Starting March 1st!

ALJamison

I'm planning to start my first Whole30 on 3/1/16.  I'm hoping to gain more energy, alleviate allergies and this annoying scratchy cough that I can't seem to get rid of, and I would LOVE to have clearer skin!  I think the hardest things for me to give up will be coffee with cream & sugar, and wine.  I've already pretty much eliminated grains and legumes, and the only dairy I have is the half & half in my coffee.  I'm going to have an epic struggle with my sugar dragon, I think.  I'm ready to make a change, though, and have a healthier relationship with food.  Here goes!   :D

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also starting on March 1st. I already started cutting out a lot of things such as bread and dairy and cooking whole30 approved recipes for about 2 weeks, but haven't been strict with not cheating. I need a reset after my wedding and going thru the honeymoon happy weight gain. My sugar dragon is a monster at this point.

I would love to join you guys. Have been wanting to do a Whole 30 since January. It's past time for me... have done a couple in the distant past with much success. Looking to pay attention to all nine health factors this time and how I can best contribute to my overall well being and not such a focus on weight loss.

Hey guys!

I would love to join your March Whole30. I finished my first While30 in January but unfortunately immediately woke my sugar dragon back up in early February. I feel my Suger dragon has an extract tight grip on me and I need some restoration and support to help concour it. Hope we can all be there for support during the highs, lows, and everything in between.

Hi ladies,

I too am dabbling with the idea of starting on march first for a round 2.  My sugar dragon is more like dragons lol. 

Yes I understand the sugar dragon(s), I initially screwed up by making some amazing paloe-ifed zucchini bread after my first Whole 30. Since then all hope has been lost, despite my efforts I can't seem to shake that 'after dinner sugar craving'. For some crazy reason if there is one little slip up in the day, my brain goes haywire and it become a free for all, my 'one glass of wine' montage turns into 'eat all things' and before you know it my stomach is twisted and I feel awful. However, that awful feeling for some reason doesn't seem to stop me from doing it all over again the next time I want a little sweetness.

I will need all of your support to truly conquer the sugar dragon this time. I am considering giving up nuts and dried fruits this round because I feel they have hurt me more then helped. What do you guys think?  

Yes I understand the sugar dragon(s), I initially screwed up by making some amazing paloe-ifed zucchini bread after my first Whole 30. Since then all hope has been lost, despite my efforts I can't seem to shake that 'after dinner sugar craving'. For some crazy reason if there is one little slip up in the day, my brain goes haywire and it become a free for all, my 'one glass of wine' montage turns into 'eat all things' and before you know it my stomach is twisted and I feel awful. However, that awful feeling for some reason doesn't seem to stop me from doing it all over again the next time I want a little sweetness.

I will need all of your support to truly conquer the sugar dragon this time. I am considering giving up nuts and dried fruits this round because I feel they have hurt me more then helped. What do you guys think?  

I know for 100% that the nuts and dried fruit bars were my "methadone" foods during round 1. I used them when i had my sugar cravings. But that missed the entire point of the whole 30 which is to reset my body and brain not try to trick it and still get my way. 

I will do things differently this time. I am also not going to weigh myself before or after because Im taking the power away from the number and focusing solely on  NSV and how amazing i will feel

Hi everyone, I too would like to be apart of this March bunch. I've cut out grains,dairy,legumes, and sugar for the past week. I've got a few issues I'm trying to address that I'm hopeful this 30 day reset will help me with. I created my own journal to help keep me on track. I'm working in my journal today in preparation for the 1st. Looking forward to this journey with you all :)

Hello everyone.  I too am planning to start on March 1st and like some other folks in this group I have been weaning myself off dairy, grains, sugar etc for a few weeks now.  The only non-compliant food left in my kitchen are wheat crackers!  I have a health hiccup that I am sure Whole 30 will alleviate AND I am confident that the Whole 30 will help me get restorative sleep - which has been sadly lacking for years.  I look forward to joining with you for the month of March and perhaps even longer. Thanks :-)

I went grocery shopping today and I'm meal planning tomorrow.  I'm pretty excited to get back into the W30 groove!!

