Whole30 after twins

I've tried Whole30 before, but only got to day 6 because I massively failed to plan and I was going it alone. This time around, my SIL is on her second round, my BIL on his first (though they are a few days ahead of me), and I've completely planned out all my meals for the next 30 days (5 breakfast options, 5 lunch options--not including leftovers, and 30 dinner plans). I'm working on the shopping list for all of that now so that it'll be grab and go! My sugar dragon is going to be the hardest part of this, as my sugar consumption has always been out of control. I have tried to taper back over the last week so that it wouldn't hit me too terribly hard this time around. We'll see how that works out! 

Day 1:

Breakfast was 2 eggs fried in ghee, leftover potatoes, 1/4 of an avocado, and a slice of prosciutto. I realized after I ate that I didn't include any veggies except the potatoes. Tomorrow I should have leftovers to include. 

Lunch wasn't until 1:20. I wasn't hungry when I made my oldest 3 their lunch at 11:45, but I forced myself to sit down and eat when the twins woke up from their nap and wanted their own lunch. I had a large salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, several slices of deli turkey (Nature's Promise brand), avocado and Tessamae's Balsamic dressing, with a small side of strawberries I shared with the boys. 

Dinner tonight is lemon pepper chicken with broccoli, sweet potato, and a side salad. 

I need to figure out a crunchy something to put in my salad when I do a protein salad like I did today. It was totally lacking the mouth feel I would usually get with croutons, so while I was satisfied, my mouth was left feeling weird after if that makes sense. I wonder if sunflower seeds or sliced bell pepper would do the trick? 

Was feeling snacky, so I downed a cup of unsweetened tea and went downstairs to do laundry and get some housework done in effort to distract myself. An hour later I was still feeling snacky so I cut up an apple and had that with almond butter. 

For dinner, I ended up doing roasted russet potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. I also discovered my lemon pepper seasoning has sugar in it (so glad I checked--seriously, nothing is safe) so I substituted garlic powder, salt, and pepper on the chicken, then reduced chicken broth and balsamic vinegar in the pan for a sauce. 

Thanks, I'll have to check that out!

Last night I didn't get ANY sleep. I tossed and turned all night long. Popped a melatonin and still didn't sleep! My Fitbit recorded that my longest stretch of sleep without being restless was less than an hour. Boo.

Breakfast was 2 eggs, fried in ghee with leftover potatoes and okra.

Lunch was leftover chicken, a sweet potato with coconut oil and salt, broccoli, and sweet peppers. I also had a few slivers of strawberry. (I had sliced strawberries up on Mother's Day to bring to my IL's and we had some leftovers.)

Dinner is going to be pork chops with green beans and baked potatoes.

I went to the grocery store this morning for milk for the babies and stopped by the meat department. They had ground grass fed beef with a $3 off coupon, so I bought a package of it for a treat. We do not eat red meat at meals shared with my husband because it gives him very painful gout flare ups. I put it in the freezer for now since it had a sell by date of 5/11, but when we get more propane for the grill, I'll make some patties and grill them for breakfast and lunches! I probably only eat red meat 4 or 5 times a year, so it will be a special treat!

I have a suggestion for your salads-- to get that crunchy sensation try adding slivered almonds and jicama (or if you can't find any, then a chopped apple). If you want an Asiany type flavor also with crunch, try sliced water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Lately I've also been adding chopped hearts of palm and canned artichoke hearts, both of which give the salads a really nice briney flavor, and adding some slivered almonds. Mmmmmm. Enjoy!

Archived