Starting Monday April 4th

workingmomof3

I'm feeling better today! Less bloated, less grumpy, less exhausted. I didn't have time to prepare food last night, so I'm a little nervous about making it through the day. I brought hard boiled eggs, fruit, almonds, and steamed veggies for breakfast and lunch. I'm going to be starving! Looking forward to the weekend when I can do some better meal prep for next week!

I'm still bloated and a bit constipated, which I'm reading is normal for this stage. I think the mentality that I WILL NOT CHEAT AT ALL, not for any occasion, is good for me. Once I take one bite of something off plan, I throw in the towel on the whole day. I don't need any wiggle room.

I saw a quote this morning that seemed relevant. "Discipline is knowing what you want now and what you want MOST." Well, I want to complete this MOST and live in a body that feels cared for- more than I want a muffin or bread!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started mine on Monday, then found this forum tonight! It is my first time trying this, and so far, so good . . . haven't had any nasty effects nor any cravings so far . . . Planned in advance, cleaned out my cupboards and fridge, then shopped and cooked . . . been really lazy for about 4 years around cooking and food choices, so this may only be the first of a couple of back to back Whole30s, depending on how it goes!!

All the best to everyone who started on Monday!

I included some shredded coconut in a few of my meals this week and just realized today that it has sulfur dioxide...NOOOOOO!!! Guess Day 1 begins again tomorrow! Still planning on keeping it Whole 30 tonight . At least this kind of hiccup happened early on!! Hope no one else is in my boat!

Hi all,

+1 on loving how everyone is sharing their experiences, challenges and successes!

Like everyone else here, I'm on Day 5 and feeling OK. I've had some occasional headaches and have been super tired at night (going to bed about 1.5 hours earlier than normal and falling right to sleep). I'm starting to recognize the difference between being hungry and having a craving and I'm getting way better about eating full meals rather than trying to restrict calories and then finding myself snacking. A couple of super positive things that have happened to me so far:

* Since I'm going to bed earlier, I wake up earlier (and hungry!) so I've had time to actually make a real breakfast and pack a lunch - and even better, I'm not a total grouch! Today's breakfast was delicious.. I roasted some cubed sweet potatoes, chopped up some homemade pork/apple sausage and put an over-easy egg on top. So good! I also finally tried adding coconut milk to my shot of espresso and it was not bad at all!

* When I started this process, I thought my husband would secretly think it was stupid. I asked him not to make fun of me and promised I wouldn't make him or the kids eat different food. After a few days, he actually decided to start eating more like me.. he's going to try to stop drinking sodas, not eat sweet stuff, etc. And, my kids are also intrigued and want to eat more of my food. Good for them, thought they keep stealing my yummy, whole30 compliant stuff!

Overall, it has been a great week! I'm a little worried about this weekend when our family will be super busy running around to soccer games and other activities. Usually on those days we end up eating out somewhere that isn't awesome or super healthy, so I'll have to make sure I plan to bring a stash of approved foods to get me through.

Great job everyone!

Today is day 12 for me.  I started reading the forums today and decided to join.  I posted in another thread inquiring about exercise and health issues.  So far I love  the program. I haven't have a bad meal in 12 days. I had not experience any cravings or discomforts other than one day of stomach cramps and the runs (Day 8). Although I have followed the meal template 100%,  I'm worried that it's too much food and  chances are I might not loose weight this first round, but I'm looking forward to the health benefits.  My coworker was successful in the weight loss area, but she is younger and does not have the health issues I do.  If I have to continue beyond the 30 days, most likely I will until I reach my goal of being healthy and in good shape. 

Hi all,

Wow day 5 already almost over! So far it's been fairly easy for me, no headaches or hangover symptoms so I don't know if that's good or bad. I never had black coffee before, I used to use 4 French vanilla creamers in every cup, but I really don't mind it black at all!

So this weekend will be the biggest challenge, my parents are coming down and always bring lunch and lots of cookies, chips, soda and sweets! They are also bringing dinner. I just plan to feed myself and then use the baby as an excuse to leave the table. I haven't really been tempted but I do miss cheese! Already have breakfast and lunch planned for tomorrow so I will just need to figure out dinner. I also started a 5k training program on Monday, anyone else? I probably haven't run in over a year but so far so good. I'm just really excited about feeling great in just a few weeks and totally nervous about the reintroduction!!!

Hi -- just found this forum, I also started on Monday! It's been interesting so far. I felt like crap day 3 or so, but feeling much better now. I've been enjoying all the cooking, usually my husband cooks. Before starting this, I've been calorie counting. It worked for a while, until it didn't. I am loving the freedom of not counting, and more importantly, not feeling guilty for eating certain foods (I'm looking at you, avocado!). 

I started my meal plan for next week, and I'm looking forward to new tastes. I'm a little concerned about this weekend, being off a regular schedule, but I have a plan!

I'm a day ahead of y'all, but apparently April 3rd was not a popular day to start because I don't see any threads for it.

