Cheryl's Whole 30 Log - Started 1/1/2016

runcherylrun

Day 7 - January 7...last day of our first full week.  WOO HOO!  Although days 1-3 I experienced headaches, and days 4-5 I was feeling a tightening in one of my calves...overall I haven't had any physical issues.  I'm not having any crazy food cravings, yet - and that excites me because I anticipated that was going to be my downfall.  I'm a well trained emotional eater, especially when it comes to stress, and despite a stressful week so far at work I'm doing pretty good.

Congrats on making it through one week!! That's awesome! I totally hear you on the emotional eating, and I smiled at the idea of being "well-trained" in it. it runs in my family, too, so it can be hard to avoid that , for example. if I'm spending time with my mom. Last year when I did first went paleo my husband and I had a spat because I didn't want him to buy me a sweet when he was feeling down, and he felt like I had cut him off from an avenue that he was accustomed to using to cheer me up. That was kind of an eye-opener for both of us, I think! You learn a lot about yourself when you do this program, I think...

Thanks, Brooklyn.  The first week overall was easier than I anticipated.  I learned a few things though that I can't wait to apply to the next seven days...first and foremost that for all my planning I STILL didn't buy enough food and specifically enough veggies.  PS - your kitties are adorable.  We have two as well.

I did make the decision to stay home last night, which I think was the right one for me.  I need to save all of my willpower for the event we are attending on Sunday.

Unfortunately, and I don't know if it is food related I had a headache last night before bed and woke up with a small one this morning.  I'm hoping water and a full belly will help that.

Day 7, Dinner: Bubba burger grilled, drizzled with French's mustard.  Side of steamed broccoli and butternut squash.  

Day 8, January 8

Breakfast: Aidells Chicken & Apple sausage scrambled with two eggs.  Cara cara orange

Lunch: Canned tuna mixed with Well Fed's Olive Oil mayo and seasoning on a bed of lettuce.  

Whereas I thought today would be much less stressful at my job then yesterday, I was wrong.

I will say, I'm not hungry in my stomach...but my mind is itching for food comfort or alcohol comfort.  I just keep picturing a large glass of red wine in my hand.  I won't do it...but I can't seem to stop thinking about it.

Whereas I thought today would be much less stressful at my job then yesterday, I was wrong.

I will say, I'm not hungry in my stomach...but my mind is itching for food comfort or alcohol comfort.  I just keep picturing a large glass of red wine in my hand.  I won't do it...but I can't seem to stop thinking about it.

Oh man! I totally get this. I'm using tea for this now. It takes some time to find a flavor that hits the spot. It's not a perfect substitute and it can't be, so I'm also pairing it with mindfulness and the pleasure of the ritual. Like: "I'm putting on the water. I'm finding my favorite mug. I'm brewing the tea. Enjoying the feeling of the warm mug in my hands. Seeing the mug next to me, a symbol of the care I'm giving myself." Etc. 

Also, when I cook a nice dinner at home and my husband has a glass of wine or a beer, I pour myself sparkling water into a wine glass. Just drinking out of a long-stemmed glass has pleasure and elegance in it, and I really enjoy that!

Hope you have a good weekend!

Wow!  I knew I had been slacking on entering my log but I didn't realize quite how long it has been!

I've been so caught up with work-stress it definitely fell by the wayside.

The host of the event actually gave us an out after the christening mass was over (all they had for food at the house was cake) so we took it.  So, we were able to show our faces, be there for our friends and not have to watch people eat cake.  A win-win!

This week thankfully we have done enough preparation that the food part has been easy...it's been such a tough week at my job that if it wasn't all in place I could have slipped up.  It's really hard for me to tell if I'm feeling better physically and mentally because of the stress - I get home at night and I'm so exhausted I can't function.  

I STILL want to get on that stupid scale, though.

At this point it would be too tough for me to get all caught up with my log...which is really just me eating a lot of the same stuff. So instead I will just try to keep track of my experiences and how I am feeling.

Last Friday we were able to eat out which was great!  Our local health food store has a cafe so we ordered paleo bowls.  There's a layer of sweet potato on the bottom, topped with kale, carrots, cabbage and the meat of your choice.  We got them without the dressing to fit them into the plan.  It was an expensive bowl of veggies BUT it was nice to feel normal for a night and be able to sit somewhere and eat out.

This week I have been experiencing some pretty unbearable stress levels at work - it does make it hard to really gauge how I'm feeling on Whole30 because that, the deaths of some of my most favorite artists, and my period really messed with my emotions this week.  I've been swinging between high strung and sad.

I'm optimistic for the next few weeks...but you never know!

My victories in the face of everything this week are in no particular order:

1. A birthday cake from my most favorite bakery was brought into the office for a co-workers birthday.  It honestly didn't bother me at all to not have any.

2. I've made it to Day 15!

3. I haven't killed anyone.

4. During the week our alarm is set to go off at 5:40am.  I woke up this morning shortly after 5am and thought to myself, "Well, I just slept so good, I couldn't possibly sleep any more."  I felt really rested and was able to just lay there and enjoy that feeling before starting my day.  I'm normally an early riser - but often I wake up groggy and get tired later.  I do feel like I'm sleeping better (though I'm dreaming even weirder tales and more vividly than normal).

My husband was lucky enough to get offered a ticket to the Patriot playoff game this weekend and he will have quite the challenge with temptations tomorrow.  I know I would have a hard time with it - but so far he's been more daring and able to go out in social situations where I have been avoiding them.

Well, my Sunday night out went fine.  We ate at home before we went to the concert and drank water there.  Apparently my people tolerance is greatly increased the more alcohol I have so I definitely found the packed crowd frustrating and annoying.  

One concern I do have is that I have had a headache since Friday morning.  Nothing I take seems to make it go away completely.  I've tried to increase my veggies to see if I just need to eat more, I've tried drinking extra water, I've tried coffee in case it is caffeine related - and it just is hanging in there.  It's a dull band that goes around the circumference of my head but with most attention given to the area right at the top of my neck/base of my head.  Ugh, its frustrating for sure.

Happy to be past the halfway point, home stretch! 

• 2 weeks later...

I abandoned my log but not the program.  In the end, I'm down 8 lbs and 5.25 inches overall.

My stress level did prove to me that I can do anything if I put my mind to it, I just with I had been in a better mental state to enjoy the process.

Reintroduction is already tough.  The few things we've tried to add in have made us gassy and lose sleep.  It makes me afraid to try anything!

Archived