Degenerative disc pain? Has Whole 30 helped?

I originally started the W30 back in 2013 due to a degenerating hip as well as an assortment of back issues. I have to say it did help. Focusing on healthy food, exercise and getting rid of the crap in the diet is never going to hurt. It took longer than the 30 days. I believe I was solid on the plan for 90 days with good results overall. Core strengthening is your friend....lots of tumeric, ginger and all the other anti inflammatories wont hurt either.

I still had to have a hip replacement this year but learning this plan was time well spent.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

April, I have Degenerative disc disease (facet injections, spinal block and one lumbar fusion by the ripe age of 34 so far) and have completed 2 Whole 30s. I can say that for me, the Whole 30s helped very much. Sugar and wheat can increase inflammation which is a huge problem with DDD so not consuming those helped. Also, I did have a lot more energy (at least some of the days) which allowed me to move more whether that be a long walk or a gentle workout at the gym and those things have always helped my DDD. I really hope your benefit from the Whole 30.

I have severe degenerative joint disease in my hip, so I can speak from that perspective. Sugar and dairy can be inflammatory so eliminating those on a Whole30 can be helpful in managing pain. I found that my Whole30 increased my overall sense of well being and my overall energy levels and decreased my stress. This in turn has encouraged me to keep moving and to continue to stretch and strengthen my muscles and tendons and that definitely decreases my overall pain. My goal is to maintain my daily activities, stretch and strengthen, and reduce my weight by 15% in preparation for hip replacement surgery this summer.

While a Whole30 can't regenerate a degenerated joint, it certainly can help one's overall health and reduce pain.

Nutrition has become part of my health plan, which includes water exercise, Pilates and acupuncture. I've found the emphasis in Pilates on intentional and balanced movement and alignment to be especially helpful.

Archived