I went from being a decades-long vegetarian (actually, erstwhile vegan) on April 2nd to a omnivore Whole 30'er on April 3rd. (What can I say, I live in the... dun dun dun... Danger Zone!!) You might think the problem would be that my body wouldn't be used to the meat, but no -- the problem is that I have no idea how to cook it! Like, I have no concept of how to handle it, what it's supposed to look like, what it's supposed to taste like. I got LASIK on Day 3 and knowing that I wouldn't feel like cooking I had made a meatloaf with pasture-raised ground beef the night before. Well, I must not have done something right cause I gave myself food poisoning! There I am, eyeballs freshly lazered, high on the Valium they gave me, puking my guts out. It wasn't as bad as it sounds but it's pretty funny. I am still queasy at the thought of ground beef though.

I still have problems with just plain not liking animal products though. I mean, bacon? Sure. But pork chops? Eggs? Eh, I could, but I'd rather not. On the other hand, dang do I have the vegetable part down pat.

Also, anyone else having problems not with cravings, but with not having any appetite at all? I was happy to see in ISWF that they mention some people do react this way, so it's not just me. Anyone have tips for making themselves eat when they have no appetite? I'm sure once my hormones are regulated it will happen naturally, but how will I get my hormones regulated if I don't eat enough and at the appropriate times?

@fancy_bird welcome! For cooking meats, a meat thermometer may be your bff until you are comfortable cooking meats and can see that they're done. Just read the instructions on how to properly insert it, Google internal temps if your packaging doesn't say, and you should be good to go! I haven't dealt with the non-hunger issue, so maybe someone else has tips on that.

I included some shredded coconut in a few of my meals this week and just realized today that it has sulfur dioxide...NOOOOOO!!! Guess Day 1 begins again tomorrow! Still planning on keeping it Whole 30 tonight . At least this kind of hiccup happened early on!! Hope no one else is in my boat!

The same thing happened to me! Well not exactly but i just restarted and on day 2 now. It's not so bad restarting so early on, especially as a few extra days of eating healthily is good for us! I keep trying to rationalise my way out of this program, but I have to keep reminding myself that I promised myself 30 days, so I'm going to give myself 30 days.

Hello All, 

Day 6 feeling pretty good. It was difficult from a social perspective last night. Everyone had a glass of wine in their hand (thankfully Dr.'s haven't given me the OK to drink yet), Cocktail hour was probably the hardest with all the yummy appetizers getting passed around. Steak was a good choice, served with roasted potatoes and greenbeans and I ate a big salad. Dessert was Flan, which I am not a fan of so that was easy too. The company and laughter was the highlight of the night anyway so all in all It was good night. And I won an Amazon Kindle Fire with a Vera Bradley Case so that was an added bonus :) 

Welcome to so many new members - keep on posting about your challenges and victories it is all inspiring!

Fancy Bird. Everytime I have done Whole 30 (this is my third round) I lose my appetite. I asked a moderator about this, and even this time around SugarCube commented on my post earlier in this thread that it is very important to eat EVEN if you are not hungry. Follow the meal template and make sure you eat 3 meals a day  -  more if you exercise. For me it did eventually balance out, I wasn't starving, but my body got used to eating this way and I would know it was time to fuel. 

Kinsey - I read somewhere that you can also add days at the end, so instead of calling this Day 1 on a restart, still call it Day 6 and plan on doing a Whole 35. I guess it makes it mentally easier and keeps you at the same day as the group you started with. Whatever works best for you!!

Well it's the weekend so that means shopping and prepping later. 

Have a great day Everyone!!

Day 3 and i'm feeling okay - lots of sugar cravings and bargaining with myself, & a bit grumpy at things. I find myself not as hungry at the moment either - but I'm making sure to eat anyway. Apart from those things that are all a little minor I feel reasonable!

I'm studying for an exam at the moment in June with a full time job so luckily my social life is pretty non existent right now which makes things easier ;) I think bank holiday Monday will be tough as there will be a celebratory air everywhere but I'm hoping by then I'll feel more entrenched in the process!

I also started a 5k training program on Monday, anyone else? I probably haven't run in over a year but so far so good. I'm just really excited about feeling great in just a few weeks and totally nervous about the reintroduction!!!

@workingmomof3 I'm happy to talk running with you! You know how they have the "couch to 5k" training plans? I did the "beached whale on the couch to 8k" for a Turkey Trot in 2010 and kept going! Half marathon...marathon...triathlon (who knows what the future holds?). I'm still no rail-thin tiny runner, but I do have an "I can do anything if I put my mind to it" attitude.

I do try to eat the pre and post WO meals. I've been using hard boiled eggs, a bit of avocado or a handful of sunflower seeds, but admittedly this is an area where I'd love some advice.  As I ramp up my mileage prepping for races, I am trying to figure out what to use for fuel in those long runs.  

Happy Day 7 everyone!

