Whole832

ellie4

Day Zero - Feb 6, 2016

Hello! My name is Sarah and I'm a third-year (second-year sophomore) music student at The University of Texas. I am committing to Whole eating for the rest of my undergrad, which is the next 832 days. 

In the fall of my sophomore year, I developed a bunch of health problems within a short period of time. Don't really feel the need to get into all of it, but all these health problems triggered me to develop a rare headache disorder called New Daily Persistent Headache. It is a specific type of chronic daily headaches that causes the sufferer to have a non-stop, constant headache. The cause of NDPH is currently unknown and it is nearly impossible to treat effectively. Many NDPH sufferers will have the headache nonstop for years or even decades.

I have had a headache in literally every waking moment since November 7, 2014 at 10:30am. A few months into the headache, I started eating paleo and later autoimmune paleo, and was tested for food sensitivities. These definitely helped lower my pain level, and I followed them pretty well for about 6 months. 

I wasn't diagnosed until I went up the Mayo Clinic in MN in May 2014. The next several months were really challenging emotionally as I came to terms with my diagnosis. I was really struggling from a mental health standpoint and decided that I needed to let the paleo stuff go for a bit because you can really only handle so much at one time. I ended up taking last semester off of music school, too, which was definitely a good decision. 

I have spent a lot of time figuring out how to make this work for me going forward. I do not want to let the headache control my life anymore. I am working to maximize my ability to succeed despite the headache going forward, and I think that Whole eating is definitely going to be a major part of that.

I want to follow Whole eating because it will reduce my pain and will enable me to live my life more fully. The reason that I am committing to eat this way until I graduate is because this headache took a massive toll on my progress as a musician, and I need to take whatever steps I can to be in my best possible health for the rest of my undergrad so that I can reach the level of playing necessary to go forward. 

For now, I am planning to follow a combination of the Wahls Paleo Plus and Autoimmune Protocol and avoid my food sensitivities. These are a bit more restricted than a "regular" Whole30, but comprised of foods within the Whole30 guidelines. I may relax to more standard Whole30 guidelines at some point, but I am going to play that one by ear. I am planning to go off the Whole30 guidelines this August when I go to France for two weeks for a music study program, and I would do the same for any other international travel as well. I also plan to drink wine on my headache anniversary each year. But other than those two exceptions, I will be following this 100% for my Whole 832. 

I will be starting tomorrow, February 7, which will mark 1 year 3 months of headache. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 - February 7, 2016

Breakfast:

Turkey, Carrots, Cabbage, Arugula, Olive Oil, Balsalmic vinegar, marinated artichoke hearts

"Butter" Tea - bengal spice tea with coconut mct oil and collagen powder

Supper:

Beef Scotch tender, carrots, broccoli, leeks, arugula, cooked in coconut oil, sauerkraut

Thank you! Best of luck to you as well!

Day 3 - February 9, 2016

Breakfast:

Radishes, cauliflower, zucchini, kale, cooked in coconut oil, ground pork, tea

Supper:

Okra, Brussel sprouts, arugula, kale, cooked in coconut oil, smoked salmon, sauerkraut, blueberries

Yes, as I said in my intro I am following a combination of Wahls Paleo Plus and Autoimmune Protocol to start. Wahls Paleo Plus is more of a ketogenic diet and so you are only supposed to eat twice a day. I know that is not really Whole30 protocol, but the foods I am eating are all within Whole30, actually a bit more restrictive. WPP is more intensive and often helpful for chronic illness. It was designed to treat MS but I've heard of people with headache disorders following it with good results. I figure it's worth a shot. I may or may not stick with the WPP but either way I will be staying within the Whole30 foods.

I know that this is maybe a bit different than what most people here are doing, but I really need the support and accountability of posting on this forum.

Day 5 - February 11, 2016

Breakfast:

mushrooms, cauliflower, leeks, spinach, cooked in coconut oil, beef pot roast, butter tea

Snack:

blueberries with coconut mct oil

Supper:

arugula, beets, red cabbage, onion, marinated artichoke hearts, olives, zucchini, yellow squash, brussel sprouts, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, corned beef*

*I ate supper at Whole Foods and I specifically asked the deli worker if there was sugar in the corned beef and he said no, so I got it and after I'd eaten it I noticed the sticker that listed the ingredients and sure enough, there was actually sugar in it. I was really bummed because I could have just as easily gotten turkey that doesn't have any sugar. Now I know, I guess. 

