NorthernLilly's first Whole30

NorthernLilly

My husband and I started our first Whole30 on January 3rd. I planned to start on the 2nd but he preferred we start the 3rd. Since I didn't want this plan to be resented or a battle I went with it. During the week, my work schedule stays the same but 2 days I'm in the office and 3 days I'm working from home. I don't have the luxury of long meal prep on my at home days but I make do with what I have for time.

Day 1: Prepped homemade mayo (first for me and was giddy it turned out), the BBQ sauce from the whole30 book with minimal modifications to get a bit of a smokey flavor, and the ketchup from the book as well. My breakfast sausage tasted more like my meatballs this morning so I need to revisit the spices I put in there to get it more breakfast sausage like. Lunch and dinner turned out well and we stayed on track for the day.

Day 2: I didn't have breakfast prepped other than hardboiled eggs and carrots. I remedied this that evening by making compliant egg-veggie muffin cups for the rest of the week. Lunch was a big salad with homemade ranch, chopped cooked chicken, avocado, sliced almonds, chopped apple. Dinner was spaghetti squash with leftover ratatouille and tomatoes pureed into a sauce and meatballs with another big salad. I found this day I really had trouble enjoying my meals, even tho these are things I would eat and they weren't out of my realm or comfort zone. I also was wishing for crackers all day but I didn't eat any.

Day 3: went a little smoother... couple of those egg muffin things and homemade ketchup and carrots. Lunch was another salad, but I nixed the avocado... this may be the component I don't care for unless it's guacamole. I added a hard boiled egg to it as well. Diner was meatloaf, roasted broccoli and roasted potatoes. I had to find compliant decaf tea today to have in the evenings and found a yummy peppermint one.

So far I've found this week to be ok. I'm on a mission this weekend to go to a couple of stores a little farther away for me to see if I can find some other items for the week I couldn't find in my local grocery stores. I know today is day 4, but it's not done yet - so far, so good but work meetings are getting in the way of the time I have today.

One of my coworkers knows I'm doing this and she's great at checking in on me to see how I'm doing with it so far. I like her curiosity of how I can make some things compliant.

Yesterday was day 5 and was overall good. I'm still feeling really tired, which isn't different from before. I'm also finding I'm having trouble reading enough at my meals to keep me fuller longer - mostly with lunch, and I think part of that is the time crunch I end up having with it. I'll figure it out though.

Today, day 6 was also good. Cooking dinner soon which is breakfast for dinner. I think the hardest part about weekend morning and weeknight breakfast meals for us is no toast.

Just over a week through my first Whole30 and I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Day 6: finished my egg muffin thingies with the homemade ketchup and some carrots for breakfast. Lunch, I made a quick egg salad with my last 2 hard boiled eggs, homemade mayo, mustard and a little sliced almonds for lunch with more carrots. Dinner was really late because I had 4 hours of meetings, I couldn't get the slow cooker on unail 1:30. Made Drip Beef (called many other things including peperoncini beef or Mississippi roast), but made it with a little arrowroot powder mixed with some juice from the pepper jar at the bottom of the slowcooker, then added the beef, and on top of that added the ranch spices from the whole30 ranch recipe but a little more in quantity. Last, the peperoncinis. I was amazed at how well this came out since it was my first time modifying it this way. So good, I already want to make it again.

Day 7: we were on the go most of the day. Breakfast had to be quick and I didn't have anything ready so I had a larabar in the car. Lunch, we split a salad from the Whole Foods salad bar. Whole foods isn't too close to us, but we took our time so I could find certain things and read labels more. I was so excited to find tessemae's dressings, they had a few compliant ones there. I don't mind making my own, but it's nice to have one on hand for a change or if my own runs out and I don't have time to make more. Also got excited to find Epic, I've been wanting something like beef jerry but all the normal stuff has sugar and/or soy. $7 was a little expensive for us, but it tastes good and a couple of the pieces (got the bag with bites) will help me when I have to go longer between meals because of meetings or my drive and I'm starving. Still no luck finding compliant bacon or breakfast sausage, I'll have to try to make my own sausage again - I'll use the recipe on primal palates website, maybe then they won't taste like my meatballs ;) Dinner was roast chicken, which hubby overcooked a little but it didn't matter since I also over roasted the sweet potato cubes and carrots, ah well.

I'll post on day 8 a little later. And some other thoughts from the weekend.

So I can't believe a whole week is already over. I feel less bloated and I was able to wear a pair of jeans I haven't worn for two months because I felt like I was being stuffed into them like sausage in its casing. I don't have increased energy yet, still miss crackers and bread, but so far so good.

