starting next Monday

laurie876

My husband and I are planning to begin next Monday when our boys get home from their out-of-town snow trip (with their older sister and family). We are really excited to get started. We are both in our fifties and have a few health concerns between us. We are hoping to see some improvement! Our biggest concern in meal planning is that my husband works in construction and we need to plan for him to be able to eat a substantial lunch. Which forum would I inquire about that? Cooking? Planning? His sandwich is the anchor that he depends on and is concerned how he will get by without bread. 

• Moderators

My husband and I are planning to begin next Monday when our boys get home from their out-of-town snow trip (with their older sister and family). We are really excited to get started. We are both in our fifties and have a few health concerns between us. We are hoping to see some improvement! Our biggest concern in meal planning is that my husband works in construction and we need to plan for him to be able to eat a substantial lunch. Which forum would I inquire about that? Cooking? Planning? His sandwich is the anchor that he depends on and is concerned how he will get by without bread. 

Meal Planning is probably the best place for that kind of question, although you may also get responses here, since you've mentioned it in your post.

I'd definitely say, for the first week or so as you're figuring this out, pack more than you think he'll need for one meal (and remember that the meal template is based on an individual's palm size, so if his hands are bigger than yours, be sure you're giving him 1-2 palm sized portions of protein, based on his palm, and 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat, based on his thumb), that way if he does get hungry after lunch, he'll have something he can eat and won't have to figure out what he can buy from a restaurant or store while he's hungry and in a hurry to get back to work.

If he has access to a microwave or is okay with cold leftovers, it'll be easier. You can use actual leftovers from the night before, just always make sure you cook extra, or you can cook up several days' worth of something over the weekend so you can just pack up lunches each day with minimal effort. Cooked vegetables tend to be more filling and less likely to cause digestive issues than raw, although if he just really likes raw vegetables, it's definitely fine to have them. A thermos of soup or stew might be nice, especially if he's having to be out in cold weather, but sometimes people find they're not as filling, so be sure to also include other options. 

Archived