My 2016 Whole30 Journey

Danananda

In full transparency, I am not a blogger. Nor do I want to be :)

This log is mostly for me. For accountability. A place to check in. 

That said, it may be boring, it may be funny, and I may even get creative along the way. I guess it is possible I could become a blogger in the process. Although that is not the goal.

This is me committing to me.

This is about me loving and honoring myself enough to follow through - to do what I know I want and need to do - to be the healthiest me that I can possibly be.

I am committing to the program 100% this time. For a minimum of 30 days. The last 2 times I completed a Whole30 have been great - but not true Whole30's as there were a few slips. None of that this time. If I accidentally do slip - I will start over. No excuses.

So today is day ZERO. I am prepping and planning for the week and enjoying the last of my dark chocolate. 

I am off to get my house in order!

Life is good :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 W30 done!

Yay... I am back on track and feeling good about my choices today, even though my lunch was more like a snack (lack of planning). I managed to ignore sweet cravings after breakfast and dinner, grabbed a compliant but not great lunch to eat while on the road, and created a decent dinner. Tomorrow I am doing a cook up for the next few days so I have ready-made meals to choose from. Overall I had good energy up until 10:30pm tonight and with the exception of a minor dull-like headache, I feel good!

Breakfast - 3 eggs scrambled with 1 zucchini and minced shallots in coconut oil, topped with 1/2 an avocado.

Lunch - 1 apple and a handful of raw walnuts on the road

Dinner - 4oz of tuna with 2 tbsp of homemade mayo on herb lettuce with sliced cucumbers and 12 grapes

Starting weight 144, BF 30% - really? Not liking my BF reading :(

Day 2 was a breeze :) May the remaining days stay this way!

Cooked up chicken thighs and roasted veggies in the oven, prepared crack slaw and 3 soups (zucchini, tomato, and butternut squash)! I now have enough meals for several days. Stashing extra soup in the freezer for next week. Feeling great. No headaches and my sugar cravings were minimal.

B = 2 espresso with Almond Milk, Crack Slaw with turkey

L = Quick Cream of Tomato Soup ( Cauli rice and cubed chicken with half an avocado - yum!

D = Butternut Squash Soup (http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/10/29/spiced-butternut-squash-soup/) with grilled chicken thigh

Forgot to include 2 espresso with almond milk in yesterday's post...

Day 3 and no detox symptoms! My energy has been consistent all day and I was super productive and clear-headed.

No cooking today and I had so many things to choose from :)

B = 2 espresso with Almond Milk, Crack Slaw with Turkey and 1/2 avocado

L = Quick Cream of Tomato Soup, chicken, with 1/2 an avo and some olives

S = 10 walnut halves and cup of Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup from Well Fed

D = Roasted Veggies with a chicken thigh and scoop of homemade mayo

It feels good to be back.  

Day 4 and everything is still great! Super focused and productive again today. The only issue is not feeling tired or wanting to go to sleep. I have been on the computer a lot lately working on a project, so that might be it. Thinking about my late night snacks but not craving them.

B = 2 espresso with almond milk (1decaf) 3 scrambled eggs and cup of zucchini soup

L= taco salad with ground turkey, salsa, and avo over greens

D = sardines and oil over greens, butternut squash soup

Day 5 and I am cruising through this... Feeling really great! Started to get tired a little earlier tonight which is a good thing. Noticed my nose wasn't as moist - dairy?

B = sautéed zucchini and roasted tomatoes with poached eggs and avo, 2 espressos

L = mixed up a new crack slaw with beef and broccoli / carrot slaw, 15 grapes

D = Baked chicken and roasted delicata squash

Day 6 and feeling totally grateful for how easy everything is going. It helps that I've had a light work load and have been home more often. Prepping is definitely the key!

I

n hindsight, I know I needed more fat today and will plan better tomorrow! Nose not as moist and feeling tired earlier - yay!

B = leftover Crack Slaw

L = 1/2 sweet potato and 2 grilled chicken thighs

D = tuna with homemade mayo, lemon juice, and dill on salad greens, 10 walnut halves

I completed week one and I'm feeling fabulous! Great energy, clear-headed, and definitely feeling good about honoring myself, my goals, and my commitment to see it all the way through - 100%.