Day 8's dinner was Golden Cauliflower Soup and a big salad. I'm jonesin' for broth soup, so it didn't cut it last night. I do, however, have my chicken broth simmering away in my slow cooker from the chicken carcass Saturday night.

Day 9 (so far): veggie egg muffins, had 2... need to pack 3 tomorrow, it wasnt enough today. Lunch was hard boiled egg, watermelon/pineapple/raspberries, raw almonds, mug of chicken broth. Dinner will be a taco salad of sorts with ground turkey, my own taco season blend, salsa/pico, lettuce... and whatever else.

I have more in office days this week and Wednesday is more busy for us than nkrmal, I just read the nom nom paleo kalua pork recipe I keep seeing people mention, and if I have a piece of pork in my freezer, I might put that on for wednesday.

I'm really proud of my husband. He's done so well, fought very little against this. He agrees that it mostly eliminates cheese and bread from us, the rest of the stuff we're not missing too much. I'm hoping this helps him lose a little weight and help his cholesterol before his blood test at the end of February. One thing that did shock me was when he said he's thinking we'll eat this way probably 80% of the time after this. Small victories :)

We are spending more on our weekly groceries, but I'm going to sit down soon and plug it all in to see if we're spending much more than we would be normally with eating out we used to do at least once a week.

Stayed on track days 9 through 13 (today). It was a rough week. Wednesday I was craving sugar like crazy and I was in the office (not normally). I didn't cave, but one coworkers desk had a bowl of mini candy bars... I gave her a razzing but didn't take any.

I'm feeling rather blah on food this week. Tired of everything and haven't been eating the same thing every day, except for eggs. I seriously felt like giving up yesterday, but I'm this far in... I need to keep trucking. Had I not told a close friend at work or had a husband to keep me honest... I probably would have thrown in the towel and had pasta or bread or something yesterday.

Started meal planning for tomorrow's grocery shopping, hoping I'm not blah on food next week too.

My friend at work who knows I'm doing this said she noticed I slimmed down a little, which helps since I feel it with what I'm wearing but don't know if I see it myself.

I put on my under armour shirt (with thumb holes) today and it's not as uncomfortably snug as it was when I bought it mid-Nov. I haven't won it since I bought it. Yay! Hubby is giddy about feeling slimmer himself. Such a girl ;-)

Today is day 14, almost halfway through. Went grocery shopping today. I'm in love with the selection at Whole Foods. Their prices are higher on some products, but their sale prices make this comparable to regular grocery stores around here. We didn't need a beef roast yet, but I couldn't pass up $3.99/lb for the quality meat. We'll cut it in half and freeze it.

It's nice looking at our fridge and seeing it stocked with fruits and veggies. After groceries, we have to squeeze everything in but by mid-week it's roomier.

We shared a salad at WF fir lunch. Should've give for soup, kinda tired of salad for or with so many meals. I change my salads up, I think it's the chewing sometimes ;)

We received our birthday party invite for our niece and nephew... on day 28. Luckily, it's not at their house, though gifts will be after the party fun back at their house and an offer to join them for gifts and dinner of meatball subs and pasta. Mmm... dang it. His SIL will understand when we tell her why we're skipping food with them, the rest of his family... not so much. We haven't told anyone in his family. Come to think of it, mine either but I talk to and see mine way less.

Day 15: tried brat Hans breakfast sausage I found at Whole Foods yesterday, wasn't bad. Made hubby a potato salad to go with the ribs for dinner (not a dish I willfully eat). He was happy it tasted almost like mine normally does. Only change was homemade mayo. I did it a little backwards so I know didn't get it all the same (dressing on top instead of first so I can adjust seasoning). Still hungry after dinner (ribs = not my favorite meal) so I'm drinking some mint tea - I'm freezing anyway.

Tomorrow I'm off from work, I'll probably be in the kitchen for a little. Going to test out my new spiralizer and make zoodles for the first time and homemade meat sauce (or sauce and meatballs, haven't decided).

Phew! Over halfway through now.

Day 16: day off from work, spent (spending) a lot of time in the kitChen - I didn't feel like doing a lot of prep yesterday. Breakfast was great, minus the frustration with the box grater ... I should've pulled out the attachment for the kitChen aid. Shredded hash browns with two perfectly poached eggs on top, slice of prosciutto and raw veggies.

Lunch was tuna salad wrapped in Boston lettuce. It's not toast, but worked for me. More raw veggies and a few black berries.

