Picnic on the Go recipes

debdebdebsky

Planning a family hike this weekend and I suggested we picnic mid-way through the trip for beautiful views.  Super supportive hubby who is doing Whole 30 round 2 with me (day 5) says "Picnic? On Whole30? Not possible."  Challenge accepted - any good ideas for food we can pack in a back pack to eat while hiking?  Fruit is a given, but all our old habits standbys (sandwiches/chips) are out of the question.  Any good recipes for food on the go?

• Moderators

I'd probably opt for meatballs or grilled chicken or steak cut into strips (you could even do a combo of these and let everyone have whichever they want) -- all would taste fine cold. Any of the salads listed here would probably work, but I'm partial to the Belly Dance Beet Salad, and if you're comfortable taking something with mayo in it, the broccoli salad listed there is really good too. Cucumber salad might be a nice, refreshing option. Or just chopped raw vegetables with a couple of options for dips -- non-mayo based options could be sunshine sauce, guacamole, or even a pesto sauce. If you're comfortable taking mayo-based sauces, ranch dressing is always a good option, or this creamy Italian. If you need another fat source, olives travel well. You could have a few nuts for some crunch, just don't overdo them. 

I did a 5 day camping trip that was all Whole30 last week. We went hiking a lot and took a picnic lunch. Here's what I had and my thoughts on it:

- taco salad with ranch dressing (the container for all that lettuce was obnoxiously large in my backpack...)

- pulled pork with coleslaw (favorite meal!)

- homemade cured sausages, sliced veggies (carrots, peppers, fennel, parcel, cucumbers) and pesto (I should have just used ranch but wanted to mix things up. Otherwise a good meal)

- plain hard boiled eggs, mixed vegetable saute with oil dressing (I think I've really finally decided hard boiled eggs are super boring - should have deviled them!)

It's super easy to do. Just don't get stuck in the rut that picnic = sandwich. Bring a fork and just have a regular meal!

Archived