B = 2 espressos + 3 hard-boiled eggs with a dollop of mayo and seasoning

L = chicken salad with Mel's spicy sauce over kale/carrot mix and 8 cherries

D = Zucchini, olive, spicy sausage and fire-roasted tomato concoction + 1/2 sweet potato

Love eating this way and grateful I have the time to do it.

Next week I will phase out one espresso a day - not giving it up... Just decreasing the amount :)

W2D1 - All is good in my world. Ate lunch before going to a birthday party for my niece. Watched everyone eat burgers and fries while I sipped on an iced tea. The shakes looked good but I didn't crave them or want them. One of the mom's at my table just started the Whole30 - her 16 year old requested it, her husband got on board, so she reluctantly joined and is glad she did. So we talked Whole30 for awhile!

B = broccoli/sausage frittata with salsa and 4 cherries + 2 espressos with almond milk

L = taco salad with leftover ground beef, salsa, and 1/2 avo and handful of cherries

D= zucchini/sausage/olive tomato dish with 1/2 avo, and side of cauli rice with ghee, 4 cherries

I did get a little drowsy today - twice. Tweaked my knee in yoga at the end of class this morning and it is still bothering me 10 hours later. My nose stayed mostly dry today. Spent a couple hours reading the Whole30 book today and found a couple of recipes for next week!

W2D2 has been great. Its funny...since I haven't been out, except to work and shop, I haven't spent any cash and hardly used any gas! I think the Whole30 is saving me money :)

B = leftover frittata, salsa, 1/2 avo, 3 cherries + 2 espressos with almond milk

L = 2 chicken thighs with leftover spicy sauce + 1/3 acorn squash

D = last of the zucchini / sausage dish with 1/2 avo

Energy was pretty steady today. Had a decaf espresso midday. My knee felt 90% better when I woke up this morning. 2nd morning in a row I have remembered dreaming. The excess moisture in my nose is almost non-existent. Not sure if it is the diet or the weather as today was drier and not as cold. My left low back started to hurt a little this evening. Feeling tired and ready to sleep - peacefully :)

W2D3 - yes! Really great day. Still feeling good. Knee better and moved through a yoga class with no issues. Nose mostly dry.

B = 2 deviled eggs + 2 espresso

L = Melissa's chicken hash - yum!

D= handful cashews, leftover frittata with extra broccoli and avo mayo

S = acorn squash with ghee and pepper

Had a handful of cashews last night too and forget to include in post :)

W2D4 and I woke up with a slight headache that was gone at breakfast. Energy good all day. Getting a lot of things done which is totally awesome! Gave in to sunflower seed butter today but measured it out so I wouldn't abuse it as I have in the past. Proud of my self-control!

B = 2 espresso + leftover Chicken hash - this is going in my all time favorites :)

L = 2 deviled eggs + leftover broccoli with avo mayo + tomato soup 

S = apple with 2 tbsp of sunflower seed butter

D = Tuna mixed with avo mayo over greens + 2 beets

Need to cook again tomorrow to get through Thursday. Love having soup in the freezer!

W2D5 - Another great day. I am so grateful I am experiencing so much ease. I remembered last night after I posted that my nose was less moist - whatever allergies I have had seem to be on their way out. Powered through a cooking session this morning and created enough food for a couple of days. Really happy with how organized I can be in the kitchen! Did not eat as much today and didn't feel hungry. It helped that I was busy and otherwise distracted.

B = sauteed sweet potatoes with onions and greens topped with 3 fried eggs

L = crack slaw with turkey, handful cashews

D = baked cold chicken with raw veggies topped with fresh mayo

S = apple with 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter

W2D6 - Forgot to post last night. 

B = zucchini soup

L = Rao's Marinara with ground turkey over zoodles

S = Rx Bar - Chocolate Coffee

D = Crack Slas

Even though I forget to post it, I have 2 espressos every day... I do want to cut back and haven't set a date yet :)

Everything else is going well!

W2D7 - 2 weeks tonight - yay!

Today I made the cold thai salad in Whole30 cookbook - yum! Topped with shrimp, sugar snap peas, and extra sunshine sauce :)

B = leftover Crack Slaw 

S = Rx bar - apple cinnamon
L = Cold Thai Salad
D = 2 pieces of chicken and raw veggies dipped in sunshine sauce

Tomorrow is my first restaurant outing - planning on taking dressing, chicken, raw veggies, sunshine sauce, and Rx bars - just in case!

