Potatoes, how many is too many?

I love potatoes, but how many is too many in a day/week? They are by no means SWYPO for me...I can make a sensible portion and be just fine, not crave more, go crazy, etc. But lately I've been wondering if they are hindering my progress? I generally would have a serving with breakfast and then typically most nights another serving with dinner (+ another veg). 

I'm trying to cut them out this week or eat them very sparingly to see how I feel/if anything changes...just didn't know if others had experience with this and could chime in? 

How many is too many depends very much on how you feel. How are your energy levels? Your mood? How active are you?

My energy levels are always low and have been - I've completed one round with no change in energy and have continued to eat 85% Whole30 since then, another month and a half or so. My only time I go off eating Whole30 is typically the weekends with maybe a drink or some gluten. No change in energy from eating like this unfortunately....which I assume could be a whole different problem entirely. I know some people need more than 30 days to see change but I generally ate pretty healthy before my first round, but I was still eating dairy and grains/gluten (grains/gluten are fine but dairy is a big NO I've found out). I run 3 times a week, 3 miles.  

Then I'd be inclined to suggest you cut back the starchy veg (remembering there are lots of other types of starchy veg) to once a day - and I'd recommend that to be eaten at meal three to avoid any possible impact to blood sugar - and most likely increase your fat.

What do the rest of your meals look like?

Then I'd be inclined to suggest you cut back the starchy veg (remembering there are lots of other types of starchy veg) to once a day - and I'd recommend that to be eaten at meal three to avoid any possible impact to blood sugar - and most likely increase your fat.

What do the rest of your meals look like?

Once a day is doable...I was typically having them at breakfast and almost always dinner. Totally know I have to eat more fat, especially at breakfast  :(

A typical day this week (after deciding to limit starchy veg) would be as follows: (this was yesterday)

B: palmfull ground pork, a cup of sauteed zucchini and asparagus tips, 2 eggs + had some grapes because I was still hungry....less starchy veg at breakfast doesn't keep me full as long...that's where the fat comes in  ;)

L: chicken salad made with homemade pesto mayo, cherry tomatoes, spinach and artichoke hearts

D: 2 applegate hot dogs, broccoli, tumeric cauliflower rice (veg took up over half my plate) both topped with coconut oil after cooking

Hungry an hour or so after dinner so I had a spoonful of alomond butter

A typical day LAST week (before cutting out starchy veg) would be as follows:

B: palmfull of ground sausage, asparagus tips, two eggs, 1 small red potato sauteed in olive oil

L: medium sized chicken thigh, over a cup of green beans, marinara sauce and handful of green olives OR half bell pepper stuffed with ground sausage, spinach, shredded carrots and marinara with red potatoes on the side, maybe 1.5 small ones (alternated between these two lunches all week)

D: hamburger patty lettuce wrapped with mustard, 2 small red potatoes (both fit in the palm of my hand), steamed broccoli topped with coconut oil after cooking

Thanks for your help!! 

Yesh, it's not the lack of starch that's leaving you less satiated in the morning, it's the lack of fat. I wouldn't count the fat in the egg yolk, nor would I count the fat used for cooking - there's no addiitonal fat at all in this meal, leaving you playing catch up for the remainder of the day.

And whilst coconut oil is an excellent source of fat I don't find it particularly satiating, so when you come to your other meals perhaps you're falling short there too. Switch it up sometimes - add creamy home made mayo, half an avocado, rely a little more on lives - fats you can get your teeth into.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that starches provide energy & so they keep increasing them when their energy is low which often has the oppostite of the desired effect. The potatoes (and other starchy veg) will provide fibre (and nutrients) but the starch is kind of a replacement for sugar as it impacts blood sugar, so whilst it does provide a temporary fuel source what people really need to do is embrace the fat.

Fat provides a slow, sustained release of energy. Fat leaves you satiated. Fat quashes cravings. Fat helps carry fat soluble vitamins around the body. Fat also leaves you happy because it's required for brain health.

Yesh, it's not the lack of starch that's leaving you less satiated in the morning, it's the lack of fat. I wouldn't count the fat in the egg yolk, nor would I count the fat used for cooking - there's no addiitonal fat at all in this meal, leaving you playing catch up for the remainder of the day.

And whilst coconut oil is an excellent source of fat I don't find it particularly satiating, so when you come to your other meals perhaps you're falling short there too. Switch it up sometimes - add creamy home made mayo, half an avocado, rely a little more on lives - fats you can get your teeth into.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that starches provide energy & so they keep increasing them when their energy is low which often has the oppostite of the desired effect. The potatoes (and other starchy veg) will provide fibre (and nutrients) but the starch is kind of a replacement for sugar as it impacts blood sugar, so whilst it does provide a temporary fuel source what people really need to do is embrace the fat.

Fat provides a slow, sustained release of energy. Fat leaves you satiated. Fat quashes cravings. Fat helps carry fat soluble vitamins around the body. Fat also leaves you happy because it's required for brain health.

Thanks for that! Something I feel like I knew in the back of my head but kept pushing it away - I will definitely be taking your advice :) 

Archived