Myo inositol: can someone help me with the 'science'?

In the spirit of n=1, I've stumbled across something else I'd like to experiment with at the end of my Whole30. I have PCOS and some studies have shown that women with this condition are often deficient in a nutrient called myo inositol. There are supplements available, but my doctor is hesitant to recommend that I take them because I'm still breastfeeding and no studies have been done. However, my doctor did say that it "certainly couldn't hurt" for me to try to increase my dietary myo inositol.

I've found a list that shows dietary sources high in this nutrient. (Here, if you're interested: http://ajcn.nutritio...9/1954.full.pdf)

Per the study above, some of the highest levels of myo-inositol are found in beans, legumes, and stone-ground wheat. Can someone help me with the science? I remember reading in ISWF that a lot of the nutrients measured in beans and wheat aren't available to humans, so even though it might list 5g of something on the nutrition facts, you aren't really getting that much. Do you think this means that I can't access the inositol in beans and therefore shouldn't bother with them?

I would like to increase my dietary sources of myo inositol, but it doesn't make any sense to eat beans for one nutrient if my body can't even get to it.

(Day 27, by the way!)

• 1 year later...

I am not a biologist so my reading of the Wikipedia article is shaky but it sounds like myo inositol from beans etc is not bio-available unless you break down the anti-nutrients by soaking, sprouting, or fermenting. Obviously this is not ok on a Whole30, but post Whole30 if you want to experiment with more of a Weston Price approach you are of course welcome to do that. Personally I decided I don't have time for that. As for the supplements I'm not sure if they are compliant or not. I couldn't find an ingredient list in my limited searching. My understanding is that this is a B vitamin and it sounds like oranges and cantaloupe are also good sources of it.

Archived