I have the Well Fed and Well Fed 2 cookbooks as well as the Whole30 book (not ISWF) and I'm planning to make vinaigrette dressing, italian seasoning and chimichurri, which I've never made before.   I know that if i can make dressings and seasonings to keep the meals interesting, it will go a long way in my success.  I can post any recipes that may be helpful to anyone if you ask....

Hello!! Im starting my first Whole 30 on March 1st 2016 along with my hubby who has (grudgingly) decided to take the plunge with me. We had our first child, a little boy, in November so as first time parents alot of our meals the last few months have been take out or sandwiches that are quickly accessible. Since January, I've already cut out dairy and soy due to my son having issues with it through my breastmilk so I figured hey might as well try Whole30 now when I'm almost doing half the work already! Super excited to get started and to feel better overall.

Sweaty Betty, how many times have you gone through Whole30? I'm a mom of 4 little people and I'm looking into putting together a snack list of things to have on hand. Are there snacks you'd suggest that you've found helpful?

I don't have kids but I am an extremely active person and since I have decided to give up the dried fruits and nuts (due to my over consumption, sugar dragon and weight gain!) I too would appreciate some good snack items to get me through the day.

I know you are only suppose to eat three meals a day, however my day are very busy starting at 4A.M to make breakfast and lunches. Followed by a short bike ride to the gym at 5:30, 6:30 I am on my 40 min bike ride to work. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I have mandatory PT (I'm in the military) which normally consists of a two to five mile run. Following that I spend most of my day fixing electrical equipment and an attempt to finish my online college during lunch. I then ride my bicycle 40 min home (10 miles each way) ariving home at around 5P.M and then dinner and unwinding.

With all this energy I burn through I tend to stuff my self for dinner and sometimes fill up with nuts the second I walk in the house!! So some snack ideas to get me through the day and keep me more sustained would be great.

Also if you guys have an recommendations for portable pre and post workout meals I would appreciate it.

Any opinions on getting a food dehydrator?

Hi everyone!!  I'm starting March 1 too!!  I've already given up my Mountain Dew habit!  That's HUGE!!! I'm on day 2 of no sweet stuffs and I'm craving brownies something fierce!  March 1 will be my dive in day and I'm prepping my meal planner and kitchen now.  I have 3 (16-8) boys still at home (oldest has moved out) who are partially participating.  I work nights (7p-7a) so they spend time with grandparents.  So if it's a meal we are eating as a family, it's going to be W30 compliant.  So far I have a lot of crockpot meals that'll produce leftovers and salads planned.  

I'm doing it for cancer reasons.  That line (This isn't hard.  Drinking coffee black isn't hard.  Beating Cancer is hard) made me feel like Melissa slapped me in the head.  I survived stage 3 Melanoma with a reoccurrence not even a year after diagnosis.  With all of my reading, I've found that changing the ph balance of the body from acidic to alkaline can assist in making it harder for cancer.  Between this, my weight, skin, and thyroid issues... along with my heavy sugar cravings...it's time not just for a diet change, but a back to basics and for the better change.  

Hi everyone!! I too am starting March 1st for the first time. My weakness is carbs....going to be hard to give up cheese also!! I have thyroid issues which cause me to be tired all the time. I'm hoping the Whole30 helps me finally get my good health back!! Looking forward to the challenge and support found here :)

Hi! I've done 2 rounds previously but not back to back. I have a routine of prepping snacks and meals every Sunday so that if my week turns out to be a little more crazy than originally planned, I'm not caught off guard. I sauté chicken breast pieces, portion out veggies and fruits like carrots, celery, cucumber, grapes, strawberries (or berry of choice). Any of the quick portable fruits on the Whole30 Shopping List are ideal such as bananas, oranges, cherries, peaches, plums, are all easy to access and prep to keep little ones happy. AND if you're in a real pinch, compliant protein bars such as Larabar or Epic are available.

Sweaty Betty, how many times have you gone through Whole30? I'm a mom of 4 little people and I'm looking into putting together a snack list of things to have on hand. Are there snacks you'd suggest that you've found helpful?

If looking for pre and post workout ideas, check out the Whole30 website under Whole30 downloads for the Meal Template, there are suggestions listed for both. I found it helpful since I do circuit training 4x a week and cardio 2x a week at 600 am.

