Starting February 22, 2016

busymama07

I am finding it hard to focus and I have some stuff on my mind but work has been unusually stressful this past week.  I finally talked to my husband about feeling a bit sad.  I am sad for some of the students in my classroom anyways, it helped finally letting him in.  I think we are going to take a much needed getaway soon :).

My daughter had her last basketball game today!  Now it is time to meal plan for the week.  I am going to make mayo today so I can have some yummy chicken salads during the week for lunch.

​I totally thought I smelled brownies last night...it was killing me so I went and brushed my teeth, lol.  The thing I am really struggling with these past couple days with has been no cheese.  I am good without milk or yogurt but cheese.  But the way I am feeling internally is so worth giving up these foods.

My husband even really tried this morning when he made breakfast to make something that I could eat.  He was asking me and reading labels :).  He is coming around to understanding a bit more about what I am doing and why.

​Day 6 of 30 is in the books and I am feeling so much better this evening!!  I made oven roasted chicken and potatoes for dinner tonight and I made enough to take for lunch tomorrow at my inlaws house.  Now that my daughter has been watching me these past 6 days she is reading labels and trying to make better choices too.  I get the is she only 8 but I want to give her a positive example for eating healthy.  Going through this is really making me take a look at some of the issues I have just kept inside.  I do not want to be the example I grew up with, I do not want to go on a diet with my teenage daughter.  I want her to see me working out, not just working out but making it a habit, fueling my body with good food that will give me energy to get through my day.

Tomorrow afternoon is grocery shopping for the week :).  For sure this week I am going to have hard boiled eggs on hand, mayo and some roasted red pepper sauce.  If you haven't tried that sauce yet, seriously add it to your menu.  I used it as "pasta sauce" on my zucchini noodles and it was amazing!!!

I was even able to get in 60 minutes of exercise today!!  TurboFire is amazing and I was feeling like I needed a good stretch so I did PiYo.

I hope everyone ended day 6 strong!!

~Jenn

GOOD MORNING!!!!  Man what a difference I am feeling this morning, woohoo!!!!!  My skin is looking amazing, I feel like I am coming out of a fog and man it feels amazing!!!  I was telling my mom all about this and when I see her next month I am introducing her to this amazing book.  Seriously feeling amazing this morning!!  My cheese craving is not nearly as intense :).  Time to plan some amazing meals for this week!!!

Glad to see the fog has lifted. Sounds like things are coming together & I love that your hubby and kids are joining in on the fun. I don't have children but I completely understand the desire to set good habits and not support diet trends. I feel that way toward my nieces, they are part of what inspired me to make smart & healthy decisions when it comes to food and nutrition.

I'm 60lbs overweight and started packing on the pounds after an abusive relationship. They watched my personal transformation from bad to worse to great. As I get older, I believe in the importance of teaching younger generations (really, ANY generation!) how to cook and eat food from the earth.

I'm having a hard time embracing a few of the other more psychological changes with Whole30. I never grew up with family dinners and now that I live alone, eating dinner at the table isn't desirable. I used to go out to eat alone (never having issues sharing a table for one with a good book), but doing it at home somehow feels different. It doesn't feel like a tradition. I try to focus on the food and the act of eating, but find my mind wandering towards more depressing topics. Being single. Loneliness. Being overweight. Dysfunctional family relationships. These are not topics that otherwise impact me in this way. It's rare I feel lonely - I prefer to be solo most of the time.

Maybe I need to further explore my mental & emotional relationship to food.

This weekend was probably the most challenging I've had since I started eating Whole30 on February 1st. It's been a little over a week since I restarted Whole30 after learning corn is off plan. Surprisingly I haven't had many battles with my sugar dragon or the desire to cheat.

Except for today. Last night, I was in a snacking mood. I stayed up bingeing on Netflix later than my normal bedtime and ended up eating an apple around 11pm to quiet the 'beast'. 

