Jenny B - 2nd Whole30 (plus 60 more days)

Jenny B

Brooklyn,

Yea, I am not beating myself up over it. My first round I definitely would have.  I just think I am in better place and learned something this time even if it was for 7 days instead of 30.  I am still going to Whole30, but just won't call it that.  LOL!  I do believe in the rules etc and I would start over if I felt I needed it.  I am going to just chug along and continue eating right and just call it that.  :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jenny,

Don't let this small slip affect your mindset. You pledged to do a Whole 90, remember? And a Whole 90 is three Whole 30's back-to-back, so just shrug off yesterday's blooper and sit high in the saddle and keep riding. You'll probably make another mistake or two before this is all over, but we're not tracking the mistakes, we're celebrating our victories. You are still on the Whole 90, nothing has changed so continue to boast that you are doing a Whole 30 or Whole 90, because you are. I'm counting on you. 8)

-Cindy

I have yet to make the Whole 30 mayo. Yesterday, I made fresh hamburgers for the family and I tried the baked Portobello mushroom caps as buns for myself. I love mushrooms but I didn't like this because baking the mushrooms made them extra juicy and they kept slipping off of my meat patty. It was such a mess. And because it didn't turn out so good, I lost my confidence to make the mayo, so I put the bowl with the egg and lemon that I let sit on the counter most of the day to warm up back in the frig. I baked a whole chicken tonight along with green beans and red potatoes. Yummy, and I now have bones to make broth.

I have a long and busy day planned for tomorrow. I have a lunch basket with some uncured salami in it for the whole family along with some other goodies. I may not get a chance to check in, but have a good day.

See ya,

-C

Dodged a Bullet

Had a busy day yesterday in that I had to attend three events back to back starting at 8 a.m. and ending at 9 p.m. Breezed through the first event, no problem, but the second event was a workshop for college bound students and their parents. It was a three hour event and at the halfway point there was an intermission where they served water and cookies. Naturally, I got in line with everyone else to get a cold bottle of water and a cookie. I even got angry because kids kept cutting in at the front of the line delaying my gratification. I finally made it to the cookie table before I remembered that I wasn't supposed to eat cookies, not today. So I accepted the bottle of water and exited the line. As I was drinking the water and chatting with other parents I kept my eye on the cookie table. The line was getting shorter and there were still cookies left. I could always get back in line for those old grocery store bakery cookies that I had eaten hundreds of times before. Then I remembered I had packed some snacks but had left them in my car. I excused myself and walked the 10 minutes downhill to my car in the cold, got inside the car and ate two tangerines and stuffed a little bag of cashews and raisins in my jacket pocket and headed back up hill to the college building. When I got back, all the cookies were gone. I stood around happily snacking on my cashews. My daughters joined my conversation group and begged for some of my nuts now that their cookies were gone, but I refused to share. I had something that no one else had...self control.  Chalk up one victory for me. :D

I made Whole 30 mayo last night for the first time and it came out great. I used a ziplock sandwich bag with a corner snipped off to drizzle the oil. Worked perfectly and when done I just threw it away. Easy cleanup. A dollop of mayo tasted good with the salmon I baked for dinner. Now I'm going to make salmon salad and chicken salad.

I do not like mayo, but my Mom made the mayo last whole30 (she did the first one with me) and she thought it wasn't too bad. 

So, I totally had to rush out the door this morning.  I usually am up by 5 (and I was this morning) and out the door by 6:15.  It takes about 45 minutes to get to work. I didn't prepapre for my morning at all.  I had a 7:00 AM call this morning.  So, left the house with no breakfast or lunch.  Sigh.  So, I had pistachios in my drawer and that will be breakfast.  There is nothing around us, so will probaby just go to our cafeteria and get some fruit and some grilled chicken. I have no idea what their chicken is cooked in but I don't care at this point.  The salad bar is gross, and no salad dressing I can eat.  So I will wing it.  Then I have a class tonight from 5:30 - 8:30 PM. I have a feeling I will be a little hungry and cranky today. Poor planning on my part!

