  • Sat - however long it needs to be: back to whole30 and then follow a normal re-intro schedule (legumes, non-gluten grains, dairy, and then maybe gluten again -- with 2 or more days of strict whole30 in between and minimizing added sugars on the days I'm testing a food group)

What do you guys think?

I'm really nervous about reintro! I haven't felt the "Tiger Blood" the way I hoped I would but I'm in grad school and in a period of particular stress and poor sleeping (one all-nighter last week, 2 nights of 2 hrs sleep this week, for example) - so I feel like I'm not giving my body the opportunity to feel really great. I'd hoped Whole30 might help my mood, energy, IBS, and chronic ideopathic hives but unfortunately I can't say that any of those have improved... but again, it could be my stress and poor sleep. I guess I am just nervous that if a food group irritates me I won't pick up on the symptoms since I haven't had an amazing energy / relief of IBS, hives, mood issues / Tiger Blood period to contrast to.

Sorry Risa I dont' have any real advice on how long  you need to be back to clean to do a good reintro.  The medical standard for intolerances is 30 days clean eating before trying suspect foods but I haven't read any studies on how they figured that out.

I do have a cold so I am going to assume gluten is "OK" too. 

I am glad I didn't find any major intolerances as my kid has an anaphylactic food allergy (mustard) and that is plenty to deal with when eating out.  I will just ask for obvious omissions and substitutions and not get into complicated questions about cooking oils.

I'll add a link here when I get my post w30 log going.

Sorry Risa I dont' have any real advice on how long  you need to be back to clean to do a good reintro.  The medical standard for intolerances is 30 days clean eating before trying suspect foods but I haven't read any studies on how they figured that out.

I do have a cold so I am going to assume gluten is "OK" too. 

I am glad I didn't find any major intolerances as my kid has an anaphylactic food allergy (mustard) and that is plenty to deal with when eating out.  I will just ask for obvious omissions and substitutions and not get into complicated questions about cooking oils.

I'll add a link here when I get my post w30 log going.

so glad to hear that your gluten trial was probably a success JenHZ, but sorry to hear that you have a cold. Those suck no matter how well you are eating. I am looking forward to your post-30 log.

I'm going to be going to try gluten this weekend. Hopefully a less unpleasant experience than dairy last weekend.

Unrelated, but related: I had so very bad news about a childhood / school friend who died Monday. I think that it's a testament to eating better that I am handling it much better than I would have in the past, when I would have turned to food to cope with the stress of it, and the wrong food, and would have felt physically and emotionally much worse. Now I am having to just face it, and be with it. And I think ti's probably going to be a more thoughtful and better way of dealing with a very awful, inexplicable loss. I can focus on her family, not on myself.

Burgards, I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with Jen -- feeling our feelings is the way to go.

Somehow, good news or bad, I feel so much more "centered" when I eat mainly in the direction of the W30 template. I wonder if that's true for others too. I know people report feeling happier overall, and a noticeable decrease in tendency toward depression. My husband, of course, says that a lack of cheese causes him depression, so the W30 doesn't work that way for him, ha ha.

I've been doing better with dairy, building up my ability to digest lactose with an excellent probiotic supplement and live culture yogurt with no stabilizers or other crapola in it. Gluten, however, is another story. I had a day the other day which could have been called "salute to gluten" what with a delicious melted cheese/fried chicken breast sandwich on sourdough for lunch (from this place called "Melt,"). Then that same night I was invited to a hosted dinner at an Italian restaurant, everything served family style, fried zucchini and calamari, salad with croutons, bruschetta/pizza appetizers, and then pastas of all kinds plus chicken and eggplant parmigiana. I gave myself a holiday and ate all of it, no holds barred. I went home and had a belly-ache, and after a not-so-great night, woke up the next morning with spotty skin, circles under my eyes and a few days worth of tummy issues and other aches and pains, even random things like numbness in my hands (which had gone away during Whole30, and apparently can be a symptom of gluten sensitivity).

It also makes me feel better to read that clip about how Melissa Hartwig did a lot of experimentation and several Whole30s and reintroductions before she came to her current comfort level http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-2/, http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-3/, which for her is basically eating the Whole30 template with some heavy cream in her coffee in the a.m., buttered popcorn and other forms of corn, some white rice on occasion, and once in a while, a Cadbury Creme Egg (hah!). Crafting the way to eat that makes me feel my best and helps me to enjoy food and enjoy life is going to be a work in progress for a while, and I need to relax into that and not feel my own insistence on figuring out the perfect template for myself RIGHT NOW.

I'm bringing some good things down to Baltimore my husband's family for Thanksgiving, but I don't really have any qualms about the meal. I know that the whole thing is going to be really excessive (the menu has been shared, and it apparently includes turkey, ham, meatballs, chicken, mac & cheese, pasta salad, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes w/marshmallows (ick), cookies, cupcakes, brownies, sweet potato pie, etc. It sounds nightmarish, and like a huge imbalance of grainy, sugary carbs to everything else. I'm bringing a spinach dish, homemade cranberry sauce with clementines and maple sugar, and a grain-free apple crisp. So I'll cobble together a meal with protein and some safer choices, probably, and be perfectly happy with that.

