My 2016 Whole30 Journey

Danananda

Day 23 was not my best day planning wise... I did hike in the morning and noticed that I was less bloated today. Still a little gassy though. I had 4oz of apple juice last night to move things along, and did the same tonight too.

Another NSV I noticed yesterday was that my legs were not irritated after shaving.

B = 2 fried eggs over sweet potato hash with wilted greens and leftover sausage
L = red bell pepper dipped in creamy italian dressing, prosciutto, grapefruit, apple w/ sun butter + extra sun butter (needed to finish the jar and get it out of the house :)
S = Rx Bar
D = 4 beef franks with Tessamae's catsup and mayo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 24 and I have decided to extend my Whole30 to a Whole48 at minimum - which means I am halfway! I will decide if I want to go for 60 days later on. Feeling so good and wanting to solidify habits before starting reintroduction. I don't have anything coming up that could derail me. I do have a dinner party on February 19th - I'm cooking, so it will be Whole30. Not sure if I want to reintroduce wine that night or not. The jury is still out on alcohol.

Today was a better day food-wise. I had time to cook and prep for the next few days. Woke up to Thai Beef ready and waiting in the crock pot, made Crack Slaw with turkey, broccoli slaw, and cabbage today, and even had time to make golden cauliflower soup. Freezing a little of each for next week :)

B = Thai Beef with carrots and seer potatoes

L = Tuna filets on greens with olives, and 3 large carrots dipped in creamy italian dressing

S = Rx Bar

D = cup of cauliflower soup and Crack Slaw

I can't believe it is already Day 25. Super grateful everything has gone so well. Love having food prepped and ready to go. I need to continue to do this!!! This IS the key.

B = two fried eggs, sweet potato hash with ghee, greens, and prosciutto

L = thai beef stew

D = red peppers and cucumbers dipped in TJs guacamole, crack slaw (I heated coconut oil and infused it with extra ginger and chinese five spice before reheating the slaw) - much better than yesterday

2 clementines

Day 26 and only 4 days to go to reach my first goal: 100% Whole 30. No cheats, no slips, no excuses!!!

Nothing new to report. Still amazed with my kitchen skills, meal prep hacks, and ability to stay in the flow. Cooked spaghetti squash for dinner while eating lunch was brilliant and made dinner prep a breeze. Working less and having house guests has allowed me the extra time I need to stay on track. Reading the forums and W30 daily keeps me inspired.

B = 3 fried eggs, handful of greens wilted, golden cauliflower soup

L = leftover Thai beef stew over cauli rice

D = spaghetti squash, spicy italian sausage, roasted broccoli and Rao's arribiata - divine :)

Hi Dananda,

I'm starting my first Whole30 on 1st February so pulling together my pantry! Thanks for a great personal blog on your daily foods. One question is where did you get your 'Crack slaw' recipe? It sounds yummy. I know I'll be pinching some of you food ideas.....

Hi Dananda,

I'm starting my first Whole30 on 1st February so pulling together my pantry! Thanks for a great personal blog on your daily foods. One question is where did you get your 'Crack slaw' recipe? It sounds yummy. I know I'll be pinching some of you food ideas.....

Hi Murcian!

I used this recipe (http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-slaw-low-carb-434863)%C2'> a base and then created my own Whole30 versions.

I like to change it up... I have used ground beef and ground turkey - the ground beef is much more flavorful! I imagine a little sausage would be good in there too. I always use twice the amount of cole slaw mix / cabbage / broccoli slaw, and I substitute coconut aminos for soy sauce, Louisiana hot sauce for sriracha, ditch the splenda, and I like to add 1/2 tsp chinese five spice. When I reheat it, I now heat a little oil in the pan and once hot, sprinkle in a little ginger, chinese five spice, and extra hot sauce before adding in my leftovers - totally yummy! 

Enjoy your Whole30 journey! 

Hi Murcian!

I used this recipe ( a base and then created my own Whole30 versions.

