PMS & Cravings

asekal54

Hi all,

I’m having some trouble with satiation this morning. I’m PMSing & when I have PMS [it’s more like PMDD for anyone familiar with the term] I just want to eat. Before Whole30 I was eating clean, so my cravings have not been for chocolate or any of the “normal” cravings one might get during PMS. It’s just this really intense urge to eat more, especially when I’m at work because I get bored at work. I’m on day 20 & up until now I haven’t had any issues with cravings really. I know I’m PMSing because I have some other symptoms, too. I just finished breakfast & want to eat more. I’m not physically hungry. I just want to eat. For example, I was prepping Sunday & kept eating the mini peppers I was cutting up even though I wasn’t hungry. Typing this out is helping a bit but I’m wondering what else I can do. I’ve seen conflicting information about how actually eating a little more during PMS is a good thing. I’m not sure what I should do. In the past I would fight it as much as I could but eventually would have a spoonful of almond butter or peanut butter or snack on baby carrots…just something to make me not go crazy. For breakfast I just had a casserole [eggs, compliant sausage, spinach, onion, peppers, zucchini], sweet potato hash [sweet potato & apple steamed in coconut oil], & half an avocado. I am really considering eating the rest of that avocado. Usually my breakfast holds me about 4 – 5 hours, depending on the day. I have water I can sip on. I’m at work but our systems aren’t working so there’s not much I can actually do for work right now. I don’t know if there are times with PMS where I should be giving into the urge to eat more or if I should just be treating it like a craving.

Relax and know that this is normal.  And yes do eat.  My meals have a tendency to double in size up to a week before my period.  I literally become a walking stomach.  

Some things to include:  At least 2 fist sized starchy veg a day.  You can eat one with each meal if you feel you need to.

Increase your protein and fat.  You can start with adding a 1/2 palm more and see how it goes. If you are still hungry after that - include more.

You body is using a ton of energy preparing itself for pregnancy each and every month.  Give it good solid foods - it's okay that you eat more than normal.  Your body needs it at this time.

I'm so happy you posted about this, thank you!  I also have PMDD.  I started my Whole30 about 5 days before my period.   I definitely understand the cravings and allowed myself to eat an extra serving or allowed myself an extra snack.   I've noticed that my period is lighter this time around.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the Whole30 and exercise.  I'm on Day 8 now. I worry that I'm eating too much, in general.  Have you noticed any regulation in your hormone levels or improvement in mood on your third week?  

Thank you both for the responses! Regarding my mood: I have seen an improvement since I started clean eating back in February. I think the Whole30 has possibly improved it further. It used to be that I'd be unbearably irritable for up to two weeks or even longer; these days it's a few days at most.

Archived