benji's fall whole30

Benjamin Shine

Ordered a custom frittata today with arugula, sundried tomato and pancetta. I asked for no toast, but I forgot to ask for no cheese, so it came with grated parmesan on top, which I ate. I didn't want to eat more dairy the rest of the day, though, so I didn't. Gazpacho for a late-lunch snack, dinner of braised greens, brussels sprouts, curried chicken, and indian eggplant. I think my dinner is lacking fat, so I'm about to go enjoy some local almond butter.

Well, that was interesting. Yesterday I was at a pumpkin patch and easily said no to the cupcakes... but then I looked at the other things on the table, and there were gluten-free chocolat chip cookies for free. I had two. Then at Whole Foods, I planned to get unsweetened iced tea, but I ended up getting iced tea that was "just a tad sweet." and *then* I shopped at Target, and somehow I bought and ate a peppermint patty. This is not how I want to be eating.

I see what Melissa meant in the book when she talks about big changes being easier than small changes. Now that I'm not on a Whole 30, I have to make a hundred different food decisions every day.

The peppermint patty tasted *much* sweeter than usual. Usually it tastes almost too minty and not very sweet, almost astringent; yesterday it tasted creamy and sweet like frosting. I'd like to preserve this new palate.

Anybody reading along, do you have suggestions on guidelines to follow to preserve my palate and continue my weight loss but not be painfully strict?

My only suggestion is "no pain no gain". It may be cliche but you don't get something for nothing. Just choose your goal and strive for it. The whole30 is a great structure around which someone can develop their goals. And its not a lifelong commitment, its only 30 days.

Choose a goal, or a purpose and strive for that and that alone. Have tunnel vision and remove peripheral influences. Once achieved then start the next idea.

Just thinking outloud, hope its cool. Been following your log.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived