Roberta's First Whole30

bertadee

I started my Whole30 journey on June 1st. It has been an eye opening experience for me!

I believe that I was eating fairly healthy before, but as I look back I see that I relied on bread and peanut butter a lot. Most evenings I came home from work exhausted and poured myself a cocktail. I snacked on crackers and cheese, popcorn, and peanuts. I watched my portions and counted calories but I have been struggling to lose weight. No wonder!

I'm reading "It Starts With Food" for the second time, and I have the latest edition of the Whole30 on my coffee table. I reference that book often for recipes and meal ideas. I am learning so much!

I am feeling really good. I sleep good, and I get fewer headaches. I used to snack all day - fruit and veggies with hummus - but now my meals usually satisfy me until the next mealtime. If I get hungry between meals I have an apple and some almonds.

Today's meals:

B - hard boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, tomato slices, blueberries and banana with coconut milk. Coffee

L - mashed carrots and turnips with clarified butter, broccoli, roasted chicken

D - shrimp and crab with clarified butter; salad with beets, mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower dressed with EVOO and vinegar; melon

Day 18 - Saturday is meal planning day for me. I don't get too crazy with this because I am used to cooking and thinking ahead...thank goodness! I'm going to try the salmon cakes this week though, so I have to make sure to include almond flour and canned sweet potatoes on my shopping list. Other evening meals will be pork chops, orange roughy, and chicken. I think I'll also make some tomato sauce and brown some ground beef. Breakfasts for me are usually eggs, or leftovers from the night before. I love coconut milk in my coffee, so I may be getting a little too much fat for the morning meal. I'll evaluate that on day 31 or so. I'll make a tuna protein salad and have that with some romaine lettuce leaves, veggies and guacamole for a few lunches. I also frequently pack leftovers. 

Here's a great tip I learned on Pinterest - to cook your spaghetti squash, slice it into rounds, remove the seeds, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper and roast on a sheet pan; 425 for about 45 minutes. It's so easy to separate the strands this way! Plus the squash cooks up nicely caramelized with an al dente type of texture that is really yummy. 

Still feeling really good. 

Day 20 - Yesterday (Sunday) is usually a prep day for me, however, my puppies had a grooming appointment in a town about 40 miles away so that derailed most of the afternoon.

I learned something important yesterday - it is critical to PLAN ahead so that you don't get caught off guard! I found myself realizing that I would be on the road with no good food options for lunch. I packed some veggies and Wholly guacamole, and an apple with some almonds but it wasn't enough to really satisfy me until dinnertime. By the time I got home I was starving, I had a headache, and I still had to prepare dinner. Not fun. Note to self: have hard boiled eggs, tuna (or other protein) salad, meat muffins, compliant deli turkey, and other grab and go options available. I also need to have a few ready to microwave meals in the freezer!

Otherwise I am feeling really good, sleeping well, and enjoying my food. I am getting headaches, which kind of upsets me because about a week ago my headaches had almost completely stopped. I am still taking Claritin for allergies, so maybe I need to quit that. I had stopped early in the W30, but the symptoms were still so bad that I started taking it again. 

Day 21! I made the salmon cakes for dinner last night and had plenty for a couple more meals. I've been experimenting with adding turmeric to my meals so I put a tsp in the salmon mixture - turned out great. Since the oven was already on to bake the salmon cakes I decided to roast some sweet potatoes as well, cubed and drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper - yummy. For my veggies I sauteed some onion and garlic and then added 2 zucchini, sliced, 2 yellow squash, sliced, and a can of artichoke hearts, sliced - salt and pepper. I used coconut oil for cooking the veg. Lots left over so I'll have some with my pork chop for dinner tonight. I'm trying to decide if I want to use up that cauliflower rice that I put in the freezer, or if I want to boil a potato. 

Interesting thought about the headaches - I went to the eye doctor a couple of weeks ago and he changed my prescription slightly. That could be causing my headaches. I'll switch back to my other contacts for a few days and see how I do. 

• Administrators

Day 21! I made the salmon cakes for dinner last night and had plenty for a couple more meals. I've been experimenting with adding turmeric to my meals so I put a tsp in the salmon mixture - turned out great. Since the oven was already on to bake the salmon cakes I decided to roast some sweet potatoes as well, cubed and drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper - yummy. For my veggies I sauteed some onion and garlic and then added 2 zucchini, sliced, 2 yellow squash, sliced, and a can of artichoke hearts, sliced - salt and pepper. I used coconut oil for cooking the veg. Lots left over so I'll have some with my pork chop for dinner tonight. I'm trying to decide if I want to use up that cauliflower rice that I put in the freezer, or if I want to boil a potato. 