I like to change it up... I have used ground beef and ground turkey - the ground beef is much more flavorful! I imagine a little sausage would be good in there too. I always use twice the amount of cole slaw mix / cabbage / broccoli slaw, and I substitute coconut aminos for soy sauce, Louisiana hot sauce for sriracha, ditch the splenda, and I like to add 1/2 tsp chinese five spice. When I reheat it, I now heat a little oil in the pan and once hot, sprinkle in a little ginger, chinese five spice, and extra hot sauce before adding in my leftovers - totally yummy! 

Enjoy your Whole30 journey! 

I just noticed that the forum - or the way I am posting recipe links - is not showing up in my posts. So I will try the link button above and see if that works!

Crack Slaw Recipe

Day 27!!! It just keeps getting better. Although day 30 is right around the corner, I am continuing this journey for a little longer. Partly because I have more belly fat to lose, and partly to more deeply ingrain the wonderful habits I am creating.

B = crack slaw with extra oil and spices, side of acorn squash with ghee and pepper

L = spaghetti squash topped with italian sausage and Arribiata sauce

D = handful of cashews while cooking, cauliflower soup, leftover roasted broccoli and two chicken thighs slathered with homemade mayo. I brined the chicken first - what a difference! I also sprinked Mel Joulwan's Ras el Hanout on one of the thighs to see if I liked it - it was delish :)

From now on I am brining my chicken (I tried a 30 minute brine), and I will be trying out my Ras el Hanout on everything. Don't know why I haven't brined chicken or made this spice mix before. I think I thought it would take too much time... I am worth it!

p.s. I had two clementines last night after I posted

Day 28 and my mind was wandering - thinking about sweet things, Guinness beer, grande soy lattes... not craving anything in particular, just aware that my mind was revisiting some well-worn thought patterns suggesting I stop and get a treat. So I went to Chipotle and had carnitas on lettuce with guacamole and salsa - even had raw veggies in my bag to dip into the guacamole! It satisfied my urge to do something different after prepping and cooking 3 meals a day for 28 days... glad I am extending my Whole30 as my mind saw the end of the 30-day challenge nearing and had the nerve to start thinking these old thoughts again!

B = 2 eggs fried with ghee, leftover cauliflower soup with ghee

mini meal = 3 slices roast beef and raw veggies dipped in guacamole (not enough time for a full meal)

L = Chipotle! Carnitas Salad with salsa and guacamole, raw veggies

D = handful pecans while making Mel Joulwan's Velvety Butternut Squash - OMG good - ate it with baked brined chicken and roasted (frozen) broccoli - not as good as fresh but great in a pinch

Day 29 and feeling fine - like I want to continue forever - which I know isn't practical. Have been reading the whole30 reintroduction threads for ideas. After another 15 - 30 days, I will do a slow roll reintroduction. I want to stay dairy-free and gluten-free for now. I do want to try gluten-free bread (for burgers), white rice, quinoa, corn tortillas, lentils, and soy milk (for lattes when almond or coconut milk isn't available). I love beer so will reintroduce Guinness and yummy stouts and porters at some point. Possibly red wine and margaritas... but I am not in a hurry as I know the sugar/alcohol combo is NOT good for me. We shall see!

B = 2 fried eggs with acorn squash and sautéed spinach with extra ghee

L = chicken thigh with leftover velvety butternut squash and roasted broccoli

S = apple with sun butter (bought another jar so I can make West African Stew)

D = chicken thigh with leftover velvety butternut squash and roasted broccoli

I am definitely noticing how my body has changed. Want to continue to lose body fat and tone my muscles. Starting back with TRX classes on Monday. Looking forward to weighing in and checking my body fat that day - especially knowing that this is just the beginning :)

Whole30 Life is Good!

Woo Hoo! Day 30 has come and gone... I am proud of my accomplishment and feel good about continuing this journey. Too tired now to review my NSVs or ponder and plan the next 30 days. Perhaps over an espresso tomorrow :)

Pre-early morning Yoga: Hard boiled egg with dollop of mayo and seasoning

B = West African Stew over wilted greens

L = Zucchini, tomato, olive and sausage favorite - I need to name this!