Day 15 - Week 3!

Survived my first dining out experience today - a family birthday party at a winery no less... I found two items on the menu that I could make compliant, talked to the wait staff about the items, and ended up ordering a compliant burger on salad greens. The tomato, chiles, and avo were my dressing. Added a little oil and vinegar for the greens. It was really good. I ended up having two Rx Bars today because my dinner did not stay cold in my makeshift cooler. Not the best choice, but totally compliant. I was not tempted by the chocolate, cookies, or wine - 3 things that I loved in the past. No one noticed I skipped these items. I wasn't hungry but felt like I wanted to get some veggies and fat into my body before I went to sleep, so added the last snack.

Also noticed last night that my pants were looser, and today I realized by normally tight and sore shoulders have not been bothering me the last few days - this is a huge win :)

B = zoodles and marinara w/ground turkey

S = Rx Bar

L = burger on a salad with fried egg, tomato, poblano chiles, and avocado on salad greens with a little oil and vinegar

D = Rx Bar

S = Sunshine sauce with raw carrots and yellow sweet peppers

Day 16 and I felt a little drowsy today - don't know if it is from the almost 6-mile hike or food choices... another thing I am noticing is that I am dreaming more... remembering that I am dreaming might be more true!

B = Melissa's Chicken Hash

L = Tonnino tuna filets (amazing) on greens, leftover sunshine sauce with sugar snap peas
S = Chocolate Sea Salt Rx Bar
D = Egg Salad with cucumbers, cream of tomato soup

Day 17 and feeling fine... 

B = Leftover chicken hash

L = Paleo Grubs Shrimp Scampi on spaghetti squash - super yummy and easy with pre-cooked squash and shrimp! 

D = Egg Salad on greens with raw carrots and butternut squash soup (last of freezer soups)

Day 18! All is well. Nothing new to report. Just keep on keeping on. Even when tempted with appetizers and wine tonight. Didn't even want it. 

B = Sweet Potato and Chicken Curry - easy and yummy - from onedishdinners.com 

L = leftover Shrimp Scampi - next time need to sauté with more garlic!

D = Chipotle salad with carnitas, mild salsa, and guacamole - my 2nd meal out in 18 days - a record for sure!

It's day 19 and I am noticing I am getting sleepier earlier - which is a good thing. My muscles are still less sore than before, nose is what I believe is normal, and I am dreaming more. I did have a drug / alcohol dream that involved my mom :- she was talking about drugs a couple days before :)

B = Sweet Potato and Chicken Curry

S = Rx Bar

L = same chicken curry over cauli rice

D = grapefruit and avo on salad greens with walnuts

Forgot to include two snacks yesterday... I had a long day and enjoyed an Rx bar at the end of an evening workshop as it would be too late to eat when I got home. Also had an apple with sun butter between L and D.

Day 20! Have been thinking about eating out and some of my favorites. And then I remember I have yummy food at home. I am saving so much money by dining at home :)

Tonight I did not feel like dinner, so I just had an apple and nut butter. I know it isn't the best choice, but boy was it yummy!

B = 3 eggs fried, roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts, with 1/2 avo 

L = Rao's Marinara with italian sausage and ground turkey over zoodles (think I overdid it on the meat) + 2 clementines

D = Apple with 2 tbsp sunbutter

3 weeks... really tired tonight - thinking I needed to eat more.

B = blueberry Rx bar

L = Sliced chicken and avo over greens with chopped red pepper and italian dressing. 1 clementine

D = acorn squash with ghee and 2 beef franks

Day 22... was really yawn-y today - not tired but definitely lower energy. Had a great yoga practice, and noticed I smelled of fish oil - interesting! Posted on it but haven't heard anything back.

I had a dream about eating non-compliant foods! Was it chips? I had "forgotten" and got caught up in the enjoyment and festivity of the event I was at. I was horrified and thought I had ruined my Whole30 :)

B =  best breakfast yet! 2 eggs, roasted acorn squash with ghee, wilted greens, and italian sausage

L = baked chicken on salad greens with olives, cucumbers, salsa, and guacamole

D = Rao's Arribiata Sauce with broccoli, over zoodles and ground turkey

Archived