You did the best you could and sugar is not a gut disruptor, so you are ok :)

I have eaten at the Whole Foods deli many times, and they can look up the ingredients on the machine that weighs the food - the same one that prints out the label. 

Did you know that Paleo F(x) is in Austin this year? I haven't gone yet but am thinking about it... here is the info - if you are interested, you may be able to volunteer and receive free admittance too :)  Paleo F(x)

Yeah, last year I considered going to one or two events but I ended up not going. I had not thought about volunteering, and I would definitely try to do that except that I'm going to be at home in Kansas City that week. Maybe next year!

Day 6 - February 12, 2016

Breakfast:

Broccoli, okra, spinach, cooked in coconut oil, "butter" tea 

Snack:

more "butter" tea

olives

Supper:

mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini, celery, kale, cooked in coconut oil, tilapia, sauerkraut, blueberries w/mct oil

Done eating for the day, but I might have some tea later on. Tomorrow's going to be a bit challenging because I'm going to Houston to visit a friend who's auditioning at Rice University. Luckily I know of a Japanese restaurant that would work - it's a place where there are little grills in each table and, while they have more complex dishes, you can also order plain meat or vegetables a la carte that are seasoned with just salt and pepper. Maybe I will just take something with to eat for breakfast Sunday morning and that would cover it.

Forgot to post last night:

Day 7 - February 13, 2016

Breakfast:

mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini, celery, kale, cooked in coconut oil, beef pot roast

Supper:

duck, spinach, blackberries, red onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar

My friend's cousin who we were staying with suggested a restaurant and they had this salad which was awesome and easily made compliant (just asked for no cheese and subbed oil/vinegar for the dressing)

Day 8 - February 14, 2016

I have tried starting the Wahls Paleo Plus a few times now and this is the first time I've gotten to day 8!

Breakfast:

arugula, beets, carrots, red onion, red cabbage, artichoke hearts, cucumber, olive oil, red wine vinegar, turkey

Snack:

olives, mixed berries

Supper:

Bacon, kale, onion, asparagus, cooked in the bacon fat, strawberries, cashew butter

If anyone is reading these closely you'd notice cashew butter which is not AIP. That's because I realized this week that to get enough fat to be able to follow WPP, I really need to be including nuts and seeds into my diet. How should I say it...my body has alerted me there is an upper limit to my coconut oil consumption. I have a food sensitivity to avocado, otherwise I'd be set. But as it is, it seems that following both WPP and AIP won't really work for me, at least not at the moment. I did follow AIP for several months last year, and it was good but it did not make a significant difference from regular paleo for me. Part of that is that I have food sensitivities to eggs and tomatoes so I can't eat those anyway. I mostly stayed on it because I didn't particularly miss eating nuts or seeds so I figured I might as well. But, I am hoping that incorporating nuts and seeds as sources of fat will help me with the WPP. I am going to try soaking the nuts - I've read that that's a good thing to do but the reasoning escapes my mind at the moment. 

Day 9 - February 15, 2016

Breakfast: 

broccoli, okra, spinach, cooked in coconut oil, beef pot roast, sauerkraut, almonds

Supper:

leeks, onion, brussel sprouts, cooked in coconut oil, tilapia, spinach, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sauerkraut, strawberries

Snack:

strawberries, cashew butter

I realized today that nut butters are too much of an addictive food for me and, for now, I would be better off avoiding them completely. Even the sugar free nut butters somehow taste sweet and promote old eating habits. I find having the accountability of saying exactly what I'm going to do here, so I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm going to avoid nut butters until day 100

Day 10 - February 16, 2016

Breakfast:

brussels, onion, leeks, spinach cooked in coconut oil, smoked salmon, almonds

Mid-morning:

tea with collagen power and coconut mct oil

Supper:

eye of round steak, yellow peppers, broccoli, cooked in coconut oil, arugula, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sauerkraut

