Starting our second Whole30 on April Fools Day

Collice

No, it's not an April Fools joke, my family and I are actually starting our second whole30 on April Fools Day! Is there anyone else out there who is starting at the same day? It would be great to have some support and someone to bounce ideas and thoughts off of. Plus we are doing this one on a smaller budget ($75-$100 a week) and I'm the only one in the house who knows where the kitchen is! Haha! This is going to be a blast and I'd love to share it with some new found friends.

It might also be prudent for me to mention that I live in jackson, mississippi and am a trained chef (currently a stay at home mommy) and am having to teach myself about cooking healthily. It's become quite a wild ride since January as I made this massively crazy commitment not to allow any processed foods into my house ever again. Therefore I am now the "processor" and I make everything from scratch, including but not limited to food, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, cleaning supplies and personal care products. My goal is to eventually create a completely self sustaining zero waste household. The next big project is to learn how to sew and see where that leads! Haha!

Kirkor, I read your whole thread aloud to my husband and son and we were thrilled and chuckled at it. You offered such wonderful insight and gave us such wonderful ideas. One day id like to do a stretch like yours but involving the "tyrannical two year old" and his "giant father". Haha! Thank you for your support and please keep in touch as I need all the back up I can get.

The only really discouraging thing is that when I talk to people around where I live about paleo or the whole30 is that people where I live look at me like "we've lived this way for years on fried chicken and ner" so I have NO AND I MEAN NO support! Please advise.

Let me also mention to THE WORLD that I started this journey alone after losing my 3 day old son, Uriel, to what doctors called SIDS but what I remain convinced was failure to thrive syndrome (cannot be proved one way or the other). I want to save my family and future options of children. Since my first whole30 I've been able to completely quit all medications and live healthier and be happier.

so I have NO AND I MEAN NO support.

Well, that's the beauty of the internet --- you can connect with like-minded people who aren't necessarily geographically close.

For the in person stuff, you just need to (a) get comfortable being the "weird one" and (b) find other things to talk about when food topics come up ...

You can lead by example to a certain degree, but our way of eating I think ends up making other people feel guilty about their own choices and then they lash out with snarky comments (at least I've experienced that in office environments).

Usually now I just say "oh, I'm doing a low carb thing..." since at least people have heard of that. If people are going to go neener-neener in your face re: fried chicken, well, there's not really any appropriate response to that other than moving on with the conversation. They've made their position clear and there's no point in evangelizing. Like that old joke about arguing is like wrestling with a pig: you just get dirty, and the pig likes it.

You are so correct, sir! We have struggled with this since day 1, especially when it comes to raising our child. Grandparents suck, thank god they're not on this site. I can't seem to show them that mommy daddy and offspring do better when eating and sleeping properly. I'm the crazy one and it's killing me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start "easing" a 2 year old into a whole30? I fell into the kids need juice trap(thank god I made his juice or only gave him 100% juice) and the kids need dairy trap. I am teaching now by being crazy nazi mom that 4 oz juice, 4 oz milk and everything else water will not kill him but it's a battle. He doesn't snack and eats 3 large whole30 approved meals a day, but he's also going through the green is evil phase early (thanks to his extremely picky 7 year old stepsister) but if I make him sit long enough he finishes a meal. He's doing way more than most kids his age around him but I'd like just a little more out of him. I know he can do better. Please help me with advice if you can.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Collice

Archived