S = Rx bar between clients

D = 4 slices roast beef and 2/3 red pepper dipped in guacamole (too late for a full meal)

Made two main dishes today and will add Morroccan Meatballs and Lemon Spinach to the mix tomorrow. I was thinking of going to TRX in the morning. Will see how I feel. Yoga today and yesterday was a gift.

Day 31 - or day 1 of my slow roll introduction with 15 more days Whole 30 style. I weighed myself this morning and was disappointed I only released 3 pounds... body fat down to 28%. I had a feeling this would happen, as I am not eliminating as regularly as I would like and I felt that I was eating too much. And although disappointed, I have too many other wins to let that disappointment get to me. I also realize that I need to eat closer to the template more often. And not eat so much protein. I do need to add more veggies and fat and water and exercise!!!

From this point forward I will keep better track of my food and water intake. My 30 day goal for January 1 - February 29 is to move every day :)

Yesterday I went to a Level 1 Yoga, today Yogalates.

137 / 28 bf

water - approximately 72ounces

6:15am espresso with coconut milk
7:45am B = two eggs fried in ghee over leftover zucchini, tomato, olive, sausage dish, with 6oz cauliflower rice seasoned with ghee and pepper (2 cups veggie + 2/3 sausage and 2 eggs + 6 olives and 2 tsp of ghee) 
10:30am decaf espresso with almond/coconut milk
12:30pm L = raw red peppers dipped in guacamole + West African Chicken Stew over 2 handfuls spinach wilted (2 cups veggie + palm sized portion chicken + 2 heaping tbsp guacamole and sunbutter in the stew)
3:00pm decaf espresso with almond/coconut milk
6:30pm D = Market Spice Kale with ground lamb and 3 Morroccan Meatballs (2.5 cups veggies + palm and 1/2 lamb + coconut milk in kale)

Posting this here to remember my WINS:

In my initial W30 log statement, I said:

This is about me loving and honoring myself enough to follow through - to do what I know I want and need to do - to be the healthiest me that I can possibly be.

And I did it! In the past, I have completed 2 “Wholesome30s” that were 98 – 99% compliant, so it was important to me to surrender and complete this program the way it was intended – 100% - no slips, no tweaks, no excuses. Yes, I was a tweaker :)

My top 10 NSVs:

1) I honored my commitment to myself

I believe loving and honoring ourselves is the most challenging and rewarding thing we can do! As a result of honoring my commitments to myself, I feel well fed physically, mentally, emotionally, and energetically, and most importantly, I have greater integrity as a result of walking my talk and living my life with greater purpose – to be the healthiest and happiest me that I can possibly be.

2) Awareness

I am much more aware of my food choices and how they effect me, the thoughts that tempt to derail me, and my ability to make choices that honor the spirit of the program and the one and only body that I have.

3) Self-support

Supporting myself with daily reading of the forums, blog, W30 Daily emails was a gift that I gave myself. Logging my food intake and general observations has provided me with the feedback I needed to realize my successes and to course-correct as I move into a slow roll introduction.

4) Increased physical activity and steady energy

I am back to a regular yoga practice, and am hiking once again. My energy is mostly consistent throughout the day. Not tiger-blood crazy, just feeling more in-the-flow than before.

5) Sleep

I am going to bed about an hour earlier. I am getting out of bed after only pushing snooze once – this allows me time to reflect on my day before getting up and moving my body. I am dreaming more too – or at least remembering that I dreamed. I even had a guilty dream of going off-plan – and remembered it before I felt guilty for something I didn't do :)

6) Culinary triumphs

I am much more organized in the kitchen. I have expanded my culinary skills and can throw together a compliant meal with a minimum of effort. I never knew that I would enjoy leftovers for breakfast so much. I can now prep and plan like the pros, and the freezer and crock pot have become my new best friends. I save my favorite recipes in a bookmark on my computer, so I am never without ideas and cooking remains an adventure.