I know this advice is a little late, but do you pass a grocery store on your way to your class? At 5:00 most stores have their hot rotisserie chicken available for sale. I was in your situation before and I bought one of those chickens and tore off pieces and ate it in the car cave man style. It wasn't pretty but it hit the spot.

LOL, yea that normally would work. The problem is that I work more than 45 miles from my house and where the class was located.  All highway.  So, there may have been one somewhere but I would have no idea where that would be.  I ended up not having dinner, and was starving this morning.

So, bad news (again, which seems to be the theme this go around).  My pistachios had added sugar (are you freaking kidding me).  Plus the chicken I had at lunch was cooked in some sort of butter/oil combo (yes kind of disgusting but oh well).

Completely my fault. I should have just prepared and I was lazy and didn't do it.  So, I am starting over.  To many mess ups to call it a complete Whole30. No big deal.  My new start date is going to be this weekend (but am not going to really go major off plan just making sure I am prepared).  Only because I need to go to the grocery store. So, stil on path for my Whole90, but I really feel I need to change my date. AND, I am completely ok with this.  It is a journey and I learn something new every time.  I am keeping this log just changing the date.  Still posting every day.  :) 

What? Sugar in my rotisserie chicken??? Awwww!  Is there anything that doesn't have added sugar? I'm glad to read that you're still motivated enough to start over.

Ok, confession time...

I cheated. Last night I made beef stew. Simmered the meat all day in the crockpot. Added onion, celery, potatoes, carrots and green beans after I got home. All good so far. Then I tried to thicken the juice with corn starch and it didn't look so hot, so I tried again with a McCormick beef gravy packet (left over from way back when). Success! After I poured the gravy over the meat and vegetables I decided to read the back of the package and, of course, it contained flour (no sugar though :) ). Now my entire pot of beef stew was contaminated with an off plan ingredient and I knew that. But I ate it anyway because I was soooo hungry and I had been thinking about how good it would taste all day, so I ate a big bowlful. Now I feel guilty despite how many good vegetables I ate.

And there's one more thing. I got on the scale today. I just couldn't stand it any longer. I lost only 2.8 lbs. since Jan 1. I understand why the no scale is a rule but I'm glad that I broke this rule. Now I can reflect on what I've been doing and make adjustments like lighten up on the potatoes, cashews and fruit; my favorite foods in the diet. If I had made it all the way to the end of 30 days and then the scale read 4lbs lost I would be so depressed. I would feel that it was a waste of time regardless of the other health benefits. I'm in it to lose weight, not to lower my blood pressure or decrease my insulin dose, for example (I don't take insulin or have high blood pressure). But from a weight loss perspective, it's not true that you can eat as much as you want and as many times per day that you desire. If you want to lose weight you still have to restrict your caloric intake, which means estimating the calories.

I'm debating what to do at this point; do I continue to charge ahead, start over or pick a different diet that is designed for better weight loss results? Have you been watching that new TV show called, "My Diet is Better Than Yours"? It's entertaining.

Well, the whole beating yourself up for one bad meal is not really the thing to do. Shame, guilt, blame, etc. is not healthy.  For me, I know having the rules around are good for me, because if not I fall completely off course.  I am in it for the weight loss as well (and my tryglicerides were high).  Hoping this will help with the tryglicerides.  But the first Whole30 I lost 11.5 lbs which is a lot I think.  I know I have stay away from the cashews. They are my killer.  Well, snacking is my down fall period.  So, with this I learned not to snack/graze. Which is going to help me in the long run. But, you have to do what is right for you. I think you will get the weight loss results, but it won't happen in 2 weeks. Everyone loses at a different pace.Or just go for the Paleo, it is a lot less restrictive than Whole30. Only you can really answer that. :D

My two cents - you do not need to restrict your calorie intake or count calories.  This just makes life (food) exhausting.  You need to find healthy balance for you.  If you are not doing any exercise then don't have potatoes at every meal.  BUT - I eat pototoes almost every day (one meal) and I don't exercise excessively. I walk every day, but that is about it.  So, I really don't beleive that is the issue.  Fruit - are you eating it with your meal or using it as a snack?  I eat fruit in the morning with my breakfast but that is about it.  And fruit is not going to make you NOT lose any weight! 

