How do recipes fit the template?

Ebba

Hello!  I'm on day 14 of my first ever Whole30.  It's going well, and I feel great!

I have a question about the template...  If I make a recipe, such as butternut squash puree with roasted garlic, or cauliflower rice, does this count as a vege on my plate?  This morning I had a grilled chicken breast with coconut curry sauce and some cauliflower mash.  Does this seem to fit the template for a meal? Is that cauliflower mash considered a vegetable? Thanks!

• Moderators

Yes, those do count as vegetables. The butternut squash is a fairly starchy vegetable, so depending on your activity level, you may not want to have it all the time. Cauliflower isn't really starchy, it's just a vegetable, have as much of it as you wish (although it's in the cruciferous family with broccoli and brussel sprouts, so if those tend to bother you in large quantities, you may want to pay attention to how you're feeling -- some people experience gas and bloating when they eat a lot of that type of vegetable).

Aim for 1-3 cups of vegetables at each meal, so your grilled chicken and cauliflower this morning is a good start, but depending on how much cauliflower you had, you might want to include more vegetables of some sort with that.

Archived