7) Skin and face changes

My skin is softer, and my legs aren’t irritated after I shave them! My face is softer looking and feeling. The bags under my eyes are less noticeable and my eyes are brighter.

8) Nose and throat clear

The excess moisture in my nose is mostly non-existent. I am experiencing a clear, dry nose most of the time. I am breathing more clearly than I can ever remember. I am pretty sure it is dairy that causes it, and occasional intense weather changes. So if and when I reintroduce dairy, I will know for sure. Also, I haven’t experienced the need to clear my throat or noticed significant vocal changes I used to experience when I speak (which I believe is a result of dairy-induced phlegm) – I use my voice to teach yoga / meditation – so this is important to me.

9) Shoulder tension decreased

My muscles are not as tense. I also work as a massage therapist and have ALWAYS had super tight shoulders. They are softer – even my chiropractor noticed without me saying anything. I know this is a result of reduced inflammation. This is truly transformational for me.

10) Saved $$$

I have only eaten out 3 times and saved approximately $250 this last month by eating in and not getting in the car to go out to eat once or twice a day (yes, I did that in the past). And these savings include eating well-sourced meat and eggs. I know these are actual savings because I have recorder my spending for the last two years. 

And the SVs?

I released 7 pounds in scale weight (from 144 – 137) and my bodyfat went down 9% (from 30% to 28%). This is freakin huge!!! And I thought I was eating too much! I would not have realized all these victories if it wasn’t for my commitment to log my food and observations everyday. I now know that planning, prepping, and daily reading was important for my success.

THANK YOU Whole30!!!

Thank you to all of you who take the time to post- you inspire me! I have learned from your questions and experiences :)

To all the moderators – you totally ROCK! Thank you for volunteering your time and for offering your wisdom and guidance. I am grateful!

This has been an absolutely awesome ride and you all have been great companions on my W30 journey.

Day 32 - Felt good to review my W30 and post my wins today. Great reminder of the power of this program :) 

6:15am 
espresso with coconut / almond milk

7:00am 
B = 3 fried eggs with acorn squash (extra coconut oil mixed in as I ran out of ghee), and leftover Zucchini, olive, tomato, sausage special and decaf espresso with coconut / almond milk 
(2 cups veggie + 3 eggs and 1/2 sausage + tbsp fat and coconut milk in my espresso) 

12:15pm
L = 7 Moroccan Meatballs over cauli rice. Added tbsp coconut creme to include fat. Decaf espresso with coconut/almond milk.
(1.5 cups veggie + 2 palm sized portion protein + tbsp coconut creme and coconut milk in my espresso)

4:00pm
S = banana with sunbutter (two heaping tbsp)

6:45pm
TRX Class

8:00pm
D = leftover West African Chicken Stew over greens and cauli rice
(1.5 cups veggie + 1.5 palm sized protein + fat in sun butter and tbsp of coconut creme)

Approximately 80 ounces of water today.

Day 33 and cruising along. 

6:15 am espresso with coconut/almond milk

B = leftover ground lamb sauteed in coconut oil and ras hanout with acorn squash and coconut milk, decaf espresso with c/a milk
(palm sized protein + 1.5 cups squash + 1/2 cup coconut milk)

1:00pm
S = Rx Bar (no time for a meal until 3pm)

3:00pm
L = 2 sausages sauteed in coconut oil over greens - added EVOO after cooking 
(1.5 palm size protein + 1 cup greens + tbsp fat)

4:45pm 
decaf espresso with c/a milk

7:30pm
D = Garbage Stir Fry with ground turkey, onions, frozen broccoli, and TJ's Cruciferous Crunch - added EVOO after cooking
(1.5 palm size protein + 2 cups veggies + tbsp fat)