I don't have kids but I am an extremely active person and since I have decided to give up the dried fruits and nuts (due to my over consumption, sugar dragon and weight gain!) I too would appreciate some good snack items to get me through the day.

I know you are only suppose to eat three meals a day, however my day are very busy starting at 4A.M to make breakfast and lunches. Followed by a short bike ride to the gym at 5:30, 6:30 I am on my 40 min bike ride to work. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I have mandatory PT (I'm in the military) which normally consists of a two to five mile run. Following that I spend most of my day fixing electrical equipment and an attempt to finish my online college during lunch. I then ride my bicycle 40 min home (10 miles each way) ariving home at around 5P.M and then dinner and unwinding.

With all this energy I burn through I tend to stuff my self for dinner and sometimes fill up with nuts the second I walk in the house!! So some snack ideas to get me through the day and keep me more sustained would be great.

Also if you guys have an recommendations for portable pre and post workout meals I would appreciate it.

Hello all! I am wanting to start my Whole 30 on March 1st also. I have been pocrastinating for several months and it is time for me to make this commitment for myself and my family. I have a chronic illness and I am hoping this will help with energy,mood, and weight loss. I'm really needing an accountability partner to keep me on my game.

I'm starting March 1st too! I have three little boys (5.5, 4, and 14 months) who will not be making this easy for me. I'm going to be faced with a couple of difficult challenges to stay on plan when my kids start weekend baseball, my dad's family birthday dinner, and Easter come around (so much sugar! it's everywhere!). I really want to be healthier and not HAVE to have a bunch of coffee in the morning to get me going. I'll be trying to build an exercise routine to support my new lifestyle as well. While I'm not focusing on weight-loss, I'm going to do a weigh-in/measurements tomorrow to get a starting point. And go shopping for FOOD!

My husband and I are starting March 1st for the first time, inspired by my best friend. I'm studying at the moment so I need to avoid eating whilst I do that, chips (pringles in particular) are my down fall and my husband is a chef surrounded by not great food all day so I can see us needing the support and encouragement from you guys!

Best of luck to everyone.

Hi! I've done 2 rounds previously but not back to back. I have a routine of prepping snacks and meals every Sunday so that if my week turns out to be a little more crazy than originally planned, I'm not caught off guard. I sauté chicken breast pieces, portion out veggies and fruits like carrots, celery, cucumber, grapes, strawberries (or berry of choice). Any of the quick portable fruits on the Whole30 Shopping List are ideal such as bananas, oranges, cherries, peaches, plums, are all easy to access and prep to keep little ones happy. AND if you're in a real pinch, compliant protein bars such as Larabar or Epic are available.

We really wouldn't recommend planning to snack. Ideally you should be planning to have 3 meals, 4-5hrs apart, that are big enough to keep you satiated for that time. Fruit should not be eaten on it's own but rather at the end of a meal, or in a salad as a garnish (blueberries work well for this). Fruit should also be limited to two servings a day however many people with sugar dragon issues discover it's best left off the menu entirely. If you truly are hungry, then have a mini meal of at least two of the three macros - ideally protein & fat (eg. chicken & mayo or a hard boiled egg), protein & carbs (eg. meatballs & roasted peppers), or carbs & fat (maybe celery & mayo). If you work a long day don't be afraid to plan in a 4th meal rather than grazing on snack type foods throughout the day to keep you going. 

If you work out you should be having a pre WO meal of a lean protein + fat so maybe a hard boiled egg, or some chicken & guac for instance, and for post WO have a lean protein + optional starchy carb, with chicken & sweet potato being the favourite. Stick it in a tupperware & eat at room temp, or bring some tinned tuna in spring water.... Eat this immediately upon finishing your training session, and then shower etc & have your next meal - pre & post WO meals ARE IN ADDITION TO your regular meals.

Avoid fat post WO as it will slow down absorption of the protein by the muscle & therefore tamper with recovery, and avoid fruit pre & post WO. Eating fruit pre WO gives your body an immediate energy supply so it won't learn to tap into your fat stores, and eating fruit post WO replenishes liver glycogen when you want to be replenishing muscle glycogen.

Archived