Hoping you all have a gorgeous holiday in your own particular way, "riding your own bike"...

Burgards, I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with Jen -- feeling our feelings is the way to go.

Somehow, good news or bad, I feel so much more "centered" when I eat mainly in the direction of the W30 template. I wonder if that's true for others too. I know people report feeling happier overall, and a noticeable decrease in tendency toward depression. My husband, of course, says that a lack of cheese causes him depression, so the W30 doesn't work that way for him, ha ha.

I've been doing better with dairy, building up my ability to digest lactose with an excellent probiotic supplement and live culture yogurt with no stabilizers or other crapola in it. Gluten, however, is another story. I had a day the other day which could have been called "salute to gluten" what with a delicious melted cheese/fried chicken breast sandwich on sourdough for lunch (from this place called "Melt,"). Then that same night I was invited to a hosted dinner at an Italian restaurant, everything served family style, fried zucchini and calamari, salad with croutons, bruschetta/pizza appetizers, and then pastas of all kinds plus chicken and eggplant parmigiana. I gave myself a holiday and ate all of it, no holds barred. I went home and had a belly-ache, and after a not-so-great night, woke up the next morning with spotty skin, circles under my eyes and a few days worth of tummy issues and other aches and pains, even random things like numbness in my hands (which had gone away during Whole30, and apparently can be a symptom of gluten sensitivity).

It also makes me feel better to read that clip about how Melissa Hartwig did a lot of experimentation and several Whole30s and reintroductions before she came to her current comfort level http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-2/, http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-3/, which for her is basically eating the Whole30 template with some heavy cream in her coffee in the a.m., buttered popcorn and other forms of corn, some white rice on occasion, and once in a while, a Cadbury Creme Egg (hah!). Crafting the way to eat that makes me feel my best and helps me to enjoy food and enjoy life is going to be a work in progress for a while, and I need to relax into that and not feel my own insistence on figuring out the perfect template for myself RIGHT NOW.

I'm bringing some good things down to Baltimore my husband's family for Thanksgiving, but I don't really have any qualms about the meal. I know that the whole thing is going to be really excessive (the menu has been shared, and it apparently includes turkey, ham, meatballs, chicken, mac & cheese, pasta salad, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes w/marshmallows (ick), cookies, cupcakes, brownies, sweet potato pie, etc. It sounds nightmarish, and like a huge imbalance of grainy, sugary carbs to everything else. I'm bringing a spinach dish, homemade cranberry sauce with clementines and maple sugar, and a grain-free apple crisp. So I'll cobble together a meal with protein and some safer choices, probably, and be perfectly happy with that.

Hoping you all have a gorgeous holiday in your own particular way, "riding your own bike"...

thanks Jeweliana

It's really helpful to hear about your own experimentation. I've had two weekend experiences with the "big ones," dairy and gluten. Dairy knocked me down and GI troubles were severe. This past weekend was my own Salute to Gluten. I went for stuff I loved before whole30 - pita chips, fancy crackers, yeasty baked things (homemade apple kuchen and yeasty rolls), and a few of my favorite christmas cookie recipes (don't worry, I gave almost all of it away, but I ate all of it). This mixed sugar and in some cases a bit of dairy in the mix. I did not have the same stomach troubles, except, shall we say, excess "wind." But I did get totally out of control. I was eating this stuff and not hungry. I was eating fast and without enjoying it. I really, really didn't like how I got - all the deliberation and mindfulness went out the window. My energy was high but not steady. I didn't get much done, work wise, and I can't do that right now bc things are nuts at work.

As I was having this stuff and feeling like I'd been let out of school early and was in full party mode, I did enjoy some of it, but I was bargaining with myself the whole time - "this isn't affecting me" and "maybe I can have this once in awhile" but at one point last night I was wondering if maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to go get some ice cream "since this weekend is ruined anyway" --  how could my mind go there after just being in agony last weekend, paying the ice cream price? I fully blame sugar - from sugar and from the starchy carbs, which I have no control around (yet?). It is a drug for me. Gotta make that a no fly zone expect when kind of unavoidable, like and thanksgiving with friends this week, where I will bring a bunch of complaint stuff and mainly stay off the gluten and dairy.

Good lessons learned. Now I am bloated and uncomfortable and humbled. (Full disclosure, it's that TOM too, but still.)

burgards, I think not going off every which way is going to be a thing I really need to work on  off W30.  Sugar yesterday was fun but I would have had eggnog too if my grocery store hadn't been out of it.

Jeweliana  hopefully with a menu that big you won't be expected to try everything.  also great idea to take some healthier things.

Archived