Today, I've prepped veggie egg muffins and a hearty veggie soup. It's a cold week and I want soup for lunch tomorrow. Browning up some ground beef and simmering a big batch of sauce right now for dinner tonight with zoodles.

Day 17: today was tough, hungry all day. Like starving and could only think about when I was going to be able to eat next. I stuck to it, though. I wanted chips and crackers to fill the hunger and that's what people around me were eating. I ended up eating a larabar on my drive home because it had been over 4 hours since I ate, I was still so hungry, and it was going to be a known minimum of another 2 hours before I could get to eating dinner.

When I got home, I was hungry, exhausted, and cold. It was so cold in my house I didn't want to be in the kitchen. I love cooking, but I have days I don't want to and lately, I've been doing so much work in the kitchen, I'm getting burned out. Hubs was visiting and didn't get home until almost an hour and a half after I did. We then proceeded to make dinner together. I made sure I had more than my normal portion of food. Finally, I can say I'm not hungry. Might get a cup of tea soon, I could use the warmth.

On a day like today, we normally would have ordered subs or a pizza from our town pizza place. We didn't tonight because 1) whole30, 2) over halfway through the whole30, & 3) they're closed for vacation this week :)

sorry but I had to post -  I think you are doing wonderfully !!   It is great that your hubby is doing it with you, makes it so much easier.  I have done 3 whole 30's and was trying to start another one -but lost my ambition. Reading your log has given me inspiration to continue.  Thank you !!

Thanks! I was mostly able to get hi on board with it because his doc wanted him to change his diet to lower cholesterol, so I found it the perfect opportunity to talk him into doing it with me. I'm afraid if I was in this alone, I'd have to move out for the month... or he would anyway ;)

I've felt like given up almost once a week, but not feeling stuffed in my jeans keeps me going... even if I grumble a little.

Good luck with your 4th W30! I appreciate the butt in, it's needed sometimes!

Day 18:is today really day 18? I may have to recount the days, it didn't seem right...

Breakfast was late, but I ate my overcooked egg muffins, slice of prosciutto and baked crispy-is potato. I put another small pot of soup on the stove during my break. It's not as hearty as the one the other day, but it's cold here and the house is feeling the wind gusts... it's a nice addition to my meals today. Just had a bowl of it with leftover tuna salad. Still hungry and time left on break, I'm going to grab a hard boiled egg and some olives... maybe carrot sticks. Tonight is Salisbury steak. Think I'm going to have green beans. Hell want mashed potatoes (bleh...) so I might try my hand at caulirice today.

I have a massive headache and it's making it hard for me to concentrate on work. Hopefully, after I sign off, I'll get right to making dinner so hubs has time to eat begone scooting off to class.

Haha! Cheese is a hard one. We cut back for over a month before (hubby was trying to make changes for his cholesterol) so it made it a little easier to cut it out. I still dream about it... I used to love Steve Urkel for his love for cheese like me.

I haven't felt tiger blood yet, I'm hoping it comes around soon :)

Day 19 went well. Egg muffins, sausage link, carrots. Lunch was soup, hard boiled egg, carrots, guacamole. For once, I wasn't famished between 2 and 4 at work. Dinner was 3 poached eggs, hash, proscuitto, veg soup. Yes, my protein was eggs yesterday, wasn't intention al, just what we had available for the day.

Today, day 20, is going well so far too. Hard boiled eggs, proscuitto. No veg this morning, but ill get it in with lunch... thinking tuna salad in boston lettuce with carrots and veg soup. Trying to figure out dinner and might do some sort of Shepard pie with ground pork and cauliflower.... plus carrots and maybe something else. It's what's in the fridge as stock is getting low :)

I might turn into a carrot soon... they're my preferred veg lately, but I have been incorporating others. They just stand alone usually.

Didn't care for dinner last night. I have issues with meat sometimes and, unfortunately, I got the 'meat' flavor last night when I tried to eat the Shepard's pie. I ended up eating the leftover tuna salad and added a chopped up hard boiled egg, more mayo, and dill relish. Ate with some veggies. It held me over fine until bed at least.

Day 21: no time for breakfast, ended up grabbing a larabar on my way out the door. Was at Whole foods over lunch time, didn't want salad. Hot bar and soups had fewer compliant choices this week than they did last week. We ended up finding something for us to try for lunch, but it wasn't enough for either of us. Also tried kombucha... not a fan. I want to be, but couldn't get past a certain aftertaste I was getting. Dinner I made a turkey chilli with fire roasted tomatoes, cubed butternut squash, lots of hot peppers and an array of seasonings (same but different quantities of the recipe we found 2 months ago for chorizo). Also made some guacamole to help cool it down for me. We also made crispy artichoke hearts with horseradish aioli.... not bad at all.