No, I haven't seen that show.  I bet it is entertaining.

I'm forging ahead on the Whole 30 and I'll add a few more days onto the backend to make up for the slip up. Starting over at day 1 is more than I can take. I'm infamous for the all or nothing attitude which is why I'm overweight. Every time I have a slip up on a diet I make a plan to start over on Sunday or Monday, but in the meantime, I have a license to pig out. This only makes the problem worse because I gain more weight and indulging myself on sweets makes it harder to start and stick to a diet. So I'm only setting myself up for failure. Therefore, no more excuses like party now and I'll start anew on Sunday or Monday. So today is DAY 14. SIEZE THE DAY! Whoohoo!

WOO HOO!!!  I have to start over just because I had a couple of slip ups.  Oh well.  I am eating whole30ish right now.  I have a birthday dinner/party on Saturday night for my Dad (turned 70 today). We are going to a mexican restaurant, so I will start officially on Sunday, but that is really the only meal that is off plan and I won't go nuts.  Chicken Tortilla soup without the tortillas and some fajitas without the tortillas. So somewhat good.

So happy you are sticking with it. We will hold each other accountable even if there is a slip/mistake/oopsie!

Well I was worried about abandoning you over the weekend (I was so busy), but it looks like you didn't check in either.  You doing okay? Stick with it over the weekend?

I am Day 1 again (I guess I need to change my signature!)

I followed you and went off plan for the weekend (I'm weak willed) and now I'm struggling to get back on the plan. I've started walking/jogging in between the rain but I can't get my sugar dragon under control. Remember the grocery store bakery cookies that I resisted last weekend? Well I ate some this weekend. :( I ate two and felt so dizzy that I had to lie down, but after a short nap I went back for some more. And so it goes. I feel terrible.

Don't feel terrible.  I went completely off plan as well.  It is really hard to restart.  I need to get my mind wrapped around it.  I cancelled some plans over this coming weekend, because I knew I was not strong enough to resist anything.  So, here we are. What day do you want to start back?  I am here for you!

I'm rereading the rules and making a new plan. You know the part about even a little slip will derail your progress, so just don't do it. And don't weigh yourself because this is about more than losing weight? What that really means is that this eating plan is not designed for you to lose weight quickly, so if you weigh yourself you will be disappointed with your progress. I remember reading this before but I didn't believe it. After eliminating major food groups from my diet I thought I couldn't help but to lose a lot of weight, but I didn't.

My neighborhood gym that I used to belong to tried to sell me this diet plan for $395 for the first month and then $100 per month there after. For the first month, you were allowed to eat two meats, two veggies, two fruits and two healthy fats per day. No dairy, wheat, diet soda, condiments, nothing else. After the 30 days you gradually add certain foods back into your diet and then go on a portion control/calorie counting diet. They called this the Hormone Reset Diet. The diet kit that they gave you contained a 30 day supply of multivitamins, B12, probiotics, a cookbook and a journal. You were supposed to weigh yourself every day and text your weight to your counselor before noon to keep yourself accountable. During the orientation the counselor said, "I tried the first 30 days of the plan and I lost 12 pounds which dropped my weight below my high school weight, so I deliberately gained back 2 pounds and that was so hard for me." Yeah, right, I thought. She also said, "A lot of people who continue their gym workouts while on the plan lose 20-25 pounds during the first 30 days." The weight loss made her look old and frail. She had no fat or muscle to speak of anywhere on her body because she never worked out. I firmly declined to be roped into this program by someone who had never had a weight problem before in life. What did she know about emotional eating? It was akin to someone who had never tasted an alcoholic drink before trying to run an AA meeting. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to give up $395 for something that I could and should do myself.

When I got home I Googled "Hormone Reset Diet" and found the book by the same name and lots of information about it. But my google also produced information about the Paleo and Whole 30 diets. And the gym's diet plan sounded more like the Whole 30 than the Hormone Reset diet, so that's how I became interested in the Whole 30. So to say you're not going to lose a lot of weight on the Whole 30...WHAT THE HECK !!!