Interesting thought about the headaches - I went to the eye doctor a couple of weeks ago and he changed my prescription slightly. That could be causing my headaches. I'll switch back to my other contacts for a few days and see how I do. 

I had headaches in my first Whole30.  I came to it with a many-years-history of daily headaches and menstrual migraines and hoped to see it resolve.  It got awful for the first couple days, better for a few, terrible for the second week, better again and then a relapse closer to the end. But since that first Whole30 and a fairly solid "Whole30-ish" life for the last 3 years, it is a rare, rare occurrence that I get a headache.  And this coming from someone who used to have bottles of Advil in every purse, desk drawer, car cupholder, pocket.  Possible you might just need to ride it out.  Definitely won't hurt to drink lots of water, just to be sure dehydration isn't exacerbating any symptoms you are having.  

Day 22 - Thank you Lady Shandy for the reply about my headaches; I will definitely ride it out because, like you, I am used to having tension headaches daily and swallowing way too many acetaminophen. I've also switched back to my other prescription of contacts and I'll see how that goes for a couple of days. If there is really no change I'll go ahead and order some with the new scrip because I can see slightly better for up close work.  Bottom line is, I know that this way of eating is nothing but good for me and that I will reap the benefits for the rest of my life. 

Last night I made lobster salad for today and tomorrow's lunch. My dad had purchased bags of Maine lobster tails several months ago and I have a bag of them in my freezer. Somehow I feel guilty eating lobster when it's not a special occasion (or at least sharing with Dad)! Absolutely delicious though with some celery and the homemade mayonnaise. I had it with romaine leaves, and some berries for dessert. I need to make a new batch of mayo this evening - 

Day 23 - last night for supper I sauteed a pork chop in clarified butter, started on medium high to get it nice and caramelized and then turned it down to low and covered it to finish cooking. It was moist and delicious! I paired this with cauliflower rice mixed with clarified butter and salt and pepper, and sauteed veggies. I had a bowl of berries with coconut milk for dessert. Very satisfying.

I found myself eating a small box of raisins last night right before bed (again); I need to watch this as I'm afraid it may be becoming a habit. 

• Administrators

Day 23 - last night for supper I sauteed a pork chop in clarified butter, started on medium high to get it nice and caramelized and then turned it down to low and covered it to finish cooking. It was moist and delicious! I paired this with cauliflower rice mixed with clarified butter and salt and pepper, and sauteed veggies. I had a bowl of berries with coconut milk for dessert. Very satisfying.

I found myself eating a small box of raisins last night right before bed (again); I need to watch this as I'm afraid it may be becoming a habit. 

These two things I've bolded are leading to each other. Specifically, the need for "dessert" and then using berries and coconut milk as a compliant option could easily be causing your sugar cravings which leads to you eating raisins (very high in sugar) before bed.

If I may be so bold as to suggest you spend the rest of your Whole30 paying attention to that relationship you're having with food and desserts/sweets and do some of the "dig-deep" work to try and make some changes?

Thank you again for checking in on me and making the suggestion to "dig deep" in regard to my relationship with food. I will, of course, take your advice and continue to work on my relationship with food and in the same context, my relationship with my body.

I've always loved food - all the aspects of it; planning, shopping, preparing, and eating. In the summer I love to eat all of the delicious fruit that is in season, and Whole30 recommends that fruit be eaten as part of a meal. To me, it makes sense to have it after I've finished my savory food. Is that messed up? I'm not sure.

I've tried all kinds of eating plans throughout my life, mostly calorie restriction and low fat. For years I followed the Weight Watchers protocol that had me limiting fat and eating as many veggies and fruits as I wanted. I think that my metabolism needs some healing now, and I'm really enjoying what I'm noticing by following the Whole30 program. 

Over the past 12 months or so I've been exploring the emotional side of my relationship with, and connection to, food - I've been working on cognitive behavioral techniques, and exploring the notion of fasting and learning that hunger is not an emergency. I'm definitely a work in progress!

I did not have any raisins last night - but I did have some blueberries with coconut milk with my third meal of fish, brussels sprouts and boiled potato with clarified butter. 