I'll have to make more mayo tomorrow. Hard to believe we go through it so quickly, but we do use ranch a lot for veggies or salads.

Day 22: made breakfast with hubs - fried eggs, compliant b-fast sausage, hash, hollandaise. It was my first time making hollandaise and I made it too lemony - oh well. Didn't have any veg prepared yet, so skipped it this morning. Ate lunch a little later than I'd like, but finished the rest of my veg soup with a hard boiled egg and hot sauce added to it.

I've been prepping carrots (for eating as well as sliced some for soup I'm making tomorrow), made more clarified butter (more like ghee I think but whatever), made a double batch of mayo, hard boiled 8 eggs... Should've done the whole dozen because I ate one with lunch an made 3 into deviled eggs for hubs (which he devoured).

I'll be going back into the kitchen to make an egg bake. Going to try to do it as a casserole instead of muffins, maybe I won't over cook it. I'll be cutting up more veggies for tomorrow's soup. We're having a roast chicken, I'll start the broth with the carcass in the slowcooker tonight and make soup with some of the broth an leftover chicken.

We were talking yesterday and after reintro, we'll stick with pretty much eating this way for the most part. I've decided I can continue to drink my coffee with a little cashew milk, so we will. But maybe on Fridays, we'll get a coffee out. And one of those nights either eat out or enjoy something of plan at home. Not going to go crazy, why ruin the progress we are already seeing? His blood work is at the end of February, so he's hoping to lose a little more weight and doesn't want to sabotage his cholesterol or anything by going back to the way we were eating. My biometrics screening is 2/4, here's hoping my blood work comes back fine (usually does), my blood pressure isn't considered borderline (I blame it on getting anxious for the needle waiting for me), and my weight will be down enough to at least hit a minimum BMI target... I'll still be called overweight, but at least not obese (I disagree with BMI calculations for the most part).

Day 23:

Breakfast was ok. Didn't overcook my egg bake yesterday, but had trouble choking it down. Ate it, though.

Lunch, I was inspired to make sweet potato hash (really wanted the sweet potato, apple, blueberry one I read yesterday but no time). Both burned and undercooked it... topped it with 2 fried eggs, side of carrots and guacamole.

Turns out I was still hungry, so grabbed a handful of almonds I roasted with sea salt last night.

Dinner will be chicken soup... and something else besides salad. Still working on that part.

I don't have a lot of energy, I'm not sleeping well at night (which is something that I've dealt with for most of my life)... I don't think it's the diet, I think it's me or the dread of facing my job each morning. I mean, I've been feeling less anxiety overwhelm me, but I wish I could go to work with a 'it's a paycheck' attitude and care so that I don't have to feel the way I do. Oh well, things for me personally to figure out and work on.

P.S. not looking forward to the kids bay party saturday... totally going to throw off my whole groove I've gotten into.

Day 24:

Breakfast - had a portion of my egg bake with me at work. Heated it up and couldn't stomach it. Ended up tossing it out. I hate throwing out food, but I couldn't do it... evendors the pice of proscuitto on top. Did not have anywhere near a template breakfast... ate carrots. I've not been feeling well in my stomach for a couple of days, maybe it has to do with that.

Lunch was leftover chicken and veg soup with a hard boiled egg cut in half and thrown in before heating up my bowl in the microwave. Could've used hot sauce... might be the part of me that has been craving some spicy ramen like I had in NYC in November. Serving of fruit (pineapple and raspberries). I feel like there was something else, but perhaps not - just went through everything in my head I had packed.

Dinner was a pork chop, unsweetened applesauce, baked sweet potato rounds, and sautéed red chard (clarified butter and oil, onions, proscuitto pieces, smashed garlic, chopped chard...) topped my chard with a space of vinegar... weird way I prefer my greens, I guess. Oh and had some ranch with dinner.

Day 25: stomach still not feeling the greatest, so breakfast was really light with HB eggs and carrots.

Lunch was leftover tuna salad over fresh spinach splashed with cider vinegar, jicama sticks.

Dinner is going to be Mississippi roast or whatever you want to call it (3rd time making it on W30 with the modifications I made to make it compliant). I'm hoping my beef doesn't shrink crazy like last week because it's been so yummy and I get sad it's all gone. Baked potato for hubs, the other russet for me will be cut and roasted as I'm not a fan of mashed or baked (but give me the skin from the baked potato mmmm). I'll have a hearty veggie soup ready for a side as well. A salad will probably be had tonight as well.

