Wow this is going to be HUGE

Jessica S

Hello everyone. I started today. It's gone ok, I had sugar cravings but didn't die from them. I ate 1 larabar, one of the compliant ones. I figure it's better to dive in and use them as I get used to no cookies or bread or health bars containing sugar...

Or should I start my whole30 on the first day I can make it through without eating a larabar to stave off my sugar craving?

Thanks,

Jessica

• Administrators

Honestly, your best bet is the harder road. Not giving in to sugar cravings with compliant things like date and nut bars or almond butter and fruits or nuts. All that happens then is your "sugar dragon" knows that it can keep pitching a fit for something sweet and you give in.

The best way to conquer cravings is to douse them in fat (not nuts!). A handful of olives is generally awesome because it's totally different than sweets, but a spoonful of coconut oil or a half an avocado with salt and a spoon also work well. Remember that the average craving lasts 3-5 minutes so if you can just go distract yourself, it will be over before you know it.

If trying to get off the sugar train is part of why you are doing your Whole30, dig in to the difficult parts that don't feel so good so that in a week or so when you're through it, you are well and truly through it. Dragging it out with Larabars either prolongs the agony or it gets you exactly where you are when you started.

That said, your Whole30 isn't broken because you had a larabar, as long as you kept to the rules, you're fine. But going into tomorrow and the days to come, try and change your relationship with these foods.

Congrats!  No sweets is hard for me and I have had an Rx bar but I'm trying to focus on real food and have been super happy with the revelations I'm having about dealing with feelings rather than just distracting myself with delicious sweets.  Huge things! 

• Administrators

It's so tough not having any sweets. I don't how how I'm going to stay strong for 29 days!

But so far, so good. Not a single sweet yet today.

I remember being so bloody emotionally uncomfortable when I did my first Whole30 and realized just how often I was "medicating" myself with sugar.  Those days that you are pushing through will get easier and the cravings for sugar get less intense.

Archived