Okay, my new plan is to start again this Friday (1/22/16) because I need a long weekend to get a firm grip on things. And this time I'm going to simplify my plan. I'm going to take a page from the gym's diet plan and eat three meats, three veggies, two fruits and two fats per day. No nuts, potatoes, excess fruit. I'm going to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen cooking so I spend less time thinking about food. I will stop trying to cook new recipes just because everyone else on this site is cooking and posting about it. (I'm not the type who takes photos of my plate and posts them on Instagram). I'm so glad there's no photo posting on this site. I'm going to take a quasi vacation from cooking. And I'm definitely not going to let bone broth simmer in a crockpot all day and make me crave food until I'm crazy. I'm going to keep it basic. I'm going to buy frozen dinners for the kids so I don't fall into the cooking trap for them. We all will have to make some sacrifices for the next 30 days. And every day that the sun shines I'm going to get outside and walk (Northern CA has had 13 days of heavy rain so far this year and it's only the 20th). My motto for the next 30 days is... Back to Basics.

I'm happy for the people who have stuck to their Whole 30 pledge. They have only 10 days to go. I wish it was me.

Well I did it once, I know I can do it again.  Ok, so tomorrow it is.  I will start then again then too. We can do this!  I truly beleive it! 

I am a true believer in cooking some protein and having it for the week. It simplifies things for me.  I cook some wings, breasts from Chicken. I can slow cook some pork.  I have hamburger patties frozen and ready to go. That is what makes it simple for me.  I am going back to the gym this weekend. I walk every day with by dog, but I know I feel better when I go to the gym.  I don't like to go, but I need to go!  I sit on my ass all day at work and I need to do something at the end of the day. 

I definitely do not post pictures of food.  LOL!  That just annoys me, unless you are posting some recipes for some followers or something (which I am not). HA! 

Buying frozen dinners for the kids is a good idea.  At least they have something.

I know you can lose weight on the Whole30, because I did it. I lost 11.5 lbs.  I think that is pretty good, considering I want to lose around 25-30 lbs.  That was a 1/3 of the weight. I just really have stick with it after 30 days (at least 90% of the time).

Yes, I stopped on my way home yesterday. I cooked chili last night (all good stuff), made a second batch with beans for my son and husband. No big deal because I do this everytime I make chili.  I don't like beans.  LOL!  I bought a huge chicken breast at the store yesterday (like 2 lbs).  I am going to make Green Chili Chicken Stew tonight.  Yummy!  It was cold yesterday and today so sounds good and super easy.  I will cook the stew tonight in my pressure cooker.  Super easy and good for me!  That will get me through today and I will go to the store tomorrow.  I have plenty of eggs etc. so I am good.  Happy 1st day!

I made chili last night too, but without the beans it seemed a bit thin. I used ground beef, onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato puree and spices. What do you use? It made the house smell good. I bought a bunch of chicken wings for the Super Bowl because they were on sale. One of my daughters commented, Do we have to watch the Super Bowl in order to eat the chicken wings? I have a super busy weekend of driving the kids around to their events. Although two of my daughters have their license now they are not allowed to drive on the freeway yet, especially because of the bad weather.

Have a great Day 2! :)

I did not do good over the weekend.  However, I did prep yesterday while eating football food.  I suck. So, today is Day 1.  I don't know what my damn problem is.  Why I can't stay focused. My weekend was lazy and I really just didn't care to be perfectly honest.

I packed a compliant lunch.  I ate a compliant breakfast. I  have a compliant dinner ready to go for tonight.  So, at least that is something.

It is not like anyone is sabotaging me expcept me. I do feel better mentally today, but I am riding this shame train since I a keep eating like shit.  I mean I seriously had onion dip and ruffles.  Who does that when they are trying to be Whole30?  I even made the damn dip.  UGH.

Ok, so I came clean and today is a new day, right?  Are you so excited you decdied to follow my log?  LOL!  I am probably not helping you out much.  Sorry about that. 

:unsure:

Archived