Snack:

almonds, strawberries

Day 11 - February 17, 2016

Breakfast:

eye of round steak, yellow peppers, broccoli, cooked in coconut oil, pumpkin seeds

Snack:

almonds, strawberries

Supper:

baby zucchini, beets, okra, green onions, cooked in coconut oil and lamb fat, ground lamb, sauerkraut, arugula, olive oil, red wine vinegar

Snack:

cashews, strawberries

Sleep: 6 hours

Exercise: none

I have seen other people posting their exercise and I decided that I would start doing that, too. And I thought I'd add sleep to it because my sleep schedule has been a bit of a struggle for me lately. My goal is to get  at least 7 hours a night, and to get to bed at a time that allows me to get up and run in the morning. I am a runner and am starting to train for a race I'm doing this summer. My training schedule is this:

Monday - walk and light strength training (resistance band and easy bodyweight exercises)

Tuesday - run

Wednesday - run

Thursday - run

Friday - walk and light strength training

Saturday - long run

Sunday - cross train

So in the past few days since I decided to try eating paleo foods that are not AIP (aka nuts, seeds, and peppers), I have had some symptoms that make me think that maybe I was benefitting more from AIP than I had thought I was. I have had bloating, inflammation in my arms, lethargy, sometimes a burning sensation in my throat after eating nuts, and sometimes an increase of the headache pain with peppers or nuts. Also, I have noticed that nuts and, as I said before, nut butters, are an incredibly addictive food to me and are promoting poor eating habits I do not want to continue. So, I guess I am back to the WPP/AIP. I guess I can eat a bunch of olives as an extra fat source instead of nuts. Also, this has made me realize that I should probably get re-tested for food sensitivities (it's been just over a year). Fingers crossed that maybe I'm no longer sensitive to avocados because that would solve all my problems. Hopefully that'll be happening in the next week or so.

Day 12 - February 18, 2016

Breakfast:

baby zucchini, beets, okra, green onions, arugula, cooked in coconut oil and lamb fat, ground lamb

Snack:

blueberries and coconut mct oil

Supper:

beets, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, cauliflower, brussels, cabbage, arugula, artichoke hearts, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salmon

Snack:

blueberries, strawberries

Sleep: 7 hours (but too late to get up to run, so...)

So this beginning part of this just seems like endless adjusting, but lately I've noticed how much I'm wanting to snack. I'm eating berries and generally including fat as well, which is fine, but on WPP you are really only supposed to eat twice a day. I'm fine with it if I have a mid-afternoon snack sometimes, but I am going to stop eating after supper because, well, basically because I don't want to do that. It often keeps me up at night because I eat too late, and night-time eating is the most likely time for me to give in to a craving. I'd be fine with me eating after supper when I'm with friends, but not alone. So I guess what I'm "instituting" is: no solo post-supper snacking. 

Also today I ate supper at Whole Foods and I, of course, got this huge plate loaded with veggies. When I was checking out, the guy behind me in line commented, "You can eat all of that? In one sitting?" I was so mad. Why would you comment on a stranger's food choices in the first place, much less trying to make said stranger feel guilty for eating tons of vegetables? I mean, I do eat big meals because I only eat two meals per day. But, I just don't get why a huge plate of vegetables would invite such criticism. And in a weird way it did make me feel really guilty about how much I was eating, when in fact in was not all that much more than I'd make for myself at home. It was really irritating too because today WF happened to have a bunch of different cooked veggies I could eat and even had salmon on the cold bar, and I so excited about my meal until this happened. 

Day 13 - February 19, 2016

Breakfast:

onion, chayote squash, kale, coked in coconut oil, ground lamb, sauerkraut

Snack:

olives

Supper:

mushrooms, celery, red kale, cooked in coconut oil, pork chop, arugula, olive oil

Sleep: 7 hours, but too late to get up on time, so...