Day 34 and I woke up an hour earlier than normal - at 4:44am! I had no desire to go back to sleep. I felt good and had great energy and then accomplished so much today. Was able to sit and write for several hours today! Very please with that because I have been procrastinating and not really feeling like writing. I think this is Tiger Blood and I want more!!! I have been upping my fats and veggies, being more physical, and drinking more water. Elimination has improved. Looking forward to having my body fat tested in a hydrostatic weighing tank. I will compare it to the handheld BF testing device I have at home and see which one I like better ;0)

5:00am 

espresso with c/a milk

6:00am
B = leftover Garbage Stir Fry
(1.5 palm size protein + 2 cups veggies + tbsp fat)

11:30am
L = buttery shrimp scampi over spaghetti squash
(1.5 cups veggie + 1.5 palm sized protein + tbsp ghee)

12:30pm
decaf espresso with almond milk

2:30pm
S = Rx bar - definitely NOT an emergency. I wanted one and I allowed myself to have it :)

4:30pm
Yoga

6:30pm
D = marinara over ground turkey and roasted broccoli, multi-colored carrots dipped in homemade mayo
(2 cups veggie + 1.5 palm sized protein + 1/2 tbsp mayo and olive oil in the marinara)

Day 35 - up before my alarm and ready to go. Good day with consistent energy throughout. Went to yoga at 5:30pm - which I never did on a Friday night before. Usually bushed after a day of massage and all I would want is a pint of beer or glass of wine. This is another major win for me.

5:45am

2 espressos with c/a milk

6:45am 
B = 3 eggs fried in ghee over 1 cup spinach and 1 cup sweet potatos with 1 tbsp ghee
(3 eggs + 2 cups veggies + 1 tbsp fat)

12:45pm
L = baked chicken with kale salad (red onion, red pepper, red cabbage, sunflower seeds) and Tessamae's Black Pepper dressing
(palm sized protein + 1.5 cups veggies + 2 tbsp fat)

3:30pm
S = apple with 2 heaping tbsp of sunbutter

5:30pm
Yoga

8:00pm (wasn't very hungry)
L = buttery shrimp scampi over spaghetti squash
(1.5 cups veggie + 1.5 palm sized protein + tbsp ghee)

Forgot to add that I had an orange last night after dinner :)

Day 36 - didn't feel like doing much today... got tanked by the body fat test truck and found hydrostatic weighing is just about the same as my handheld electrical impedance monitor - no need to spend 30 minutes and $40 anymore :)

no food or drink from 6:30am - 8:30am for body fat test

8:30am 
body fat test (139 / 128.9) - very similar to my home test (137 / 128.1)

9:15am
B = 2 eggs fried with one spicy italian sausage, mashed sweet potatoes and greens sauteed in ghee
(2 eggs, 1 sausage + 2 cups veggie + 1 tbsp added ghee)

10:30am  

12:30pm
apple with 2 heaping tbsp sunbutter 

2:45pm
homemade curried chicken salad (mayo, pecans, apples, celery) over greens
(1.5 palm sized protein + 1.5 cup veggie + mayo)

8:45pm
1.5 spicy italian sausages browned with marinara over zoodles
(1.5 palm sized protein + 1.5 cup veggie + 3 tbsp coconut milk creme)

Day 37 and this way of eating has become my new normal. Definitely want to keep it mostly this way. Its been easy because I am eating at home and haven't gone out much, which can't last too much longer as I do like to go out! Not ready to reintroduce anything yet. Forgot to take salad greens to work tonight, so missed veggies in my template meal for the first time all week :(

6:45am

7:45am 
B = 1.5 spicy italian sausage, mashed sweet potatoes and greens sauteed in ghee
(1.5 palm sized protein + 1.5 cups veggie + 1 tbsp added ghee)

L = ginger-lime shrimp with coconut almond green beans (Mel Joulawan) Yum!
decaf espresso with coconut milk
(1 palm sized protein + 1.5 cups veggie + 1 tbsp coconut creme and coconut milk in espresso)

5:45pm
D = chicken salad with apple, celery, and pecans mixed with homemade mayo
(1.5 palm sized protein + mayo)

Day 38 - I had great energy most of the day and felt stronger in my yogalates class today. I have upped my fats, lowered my protein, and am drinking more water and it has helped energy and increased elimination. I am noticing my inclination to snack lately and have decided to cut back on that. I would also like to move towards eating before having coffee in the morning. I am in the habit of eating to the template now and I have managed to eat within an hour of waking. Now if I can forgo that coffee for an hour... I do love to sit and sip on it while reading. If I go back to meditating first, then eating, the coffee / reading can be my dessert!

