Over indulging on Whole 30 approved foods -Help!

Help! I'm on day 23 of my Whole 30 and I've over-indulged on Whole 30 approved foods at 3 different meals during this time. Am I eating enough or is it just stress? I do feel a little stressed.

Breakfast usually consists of:

3oz meat, 1 1/2 cups non-starchy veggies, and 19gm macadamia nuts

Lunch and dinner typically consist of:

3 oz meat, 19gm macadamia nuts, 1 cup non-starchy veggies, 1/2 c yams, and 1 c. cantaloupe.

I do not eat snacks and attend 3 crossfit classes per week, supplementing with 4 mile walks on the other days.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

What are you overindulging on? Your meals above seem a little scant. If this is a problem with being too hungry, try increasing your serving size of your meat...those seem a little small. Also add some other fats like coconut oil or ghee to all your meals. The combination of those two should fill you up more.

Stress is a huge topic as well and definitely makes people hungrier. Are you managing stress? Taking time to recover and relax? Sleeping enough?

Hi Johnny,

I am overindulging on everything in my original post, particularly Macadamia nuts and fruit. They are so good and easy to reach for. I would stop eating the macadamia nuts but I'm not a big fan of the other monounsaturated good fats listed in the Whole 30 guide book.

Thank you for opening my eyes regarding sleep and stress. I have NOT been getting a full 8 hours, nor have I practiced any real stress management techniques. The first thing I reach for is food. :/ I also have not been drinking enough water which can lead to fatigue and dehydration.

I will try your suggestion to add more fat and protein and see if that helps; thanks. I'm just concerned about my waistline, but maybe my body does in fact need the extra calories...?

I would definitly consider uping your protein intake. Protein is the most satiating of the 3 macronutrients so I think it can help you curb your consumption of nuts. Keep your choices to clean sources and as long as you don't increase your intake by eating lots of fatty meat (i.e. sausage, bacon, and ribs) I don't see this having any negative impact on your waistline.

Thanks Megan, would you suggest I try 3.5 oz or maybe even 4 oz at each meal vs the 3?

I used to see a registered dietician who recommended I consume only 3 oz of meat at one meal, but she had me eating 13 servings of good fat per day (4 svgs at breakfast, 4 at lunch, and 5 at dinner---1 svg of fat was considered 5gms of fat). I've cut my fat svgs to 9 per day since the 13 was not helping my weight loss efforts.

I wish there were a formula that would make this very simple, but I guess all I can do is experiment and see what keeps me satisfied...

Just curious, do you eat 1 cup of cantaloupe at lunch and dinner? Or is that total?

I definitely agree about upping your protein. 9oz is not enough, in my opinion, for the day. I eat at least 5-6 oz of protein at each meal. Try increasing your fat too, attempt to get fat from non nut sources. Too many nuts and too much fruit can really stall weight loss for some people (it certainly does for me!)

Yeah in general nuts are not an amazing fat source...they're a bit overrated because they're so damn easy to munch away on and they're not always the best thing you could be eating! Do you like avocados? Have you tried some homemade guacamole? I put it on eggs, steak, chicken...just about everything!

Archived