• Administrators

I've always loved food - all the aspects of it; planning, shopping, preparing, and eating. In the summer I love to eat all of the delicious fruit that is in season, and Whole30 recommends that fruit be eaten as part of a meal. To me, it makes sense to have it after I've finished my savory food. Is that messed up? I'm not sure.

Not messed up at all and having fruit with a meal is totally fine.  What we encourage you to work on is whether or not you need that sweetness at the end of a meal to feel satisfied.  Try going without a couple times and see how you feel.  Unsatisfied? Cravey? Resentful? Sad? Like you're missing out on something?  If you have a good relationship with your bowl of berries at the end of your meal, then great.  If not.........it's something to look at. :)

Hi Ladyshanny - thanks again for keeping track of me and commenting on my posts! It's great to know that you are out there and care about my progress. I'll examine my feelings about fruit over the next few days...but I do hate passing up the berries this time of year!!

Yesterday I roasted a turkey, and while it was cooking I also roasted a pan of sweet potatoes and russets that had been cubed and drizzled with olive oil. I roasted my spaghetti squash for a meal later this week, and roasted some beets to have with dinner and for leftovers for a few days. It may seem weird to roast turkey in the summer, but I love it and the bounty it yields is phenomenal! I have the carcass and some of the meat in the freezer for soup next weekend, I sent some food home with Dad, and I have a fridge full of yummy goodness to eat throughout the week. I roasted it with quartered lemons and fresh herbs stuffed into the cavities, slathered with clarified butter. So good. 

Breakfast - sweet potatoes and white potatoes, asparagus, 2 fried eggs, coffee w/ coconut milk

Lunch - turkey salad made with homemade mayo and chopped celery, eaten with romaine leaves; 1/2 diced avocado and tomato drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice; banana

Dinner - pork loin chop, cauliflower rice with clarified butter, brussels sprouts 

I can't believe it's day 27! What seemed so difficult four weeks ago is now becoming second nature. I'm feeling really good, although I still have a bit of a headache once in a while. 

Day 28 - feeling really good, and my clothes are fitting much better. Even my shoes feel more comfortable! That's a good sign that bloating has diminished. 

Yesterday I didn't get home until late, and I didn't have the dinner I had planned. I had two deviled eggs and some berries with coconut milk. I know that I shouldn't let fruit replace the veggies on my plate, but it was the easiest choice at the time. I loaded up on veggies throughout the day though.

Today I had 3 hard boiled eggs with a half an avocado and tomatoes for breakfast; coffee w/ coconut milk. Lunch is turkey salad with romaine leaves, beets, slice veggies with guacamole. Dinner tonight is leftover turkey, sweet and white potatoes, and asparagus. I need to prepare more clarified butter and some mayo tonight as well. I don't think I'll ever go back to store bought mayonnaise!!

Day 30! Feeling great, sleeping good, feeling more comfortable in clothes, quit taking allergy medicine and feeling good. Enjoying my food, enjoying the ritual of preparation. 

The thing I am struggling with the most is the notion of having fruit as part of a recipe instead of enjoying it on it's own at the end of a meal. Yes I understand that the association is with "dessert" and that I may fall into a mindset of needing something sweet to feel satisfied. 

Fruit is delicious, and nutritious. I know that I should be careful not to overdo, and to be sure that I'm eating plenty of vegetables.

Today's menu - for breakfast I had 3 eggs, scrambled with onion and bell pepper served with 1/2 avocado, tomatoes, and steamed spinach; coffee with coconut milk. Work has been crazy and I wasn't able to get a proper lunch break, so I'm having red pepper strips, celery and carrot sticks, guacamole and diced watermelon and cantaloupe. For dinner I'm having spaghetti squash with meat sauce and broccoli with clarified butter. 

I'm going to do a very slow roll reintroduction. I'm feeling a little bit scared to reintroduce anything!

July 1st - I completed my first Whole30 and I feel great! In addition to all of the awesome benefits I note above, I lost 5.8 pounds. I'm happy and I will continue eating this way for the foreseeable future - Whole 9 here I come!

• Administrators

July 1st - I completed my first Whole30 and I feel great! In addition to all of the awesome benefits I note above, I lost 5.8 pounds. I'm happy and I will continue eating this way for the foreseeable future - Whole 9 here I come!

Good for you, I'm really happy for you!   :D

Archived