Lessons learned from Whole30, March

pkoyster

Lesson from Day 1

Don't even open that fridge or walk into that pantry for three reasons: A, you are not hungry you are bored - go play. Two, your shoulder devil will start talking to you the minute you do - let's not add more temptation. And D, there is nothing "good" left in there which will just annoy you.

Be happy - stay out of the kitchen unless it is time to cook or eat.

Lessons from Day 3

First) One cannot have too many cutting boards.

I have five and they seem to always be dirty now that I am cooking healthy. I am constantly chopping, slicing, and dicing. All of this leads me to strange day dreams. For instance I wish my entire counter top was made of click-in-place cutting boards with a hole near the wall that went straigt to a garbage can. That way I could chop, slice, dice and then wipe the mess away. Then I could click the used cutting board out of place toss it in the dishwasher and replace it immediately. Doesn't that sound nice?

Second) I need new knives.

I have known this for awhile but I could not justify the purchase when I only use them here and there. Now that I use them three times a day, at least, I am desperate for new knives. I asked for knives in my Easter basket instead of candy. My husband pointed out that I am not a kid and I don't get an Easter basket... I changed that rule quickly.

I know it takes a little chunk of time out of the weekends, but prepping all my veggies on Saturday and pre-portioning nuts and dried mangos has really made it easy for me to throw together healthy meals!

I know it takes a little chunk of time out of the weekends, but prepping all my veggies on Saturday and pre-portioning nuts and dried mangos has really made it easy for me to throw together healthy meals!

I know I know... one night I did prep all my chopping for the next day and things were so smooth and easy and fast. It's a lot of work but either way it is a lot of work. Maybe I will make that my Sunday project tomorrow - if I ever get any energy back :)

Lesson from Day 5

Going to the grocery store late on Saturday has its perks and its downfalls

Perk - some of the organic and grass fed meats were marked down considerably, so was the organic butter

Downfall - all the nice veggies are gone. 

I did ask the veggie guy when the best time to come in for veggies and he told me Tuesday. So I will have to manage until then. 

Note to self: buy veggies on Tuesday and buy meat/butter on Saturday afternoon.

Archived