2 espressos with coconut milk - 

7:15am 
B = 4 eggs scrambled with 1/3 cup pumpkin puree over sauteed greens with extra ghee
(4 eggs + 1 cup veggie + tbsp ghee)

10:45 am
S = Rx bar (not an emergency and not needed - am aware that I am eating more snacks and sitting with what I want to do about it)

12:45 pm
L = baked chicken over raw kale salad with homemade ranch dressing
(palm sized protein + 1.5 cups veggie + 3 tbsp mayo based dressing)
decaf espresso with coconut milk and tsp coconut oil

6:15pm
D = handful Castelverano olives while reheating ginger-lime shrimp with coconut almond green beans
(1 palm sized protein + 1.5 cups veggie + lots of olives)

7:30pm
TJs Ruby Red Chai with 2 tbsp coconut milk creme

Loving this way of eating. Shopping is still an adventure, and reading every day is supporting and inspiring me to be my best :)

Day 39 is fine, fine, fine! Felt strong in Yoga 2 tonight and went without snacks today. Did have coffee first thing - one change at a time! I bought raw sauerkraut last night and tried it for the first time today - I like it. Aware that tomorrow is day 40 already. I committed to a Whole45 and am now considering a Whole60 since I am 2/3 of the way there. That would take me to March 1 - I have no desire to eat any off-plan foods at the moment and have no events coming up - with the exception of a dinner I am cooking. I don't need to decide right now... 

2 espressos with coconut milk and 1 tsp coconut oil

7:15am 
B = Thai Beef Stew (from the freezer :)
(1.5 palm sized protein + 1.5 veggie + coconut milk in stew / oil in coffee)

L = Golden Cauliflower Soup (from the freezer) and baked chicken over kale with homemade ranch dressing
(palm sized protein + 2.5 cups veggie + 3 tbsp mayo based dressing)

4:30pm
decaf espresso with coconut milk and tsp coconut oil

5:45 pm - Pre-WO meal
Hard boiled egg with mayo and seasoning

6:15pm
Yoga Level 2

7:45pm
D = 2 beef franks w/sauerkraut, Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup (made with bone broth), and olives
(1.5 palm sized protein + 2 cups veggie + olives)

Browned turkey meat last night and made taco seasoning and frittata this morning. Couldn't wait for frittata to cook so had the leftover meat and veggies for breakfast with golden cauliflower soup. For my future self: Frittata = turkey, 1/2 bag frozen spinach, 1/2 bag frozen broccoli, 8 eggs and 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Cut into 4 servings. 1 serving = approximately 2 eggs + 3 oz turkey + 2 oz broccoli + 2 oz spinach.

6:00am
2 espressos with coconut milk and 1 tsp coconut oil

B = Ground turkey with broccoli and spinach drizzled with olive oil. Served with Golden Cauliflower Soup with added coconut oil.
(1.5 palm sized protein + 3 cups veggie + 1 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp coconut oil added to meal)

1:30pm
L = 1/4 Frittata and bowl zucchini soup - I am stuffed!
(guessing 1.5 - 2 palm sized protein + 3 cups veggie + 1/2 avo)

3:00pm (after meditation)

9:00pm (after 2.5 hour meeting)
D = 2 Organic Beef Hot Dogs, 1/4 cup sauerkraut, and zucchini soup with extra coconut oil
(1.5 palm sized protein + 2 cups veggie + 1 tbsp coconut oil)

I realized I went 6.5 hours between meal 1 and 2, and 7.5 hours between meal 2 and 3 today with no ill effects :)

Archived