So weird how the energy leaves and hits everyone on way different days! I felt like I could barely move Thursday and Friday, but having endless energy this weekend- woohoo! Feeling relieved that it's not as hard as I feared, excited to try more fun recipes too!

Made a new breakfast frittata for the week. This one is 6 eggs, 16 oz liquid (1/2 coconut milk, 1/2 water), sauteed onion, celery, red pepper, cauliflower, homemade andouille sausage, and the end of a bag of frozen spinach plus a handful of chopped parsley, Salt and pepper. 375 degrees for 40 minutes.

I just ate the first piece plus a banana. It was tasty. Sipping coffee now.

My sleep last night was so sound! I'm sure my 6 mile run contributed to that, but I'm going to credit the clean eating too. This morning I felt refreshed when my alarm went off. Unfortunately I discovered that my pooch destroyed the trash overnight, so before coffee I was sweeping and mopping.  :angry:

Before the run I ate my breakfast (frittata plus coffee with coconut milk) and just a banana right after, followed by a lunch fry-up of pork, napa cabbage, ginger, onion and a little sprinkle of almond flour.

Dinner was guacamole, spicy salsa, grilled steak--should've added a veg on the side, but I was being lazy.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday!

Hi All,

I haven't posted for a few days, well frankly I thought I would get updates that things were posted, but alas, I  did not.  I then got so busy, I forgot to just check things out. 

So today is day 8 for me.  Boy there have been ups and downs, though mostly up for me. Felt crappy on day 4 but then rebounded ok.  My friend tells me that this week will be more difficult with respect to the cravings. I am hoping not, since they were not too bad for me, but I guess we shall see.  I have already realized that often I am not hungry but yet my mouth and my brain are saying eat something.  Anyone else get that?  if I stop and think about it, I realize I am not really hungry so I have been good and not eaten anything.  But I can easily see how this could get me into trouble if I am not careful!!!

Question for all of you ... So I am trying to get healthy, and lose weight too! I really need to lose a lot of weight but I am hoping that by focusing on eating right and healthy that the weight will come along with it.  I guess only time will tell.  My question though, is do any of you feel like your life right now, early in this program, revolves almost completely  around food?  I feel like all I do is plan, shop,  cook, and look for more things to plan my foods out.  I am constantly looking for new recipe ideas to make sure I don't get bored. I have a tendency of eating the same thing over and over because it is easy, then I get bored, and frustrated, so I quit. 

My other issue, is that, like one of the other people I have seen on this topic ... although I am not truly vegetarian, I, prior to whole 30 eight days ago, I lived 95% vegetarian. I don't love meat, and when I say meat, I mean beef, chicken, turkey, etc.  I much prefer to only eat meat occasionally.  So this feels a bit difficult but I am hanging in there.  I have probably eaten too much fish as I like it better than the meat.  So I am hoping I get enough protein but sometimes wonder if I am trying so hard that I almost eat too much. Crazy right?!  

So, last night I made a wonderful recipe of Carne Asada with a wonderful Tomatillo Avocado Salsa.  I am  not great at cooking and use recipes for basically everything ... but my husband said it was the best meal he thinks I have ever made! Which says a lot, since he usually says things like when I cook healthy there is not always a lot of flavor, but this was very tasty and flavorful. Wohoo!   He is not eating whole 30 with me, as he travels much of the time, but does follow it if I am cooking. 

Thanks for listening!

I'm on Day 9 and feeling pretty good.  Not Tiger Blood-level good, but good enough to finally go Crossfit for the first time since I started Whole30.  Also, I found the perfect panicking-because-I-didn't-prepare-anything-for-lunch-tomorrow work lunch!  Throw a 100% pasture-raised beef hot dog (I found some deliciously spicy ones at Whole Foods), a sweet potato, some spices, and ghee in your lunchbox.  Microwave the hot dog and sweet potato, then add spices (I used cinnamon and paprika) and a dallop of ghee to the sweet potato.  A sweet and spicy lunch that took all of five minutes to pack AND prepare!  I'm really quite beside myself with this little lunch victory.

Hello all, Wow Day 8. Hope everyone is feeling good and finding the strength and energy to continue on their journey. I am feeling good and starting to get into a nice grove where things are just naturally happening without too much planning. Energy levels are good and my goal for this week is to start trying some new recipes as I do tend to be a creature of habit. 

Fancybird - thanks for the idea I think I would enjoy that lunch too!!

KimberlyW - I posted a similar question the other day about not eating when I am not hungry and was informed by a moderator that it's important to eat every 4-5 hours even if you are not hungry. The absence of hunger is a sign that your hormones are out of balance, so feeling a little bit hungry is actually a good thing. Also, if your fat intake is too high it might make you feel less hungry so take a good look at the template and make sure you are sticking to it. And yes, in the beginning it feels like all you think about is food, what you just ate, what you will eat next, what you can buy etc... but I promise you this will pass. It definitely gets easier. Sorry I can't really help you on the vegetarian questions as I am a meat lover. 

Happy Monday everyone!!

S

Archived