Day 14 - February 20, 2016

Breakfast:

mushrooms, celery, red kale, cooked in coconut oil, pork chop

Snack:

olives

Supper:

ground lamb, arugula, spinach, cucumber, olives, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sauerkraut

Sleep: 6.5 hours, but at totally the wrong time

Day 15 - February 21, 2016

Breakfast:

ground beef, spinach, cucumber, olives, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sauerkraut

Supper:

brussels, carrots, beets, watermelon radish, red onion, arugula, olive oil, coconut aminos, artichoke hearts, salmon

Snack:

mixed berries, coconut mct oil

Evening:

tea with coconut mct oil, ghee, and collagen powder

Sleep: 4 hours (agh)

I definitely need to set better limits as to how late I can stay up on weekends...hard when you're friends with night owls. And, I have said no solo post-supper snacking but I messed that one up today. I had originally planned to eat the berries with my supper but then I started journaling and forgot all about them for about an hour and a half. I let myself eat them because I had been planning on eating them before, but I need to make sure in the future to go ahead and eat them as part of the meal like I meant to. Also, I have decided that the "butter" tea in the evening is fine - this safegaurd on post-supper snacking is really because I am most tempted to give into a food craving at night and because eating too late keeps me up at night. Drinking the butter tea doesn't make me want to break the Whole832 and actually makes for a relaxing evening ritual, so it's fine.

I've actually been thinking about how I have quite the sugar dragon and maybe it would be better for me to not eat berries at all for a few weeks. I find myself really craving them and I'm concern that they are effectively becoming a substitute for sugary desserts. I want to change my relationship with food and berries are definitely a food with no brakes. If I have some in the fridge it's like they're calling my name, and I usually end up eating more than I wanted to. Hmm...well, I guess I'm going to say that I will avoid berries (and thereby fruit) for three weeks, until day 36. 

Day 16 - February 22, 2016

Breakfast:

broccoli, chayote squash, spinach, cooked in lard, ground beef, sauerkraut, olives, tea with ghee

Supper:

okra, brussel sprouts, spinach, red kale, cooked in coconut oil and lard, ground beef

Sleep: 7.5 hours

These past few days have been really stressful because I feel like something is not quite right with what I am eating. I keep getting these peculiar arm pains, like inflammation, that I know from past experiences is a way that my body alerts me that I'm feeding it stuff it doesn't want. I've been having some GI symptoms too, and I've feel unusually exhausted and tense. I'm so confused and setting up an appointment with this dietician is taking way longer than it should. 

Day 17 - February 23, 2016

Breakfast:

okra, brussel sprouts, spinach, red kale, cooked in coconut oil and lard, ground beef, tea w/ collagen powder and coconut mct oil

Supper:

onion, butternut squash, collard greens, cooked in ghee, beef eye of round steak, sauerkraut, cucumbers

Evening:

tea w/ collagen powder and coconut mct oil

Sleep: 7.5 hours

Finally got ahold of the dietician today! I'll be going in for testing later this week hopefully and then it'll take a couple weeks to get the results and implement whatever dietary changes come from that. 

Day 18 - February 24, 2016

Breakfast:

onion, butternut squash, collard greens, cooked in ghee, beef oxtail w/onions 

Midday:

Supper:

beets, cauliflower, leeks, spinach, cooked in coconut oil and ghee, beef oxtail w/ onions, sauerkraut, cucumbers

Evening:

Sleep: 9 hours (!)

Exercise: Ran 1.4 miles

I made the beef oxtail and onions in my slow cooker overnight - waking up to delicious warm food is the best!

Today is one of my friend's birthday and I'm going to go over and bake a cake with him later and we're having a mini-party. We were talking about baking this cake and he asked, "How do we make this edible for you?" and I just said, "We don't. But it'll be fun to bake it and I'm fine." He suggested getting me some berries and I said, "Nope, I'm not eating berries for a few weeks because they're too much of a sugary dessert substitution for me right now." I was proud of myself for sticking to that, because I really do want to tame my "sugar dragon" and berries are not helping. I did make sure to eat a big supper and I'm going to take some of my favorite tea over with me so I should be fine. And, I actually don't struggle with cheating when I'm with friends, because they know enough about my dietary restrictions that they'd know I'd be cheating and would ask me about it. But I haven't baked in ages and I am really excited about it, even though I won't be eating any.

Archived