Today my body is going through something. Fighting a migraine. Dealing with killer cramps and an upset stomach. Nausea. Now that my migraine has dulled (not disappeared), I want bad food. I want a greasy cheeseburger. Or something fried. Scratch that - MANY things fried. I want cake. Cupcakes. Cookies. My mind thinks it'll make me feel better. My thoughts almost whispering to me that I need this bad food, it's the cure for what ails my body today. As if bad food will cure me and eating smart the past 28 days has brought this pain and agony upon me today.

Sorry for the long rant - thanks for letting me vent. 

I wanted to ask your thoughts about medication & Whole30. I was forced to take tums and Advil this weekend, both which have a form of sugar listed in the ingredients. What do you do for ailments while on the Whole30 (as your body adjusts and heals itself from YEARS of bad habits)?

Hi, welcome to Day 8!!!  Yesterday I reread the part of the book that described the first week broken down and it explained how you might be feeling.  I am finding that it is a withdrawal process of sorts to let go of that craving.  Plus, let's be honest, we are women and when it is near "shark week" all these bad for us sound amazing.

Do you workout too?  Do you have faith??  Sometimes when I am feeling down, sad or depressed something else is going on that I need to workout.

As far as medicine goes, I am not going to be in pain when.  I have taken Tylenol occasionally for headaches this past week.  I get migraines very easily and if I can get something in my system before it gets to bad I can usually ride it out with a dose of Tylenol.

Sunday lunch at my inlaws was a success :).  I packed my own, lol!!  I oven roasted some asparagus while getting ready for church.  So I took some asparagus, and leftover chicken and potatoes from Saturday's dinner.  I was full and satisfied :).  I passed on the fruit for dessert and had a killer workout when we got home.

I don't know what it is like to be in an abusive relationship but I do know what is it like to have no self-worth.  One of the many reasons I am doing this is because it is forcing me to work on my body image.  I had a struggle with food as a teenager, I was told for so long that I was going to be fat like my mom and no one would want to marry me.  So I stopped eating, I would cook fantastic meals for my family and I was losing weight and no one seemed to mind that Jennifer was not eating.  I made up excuses and no one cared.  I would have my 3 carrots for lunch and call it a day, I looked fantastic but I was dying inside.  Then came my best friend, she started to make sure I was eating.  Slowly I came back around but my parents never noticed what I was doing.  I workout in my living room, on purpose, so my husband can see me.  I used to wake up so early and exercise so he couldn't see me.  I used to have to exercise in front of my parents because I was going to get fat and no one would marry me.  I used to have to go a certain amount of miles on the elliptical they had before I could go on a date and if I didn't I had to do all the miles I missed before leaving the house.  I have a very unhealthy relationship with exercise.  The gym terrifies me but I go and zone out trying not to notice people can see me.  It is an issue that I never want my daughter to go through.

​Do you have Facebook??

Day 15!!!!  Day 15!!!!!!  Halfway through my first Whole30!?!?!?!?!  I must admit this weekend was rough :(.  I stayed on point with my nutrition but man was it hard.  I know I am making this harder than it really is.  Yes, this is a challenge but it's not like the recipes are gross or tasteless.  I am making good food and my family is enjoying it.  I am used to my coffee without any sugar and I am enjoying it.  My willpower has been tested at work and I passed with flying colors :).  One thing that I have really noticed is my seasonal allergies.....I have not taken my allergy medication in a week!!!  7 full days of non-misery, 7 full days of hardly any sneezing, 7 full days of not have to use my inhaler in the middle of the night.  That in it self will make this program a winner in my book.  I do plan on limiting my dairy, gluten and sugar once I finish. 

​One thing I made sure I did over the weekend when I had a craving was to clean.  I cleaned my floors, I cleaned my kitchen, I rearranged rooms, lol.  I do notice that when I am not drinking enough water  my cravings are a little more difficult.  Today I am keeping the water nearby :).

Archived