Eating out in Maui (aka: How to order fish?)

nononatete

Has anyone been on the Whole30 diet while in Maui by chance? Wondering if anyone found Whole30 friendly chefs at restaurants that were willing to accomodate some meals for them? 

I'm planning on emailing/calling restaurants a couple months in advance and seeing how willing they are to make some Whole30 compliant food.

We'll be having a lot of fish/seafood there so what are things I need to watch out for when ordering fish at a restaurant? I read around here and some people recommended ordering fish dry-cooked/fried? Or grilled without any oil/glaze/etc? 

Just trying to figure out the clearest way to ask/order in a way that doesn't add any mystery liquids/sauces to the fish. 

Same with vegetables.. the best way to order vegetables would be steamed right? 

And salads, I'm planning on just asking for no dressing and bringing in my homemade dressing. 

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators

Are you planning on being on a Whole30 during your vacation?  From what I read, it's a few months away... It's not usually recommended to plan a Whole30 for during a holiday.  If it was me, i would do the Whole30, do the reintroductions and then happily order fresh seafood in Hawaii with the personal knowledge of how foods reacted with me... for instance, I would be fine with some sugar in a sauce, but I would not want soy... 

I just returned from Maui this week and I wasn't on a Whole 30 but I found:

- Breakfast options: try to find a buffet, our hotel had one that was included and it had so many good choices (salad with oil,vinegar, dairy-free omelettes, HB Eggs, sweet potato hash, fresh fruit etc).

- Poke bowls(raw ahi mixed with various items) were easily customizable, I even had one that was made with strictly coconut milk and lime juice.  Bring/buy your own coconut aminos, you will want them for the wasabi.

- Many restaraunts had fish freshly grilled.  It seems the Hawaiians do not like to muddy up the waters with additives on their fish.  Most veggies were also simply dressed/grilled with oil and sea salt.

- Almost everything comes with rice, I simply got tired of it after a meal or two and just didn't eat it.

-The shredded pork often came undressed and plain (a'la Nom Nom Paleo's kahlua pork) but my hubby and I preferred the Nom Nom Paleo version to the real thing.

I agree with SugarcubeOD, there will be many items worth experiencing in Maui (one bite rule, at the very least), so why not give yourself a break?

Be sure to stop at Mama's Fish House - The best meal I had on Maui was there.  Every bite we had was worth it and the atmosphere is to die for!

I agree that trying to do a strict Whole30 while traveling far from home is difficult. I live in Hawaii (on the Big Island) and I can do Whole30 any time, as long as I have access to my kitchen. But I don't do a formal Whole30 while traveling. Some people do Whole30 while traveling, but that can involve lots of carrying your own food around, and that may not be desirable on a trip to Hawaii. Also, things like buffets and other restaurants may be able to easily accommodate Whole30-ish eating, but it's unlikely to be easy to find apparently compliant ingredients cooked in compliant oils, without sugar or soy, or without other non-Whole30-approved additives. In other words, anything that's passed through oil on its way to your plate has probably been passed through a non-compliant oil. Soy is everywhere in Hawaii. And sugar is just in everything, everywhere.

This is not to say you won't eat well in Hawaii, because you will. Maui has everything from high end world class restaurants to touristy places to chains to local favorites. But I wouldn't count on enjoying a trip to Maui much if you had to be Whole30 without access to your own kitchen. But Whole30ish? Sure!

Have a great trip!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that trying to do a strict Whole30 while traveling far from home is difficult. I live in Hawaii (on the Big Island) and I can do Whole30 any time, as long as I have access to my kitchen.

I will be going to the Big Island next month!  Can't wait!  Are there any restaraunts you can reccomend that may be Whole30 friendly?  We will be staying in Kona but traveling all over the island.  Luckily we will have a kitchen so I plan on making a bunch of our meals.  But I'm sure we will eat out for probably one meal a day.  I don't expect to be perfect whole30 while I'm there but want to stick to it as much as possible.  Thanks!

I will be going to the Big Island next month!  Can't wait!  Are there any restaraunts you can reccomend that may be Whole30 friendly?  We will be staying in Kona but traveling all over the island.  Luckily we will have a kitchen so I plan on making a bunch of our meals.  But I'm sure we will eat out for probably one meal a day.  I don't expect to be perfect whole30 while I'm there but want to stick to it as much as possible.  Thanks!

I don't eat out much, so I'm not sure what to recommend. One thing to keep in mind is that you can always find farmers' markets, so you can find good local fruits and veggies all the time. I wish I knew more about restaurants, but I eat at home!

Archived