TTC and Whole30

ambnille07

My husband and I have decided to TTC starting next week after I get my Paragard removed. I'll be on week 2 of my second Whole30. Anything I should take precautions for? The current multivitamin I take has 200% DV of folic acid; should I add an additional supplement?

You don't need to add an additional supplement apart from a prenatal if you are getting adequate nutrition through your diet, which you are on the Whole30. However, I know the recommendation from integrative or functional practitioners for "folic acid" supplementation is to actually take a vitamin with FOLATE instead of folic acid. It will be listed as “5-methyltetrahydrofolate” or “5-MTHF." Chris Kresser has a great article on the difference between folic acid and folate and some recommendations on brands of vitamins you can take when TTC: http://chriskresser.com/folate-vs-folic-acid.

Good luck!

From my experience, if I don't eat enough starchy veggies I tend to spot pretty heavily, which is not ideal when TTC (I think?). So just make sure you're eating more than the minimum serving size of starchy veggies. Usually, if I eat a fist sized serving at two (or all meals) that is enough to keep my cycle on track. Good luck and baby dust! 

Also, if you've never been tested, MTHFR is something you may want to check before starting a pregnancy.

I have MTHFR and I'm not supposed to take folic acid (it can be an additive in food as well as in supplements).

You can have a chat with an OBGYN before TTC, they have lots of great info on things like proactive testing :)

Archived