I bought Brussels Sprouts this week... I think I want to try roasting them. Maybe I should do those tonight in place of a salad or should I wait until tomorrow? Hmm...

I went with the Brussel sprouts instead of a asalad. Prepared the the same way as my swiss chard... not bad, not bad. Wondering if I roast them instead and get a little more heat on them if they would be a little better.

Oh... and the eczema on my leg has been bothering me since it reappeared Sunday. I think it's the drug winter air (inside and out). Maybe it'll clear up soon again, I was enjoying not having an itchy spot on my leg.

Day 26: first of all... so hard to find pain reliever without off-plan ingredients, but after reading the inactive igredients on so many boxes, finally found one to try to help with the body pain I'm dealing with (sleeping and/or sitting wrong).

Breakfast was HB egg, jicama, carrots (in carb mode I guess... bout that time).

Lunch was hearty veggie soup I made yesterday topped with another HB egg and a few dashes of habanero hot sauce. Had pineapple and raspberries. Was still hungry but didn't have any other food with me at work today.

Dinner was breakfast... fried eggs, 1/2 sausage, 1 slice proscuitto, hash made from white and sweet potato. Should've had another veg, but what's left is cauliflower and salad... so... not tonight. Ended up making us each a cup of tea tonight.

Ended up walking for about 10 mind on the treadmill this morning on break. Felt like I just needed to move, which is good because I don't move enough most days.

Thought I found a great place to find something to eat Saturday after the b day party since we won't be close to hom3, but the place closes at 4 and I'm quite saddened. I know I'm so close to the end, but would love for someone else to cook a meal for me right now.

Yesterday, day 27, had veggie soup and a HB egg for breakfast. Lunch, I had my egg bake with some hot sauce and carrots. Dinner was ground turkey taco meat on a salad with salsa, olives, guacamole.

Today, day 28... sucked. Breakfast was scrambled eggs with proscuitto. Had to go to the niece & nephew's bay party, but it was over an hour away so it screwed up lunch time. When they broke out the cake, we snuck off to the car and gobbled down what we packed - HB egg and jicama for me; deviled eggs, carrots, ranch for him. I wanted to dive face first in the bowls of salty snacks... pretzels, doritos, cheez doodles... I didn't tho. After the party, I ate my second HB egg and some carrot sticks.

We went back to my brother in laws house, where we kindly and awkwardly declined staying for dinner (spaghetti and meatballs or meatball subs). We still haven't told anyone in his family yet, tho his SIL would be totally supportive. After all, she has a friend who eats paleo most of the time. There just wasn't a good time to tell her with so many skeptical, unsupported others around.

We're making dinner now (why I ate 2 mini meals) which is chicken apple sausage, roasted cauliflower, peppers & onions.

Almost there....

Day 29 in the books.

Breakfast was fried eggs, hash, proscuitto. Lunch was messed up cause I ended up running around a few stores - larabar, HB egg. For dinner we roasted a chicken, half a baked sweet potato, sautéed red chard in onion, garlic, & proscuitto, and a salad with tessemae's dressing.

Slow cooker is on now starting another batch of chicken broth.

Yup... it's day 30.

I've had days where I longingly looked at the calendar asking if it's almost over yet. And there were days, like today, where I looked at the calendar in astonishment over being on the day I was on. I started thinking about what I need to prep for tomorrow and it dawned on me - tomorrow I reintroduce legumes. Hmm...

Breakfast today was HB egg, carrots. Lunch was hearty veggie soup with leftover chicken - ran out of time and didn't feel bad when I finished what I was eating, but I should have grabbed some ranch or guacamole and veggies to try to make my hunger hold out longer... 30 days,and I still have some issues with mealtimes, but time isn't always on my side either. For dinner, made kalua pork, leftover sweet potato, green beans, carrots, couple of cherry tomatoes, and guacamole.... mmm.

Put the cooked chicken broth away for use later (half of it accidentally got left out on the counter last week).

I'm interested to weigh myself tomorrow. Since things are fitting better and/or looser,I'm curious to see what that equates in pounds lost. I don't focus on the number so much... my biometrics is on Thursday and I hoping for them to not tell me Im as overweight as I was last year (won't be enough to earn my insurance savings, but just hate them telling me I need to lose weight when I have a few choice words of how they need to lose weight and probably wear bigger clothes than me... we all hold it differently... but I digress...).

So I'm going to try some hummus tomorrow, fingers crossed as I do enjoy it.

I'm making beef stew on wednesday, but haven't any beef broth... hoping it's not flavorless with water (how I grew up with it being made and was not enjoyable).

Archived